Carrying With A Physical Disability

This is a discussion on Carrying With A Physical Disability within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by sensei2 one suggestion that i don't think anyone has made to you yet, is to consider carrying two guns. in your situation, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Carrying With A Physical Disability

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    one suggestion that i don't think anyone has made to you yet, is to consider carrying two guns. in your situation, reloading is likely to be more difficult than it would be for most folks whose mobility is unimpaired, and reloading quickly also requires two unencumbered arms/hands as well as access to the reload.

having a second weapon would also give you a choice in accessing a weapon, should one be harder to reach because you were on the ground, or couldn't use one arm, or whatever. i would recommend having the guns in different places and where you can get to at least one gun regardless of which hand you use.

you would also need to practice accessing and shooting with either hand.

high capacity weapons would also be a good choice. such as a 15+1 Glock 19.
    I have been practicing with both hands, and I'm accurate with both. More practice will definitely help me tighten my patterns with my non-dominant hand though. My new gun comes in on Thursday. It's a Springfield XDM 3.8" .40. One mag holds only 11, but if I move to the extended mag, it holds 16+1. I'm thinking I can probably still carry with the extended mag pretty comfortably, but we'll see.

One thing that I have been thinking about a lot is the fact that my company doesn't allow you to keep a gun in your locked car in the parking lot. There is a bill that has passed the senate that should hopefully change that, but until then, I can't really even have it with me through the week, and that is bothersome because I make most of my stops after work, so......It somewhat defeats the purpose. That's where I'd definitely need to rely on an alternative method of some sort.

2. Remove Ads

I would look into the Smart Carry holster as one of several carry methods.

Another method would be wearing a shoulder holster underneath your shirt. I've seen a lot of people do this. Wear a dark colored T-shirt, then put on the shoulder holster, and then wear a button up shirt but leave the top three or four buttons un-buttoned (or completely unbuttoned) for easy access to the gun. Wearing a colored T-Shirt underneath makes just look like you are dressing casual.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Someone already mentioned getting a self defense instructor/instruction. Your canes can make very deadly weapons when used correctly. With your upper body strength it would be a good alternate defense option when you couldn't get to your gun or it ran dry or you needed less than lethal force.

My wife had Parkinson's Disease and for the last 8 years was confined to a wheelchair. She couldn't handle much recoil so she had a PT-22 with a tip up barrel. While not ideal it was better than nothing. At 10 - 15 ft she could put all 9 rounds of CCI Stingers in a 8" paper plate in less than 20 seconds. As much as she shook, she knew when to pull the trigger and hit the target. It was crazy watching her do it!! I wouldn't have wanted to stand in front of her gun. Good luck with your carry options.
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunfighter48 View Post
    As much as she shook, she knew when to pull the trigger and hit the target. It was crazy watching her do it!! I wouldn't have wanted to stand in front of her gun. Good luck with your carry options.
    Absolutely. The physically disabled are some of the most vulnerable to the predatory behavior criminal scumbags. I'm all for doing whatever it takes to give the disabled an edge. If that's a .22 it's better than no gun at all. And definitely quite lethal.

A few years ago, shortly after I first joined the forum, there was a discussion on whether blind people should be allowed to carry. I'm pretty much of the opinion that they are blind, not stupid. The chances are they would only use their gun during an up close and personal confrontation, where they are at contact distance and know it's just a matter of shoving a gun in their opponents gut and start blasting. What kind of thug is going to expect a blind person to have a gun? That's what makes the blind such an easy target for attack.

Also, they must be accountable for where their stray bullets go. No free pass on that. If they accept that responsibility, why should they not be allowed to defend them self with lethal force?

My signature line pretty much sums up how I feel.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links