Carrying With A Physical Disability

This is a discussion on Carrying With A Physical Disability within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I came across this site this morning by reading about different ways to carry. I feel that I may have a unique situation compared ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Carrying With A Physical Disability

Hello,

I came across this site this morning by reading about different ways to carry. I feel that I may have a unique situation compared to others in the CCW community. I have Cerebral Palsy. This requires me to use forearm crutches to walk. Here is a picture of the crutches: http://images.allegrocentral.com/BA/...DIUM_IMAGE.jpg. I completed my CCW class about a week ago, and I am now just awaiting my permits arrival.

My biggest question is what would you guys recommend for me as far as carry? My thoughts were an IWB Holster at my side. Unfortunately, due to my disability, I can't try to get away from the "bad guy" while I attempt to draw my weapon. Basically, the way I would have to do it is drop the right crutch, grab the weapon, and then I should be ok, as long as I'm not being rushed by an attacker (my balance is mainly what is affected by the CP). I can still move around with just 1 crutch, just not as quickly.

I have practiced shooting at the range with my right hand wielding a .45, and my left holding a crutch. I can still shoot and aim safely. Any other thoughts or carry suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Unfortunately, those who prey may very well see you as an easy victim. I don't have any particular suggestion for carry in your case, but a higher level of situational awareness and avoidance is called for. If you feel you can resonably carry IWB, working one-handed while supporting yourself with the other, then practice as much as possible to respond in that manner. And hopefully you are in a "Stand-your-ground" state.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Unfortunately, those who prey may very well see you as an easy victim. I don't have any particular suggestion for carry in your case, but a higher level of situational awareness and avoidance is called for. If you feel you can resonably carry IWB, working one-handed while supporting yourself with the other, then practice as much as possible to respond in that manner. And hopefully you are in a "Stand-your-ground" state.

I am in Tennessee, so thankfully, we do have the "Stand Your Ground" law here. I definitely think practice will be key in my situation.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JScottTuck View Post
    Hello,

I came across this site this morning by reading about different ways to carry. I feel that I may have a unique situation compared to others in the CCW community. I have Cerebral Palsy. This requires me to use forearm crutches to walk. Here is a picture of the crutches: http://images.allegrocentral.com/BA/...DIUM_IMAGE.jpg. I completed my CCW class about a week ago, and I am now just awaiting my permits arrival.

My biggest question is what would you guys recommend for me as far as carry? My thoughts were an IWB Holster at my side. Unfortunately, due to my disability, I can't try to get away from the "bad guy" while I attempt to draw my weapon. Basically, the way I would have to do it is drop the right crutch, grab the weapon, and then I should be ok, as long as I'm not being rushed by an attacker (my balance is mainly what is affected by the CP). I can still move around with just 1 crutch, just not as quickly.

I have practiced shooting at the range with my right hand wielding a .45, and my left holding a crutch. I can still shoot and aim safely. Any other thoughts or carry suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    I've been through some physical issues myself, and my suggestion would be to larn to adapt and work with what you've got to work with. In other words, firstly, learn ways to use your weapon that accomodate your physical limitations, like firing from unorthodox positions, like on your back if it's faster/easier to drop and draw for you, than it is to stand and draw, or kneel and draw, etc..

That said, the simplest holster I know that can work with anything short of a spedo swimsuit, is a MIC or TC holster that is kydex, and covers the trigger guard and clips into place on the gun. This holster has a cord that loops through or around your belt, or a belt loop, etc to hold the holster. You then tuck the gun in your pants similar to a Mexican Carry, but with full trigger protection, untill you draw the gun, wherein the cord stops the holster from coming with the gun, and the trigger cover pops off as you extend to acquire a sight picture.

Multi Holsters ~ Quality Custom KYDEX Gun Holsters for Inside, Outside, Multi 2-in-1 Inside/Outside Waistband & Mag Holders - TC Style

THE GLOCKTECH STORE

Another option would be a Belly Band which would allow for carry of a gun, and a pair of spare magazines if desired. These cost between $6 to $40 each on amazon.com Just search "belly band holster" I own an ACE brand one (the white one) and it's really nice.. and cost me $25 shipped. That's the same price I paid for my custom Holstex Mirage TC holster from the link above.
    oneshot likes this.

GH
    I'm sorry you're in the position of being disabled. The only thing I can suggest is to find a method (or methods) that works for you & practice, practice, practice. Get so it's second nature while still giving you a solid base. Possibly even try practicing (without harming yourself) to actually fall, acquire your target & fire. Dry firing is probably called for in this situation unless you can get to an outdoor range & do it safely. You might find yourself with a drawer full of holsters until you find the right one.

Good luck & stay safe!
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    I've been through some physical issues myself, and my suggestion would be to larn to adapt and work with what you've got to work with. In other words, firstly, learn ways to use your weapon that accomodate your physical limitations, like firing from unorthodox positions, like on your back if it's faster/easier to drop and draw for you, than it is to stand and draw, or kneel and draw, etc..

That said, the simplest holster I know that can work with anything short of a spedo swimsuit, is a MIC or TC holster that is kydex, and covers the trigger guard and clips into place on the gun. This holster has a cord that loops through or around your belt, or a belt loop, etc to hold the holster. You then tuck the gun in your pants similar to a Mexican Carry, but with full trigger protection, untill you draw the gun, wherein the cord stops the holster from coming with the gun, and the trigger cover pops off as you extend to acquire a sight picture.

