Gun Permit Laws Eroding

This is a discussion on Gun Permit Laws Eroding within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SFCDan I have heard of many states starting to place more and more restrictions on licenses such as work purposes and target ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Gun Permit Laws Eroding

Quote Originally Posted by SFCDan View Post
    I have heard of many states starting to place more and more restrictions on licenses such as work purposes and target only.
    I have heard of this guy who use to work with a friend of my brother-in-law's sister's best friend from high school who said that sometimes people will try to make an assumption sound like a fact by prefacing the statement with the phrase, "I have heard". I have heard that this is true.
    wmhawth and pittypat21 like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

2. Remove Ads

My state is governed from Boston, much like New York is from NYC and Albany. They make the rules for us, despite the rules not making sense at all.

I was given a Class A LTC no restrictions which is the best permit I can get in my state. Boston? Hell no, you have to demonstrate a specific need, belong to a gun club and all this other nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    I have heard of this guy who use to work with a friend of my brother-in-law's sister's best friend from high school who said that sometimes people will try to make an assumption sound like a fact by prefacing the statement with the phrase, "I have heard". I have heard that this is true.
    I think the one where the speaker is even more confident he has you fooled is when he starts with: "Studies show ..."

Studies show that most people who fall for this are imbeciles.

I have a need. I need a gun because the city can not assign a cop to stand by my side 24 hours a day.
    wraithls1 likes this.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by minimalbrat View Post
    I have a need. I need a gun because the city can not assign a cop to stand by my side 24 hours a day.
    Nope, but they can assign a team to figure out what happened...go figure.
    minimalbrat likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Massachusetts: Where Stricter Gun Laws = Fewer Deaths | Boston Daily

Anti-Gun Article from my state

vs.

Evidence and Statistics Supporting the failure of MA Gun Law

Pro Gun article from my state

That's why I hate talking about gun statistics, both sides have statistics to support their argument. It becomes an endless ******* contest.

Quote Originally Posted by dbglock View Post
    I think the one where the speaker is even more confident he has you fooled is when he starts with: "Studies show ..."

Studies show that most people who fall for this are imbeciles.
    Or how about when the speaker says, "Let me be perfectly clear..." and is anything but perfectly clear.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post

vs.

That's why I hate talking about gun statistics, both sides have statistics to support their argument. It becomes an endless ******* contest.
    And they could both be right. The numbers they introduce aren't contradictory. One says MA is safer than other states, and declares it to be because of the 1998 gun law (his opinion). The other says MA is more deadly than it was prior to 1998, so his opinion is that the gun law made the state worse. Apples (other states) and oranges (MA before law). Of course most imbeciles can't cipher that out and will believe the side that mirrors their political inclinations and the "statisticians" are well aware of that.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Or how about when the speaker says, "Let me be perfectly clear..." and is anything but perfectly clear.
    "It's not about the money ..."

Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post

vs.

First article - nothing to do with MA., everything to do with Martin/Zimmerman and Florida's racist cops. That article was so racially fueled it was hard to read.

State A has fewer shooting deaths than State B. That really doesn't mean anything. If the article is supposed to argue a law's success or failure, then you need ONLY look at that state. State A before gun law, and State A after gun law introduced. As we can clearly see in Article 2 (which presents actual data relevant to the argument), State A after gun law was introduced had a rise in gun-related crime.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

The nice thing about Virginia is that an application for a concealed carry permit is no longer at the discretion of the circuit court judge. It used to be that if you lived in a highly urban area of the state it was almost impossible to get a permit. The Virginia Supreme Court changed the rules and Virginia is a "shall issue" state. Unless you have some record of recent lawlessness, they go back at least 3 years, or are prohibited from possessing a firearm because of a past felony and you haven't had your rights restored or you were adjudged mentally defective and haven't been declared sane yet, then in all likelihood a ccw will be issued. It would be nice if we didn't need to make application for a ccw, but then again if you are not a scoundrel then you will get it. Other states like California want you to splain why you want one and it better be a good reason. But I guess the folks in California want it that way!

"Look at the stats if we can believe them.
    In 1980, 46% of Americans requested permits. In 2011 that number was at 36%. This is quite telling if the numbers are accurate."

Pure garbage. Depending on the state, between 1% and 4% of the people to through the permitting application each year.

VIP Member
    46% of Americans requested permits a decade or more before most states started having permits... have to love logic like that.

There's a word for this... I'm not allowed to say it though.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    [QUOTE=pittypat21;2434737] I've looked through 36 of these 40 states and only one so far states that the sheriff must determine that the applicant is of good character and a "proper person" to be licensed (your home state of Indiana). In other states with similar mention, this determination is specifically stated to be made by the background check.

My point exactly.
    Other than the obvious felony etc, WHO or WHAT determines if a person is of good character?

[QUOTE=RightsEroding;2435664]
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    I've looked through 36 of these 40 states and only one so far states that the sheriff must determine that the applicant is of good character and a "proper person" to be licensed (your home state of Indiana). In other states with similar mention, this determination is specifically stated to be made by the background check.

My point exactly.
    Other than the obvious felony etc, WHO or WHAT determines if a person is of good character?
    Respectfully, you had no point. In your own words you said it was a rant. You went on to give totally bogus numbers and stats. Then you say you have to have money or have political friends or whatever to get a CCP. If that was your point you could have used facts and brevity to illustrate your point of view in a more clear and concise and factual way.

Again-Welcome to the forum!
    CaveJohnson likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links