Multi Holsters ~ Quality Custom KYDEX Gun Holsters for Inside, Outside, Multi 2-in-1 Inside/Outside Waistband & Mag Holders - TC Style

THE GLOCKTECH STORE

Another option would be a Belly Band which would allow for carry of a gun, and a pair of spare magazines if desired. These cost between $6 to $40 each on amazon.com Just search "belly band holster" I own an ACE brand one (the white one) and it's really nice.. and cost me $25 shipped. That's the same price I paid for my custom Holstex Mirage TC holster from the link above.
    The Belly Band Holster looks like it could also be a very good solution. I really had never thought of other unorthodox positions, but maybe I need to think about that too. I'd rather stay on my feet, until I am taken to the ground. After that happens, if they are an average-size guy, they are going to have a fight on their hands. I'm an average build (5'5" and about 170) but due to my disability, I have tons of upper-body strength and endurance.

Unfortunately, due to my disability, I can't try to get away from the "bad guy" while I attempt to draw my weapon.
    There are many of us out there who cannot run or even walk fast. Is there a law in your State that requires you to attempt to run away from an attacker? If not you should be fine.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    There are many of us out there who cannot run or even walk fast. Is there a law in your State that requires you to attempt to run away from an attacker? If not you should be fine.

Michael
    No. Fortunately, Tennessee is a "Stand Your Ground" state, meaning that I don't have to try to run from an attacker. I wasn't aware of this until OldVet mentioned something about it above.

Would a shoulder holster work for you since the crutches are forearm? How about attaching the gun to the crutch and just point and shoot. LOL Tenn is an open carry state. I can't run away either.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

Don't really have any carry suggestions for you. Just something for you to think about and use to your advantage. Your disability can be a double sided sword. While it may make you vulnerable as a target to those who would prey on you. It may also give them a sense that you are helpless and unable to defend yourself, thus causing them to drop their guard. Good luck in your search for the right set up.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    Would a shoulder holster work for you since the crutches are forearm? How about attaching the gun to the crutch and just point and shoot. LOL Tenn is an open carry state. I can't run away either.
    LOL - I suppose I could attach a gun, or maybe some sort of push button spring action bayonet for the end of the crutch. :-) - A shoulder holster would work perfectly for the location of the firearm, but although Tennessee is an open-carry state, I want to try to stay concealed as much as possible. I feel that walking into a store with a gun on your hip when you aren't a LEO or service member just gains you un-needed attention, or extra questioning.

The first thing Id learn is to use what you have to your best advantage. Work with a self defense expert on best ways to use those crutches as your first line of defense. Then work on transitions to other weapons. Id be willing to bet you have pretty good upper body strength now you just need to be able to use it to your advantage. Most Martial arts studios will be able to help or at least refer you to someone who can. They may have you look for something to lean on like a counter, or wall. Or like suggested above might ask you to just sit down. Good for you tho for at least thinking it through "First". Good Luck, and be sure to let us know what you come up with. DR

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    The first thing Id learn is to use what you have to your best advantage. Work with a self defense expert on best ways to use those crutches as your first line of defense. Then work on transitions to other weapons. Id be willing to bet you have pretty good upper body strength now you just need to be able to use it to your advantage. Most Martial arts studios will be able to help or at least refer you to someone who can. They may have you look for something to lean on like a counter, or wall. Or like suggested above might ask you to just sit down. Good for you tho for at least thinking it through "First". Good Luck, and be sure to let us know what you come up with. DR
    I posted something similar in response to the earlier post, but for whatever reason, it hasn't showed up. I do have a good amount of upper body strength, so unless the person out-weighs me by quite a bit, they will at least have a fight on their hands. I never really thought about getting with a self-defense instructor, but I think that's a great idea. I know that I can definitely use the crutches as weapons, as I'm not quite 100% dependent on them, so I can let them leave the ground if I'm swinging at someone, just not for very long. I have enough balance where I could hit them with the opposing crutch if they grabbed the one I decided to swing at them, but if they grabbed them both, and didn't let them go for 5 or 10 seconds, I would hit the ground.

I think I may look into some defense instruction. Right now, I would just start beating them until they decided to leave me alone, but it would be nice to have some sort of better structured method. Thanks for the advice!

I am currently ( not permanent) in a wheelchair, but was I in crutches, I would assume I am going to the ground in a self defense situation, MAy be better to fall on your own terms that let the bad guy take you down.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Quote Originally Posted by JScottTuck View Post
    I posted something similar in response to the earlier post, but for whatever reason, it hasn't showed up. I do have a good amount of upper body strength, so unless the person out-weighs me by quite a bit, they will at least have a fight on their hands. I never really thought about getting with a self-defense instructor, but I think that's a great idea. I know that I can definitely use the crutches as weapons, as I'm not quite 100% dependent on them, so I can let them leave the ground if I'm swinging at someone, just not for very long. I have enough balance where I could hit them with the opposing crutch if they grabbed the one I decided to swing at them, but if they grabbed them both, and didn't let them go for 5 or 10 seconds, I would hit the ground.

I think I may look into some defense instruction. Right now, I would just start beating them until they decided to leave me alone, but it would be nice to have some sort of better structured method. Thanks for the advice!
    You will be amaised at how effective a crutch can be when focused on the proper areas! I have seen a demo on the use of a cane [ the walking kind ]. The side handle on yours looks much like the baton that Cops carry these days. They should also be able to help you find a good carry method and a way to draw and fire in a balanced way. DR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links