Question for those who dont carry with loaded chamber

This is a discussion on Question for those who dont carry with loaded chamber within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, you dont carry with loaded chamber, what do you do if you were to buy a revolver? Or do you have a revolver and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Question for those who dont carry with loaded chamber

Ok, you dont carry with loaded chamber, what do you do if you were to buy a revolver? Or do you have a revolver and what do you do with that?
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

GH
    Usually they keep the chamber under the hammer empty. That way when they squeeze the trigger the next loaded chamber is put into play. That gives you one round less, though.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

JD
    Administrator

Re: Question for those who dont carry with loaded chamber

If anyone would actually like to ANSWER the question, feel free to do so, save the the chest thumping etc for the other chamber thread. The OP here is asking a specific question, let's try and allow that question to be answered rather than hijack his thread.

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

If your concern is that something may strike the back of the hammer and cause an accidental discharge then yes, carry with the chamber under the hammer empty but the best way to answer your question with any reliability is to ask why you carry your auto-loaded not chambered.

Some people carry that way so as to avoid an accidental discharge due to something engaging the trigger while the gun is in a pocket or soft holster. Others carry that way as a hedge against the bad guy getting it away and shooting them.

If you carry not chambered for these reasons then on a revolver you would NOT carry with the empty chamber under the hammer, you'd leave the first chamber that rotates into position during a trigger pull to compensate for this.

As to the rest of the crowd that says you shouldn't even carry or that carrying without one in the chamber is absolutely wrong I'll say that the only absolutely wrong way to carry in not to. Everything else is personal preference and where you find your comfort level.

People new to carry may go through a period of self assurance where they carry without one in the chamber and later find that they've not had any non intentional triggers pulls and change their method to fully loaded with the chamber full. Not a thing wrong with that and if that's what it takes to reach your comfort level, more power to ya. At least you're carrying.
    wmhawth, Tangle, kmagnuss and 4 others like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I don't carry without a round chambered myself but I imagine there are some who do who can take care of themselves. I'm not about to critique the Israelis.

Re: Question for those who dont carry with loaded chamber

I carry with one in the chamber with my Sig which is Double Action Only. There is no hammer to accidentally be pulled back. Sig also has an engineering design that is 'supposed' to keep the pistol from firing if dropped.

I have found the hammer on my little Tomcat 32 auto snagged on clothing and accidentally cocked. Fortunately the safety is always on. So with a Single Action, either a snap on the holster covering the hammer, or an empty chamber.

Those are my personal preferences.

George
    mook012 likes this.
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

Most modern revolvers, and some older ones, have transfer bars. The hammer does not actually strike the firing pin. Meaning that even if the hammer is accidentally pulled back or released, it will not contact the pin unless you are physically pulling the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by eipo View Post
    Most modern revolvers, and some older ones, have transfer bars. The hammer does not actually strike the firing pin. Meaning that even if the hammer is accidentally pulled back or released, it will not contact the pin unless you are physically pulling the trigger.
    I didn't know that. Thanks.

When I first got my CCW I carried with an empty chamber. After getting used to carrying and being comfortable with it, I carry with one up the pipe.
    MASSIVE likes this.
    "They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin
    "A gentlemen will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!"
    Sir Winston Churchill

Next chamber empty so that the second trigger pull fires off a round. If you like carrying condition 3 with semi-autos, a revolver with an empty chamber is just as good but allows you to bring the gun into action with one hand and no need to rack a slide. The downside is you're losing 1 round in an already low round gun....can still be perfectly effective, however.

Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    Ok, you dont carry with loaded chamber, what do you do if you were to buy a revolver? Or do you have a revolver and what do you do with that?
    Modern double-action revolvers are almost universally carried fully loaded. The "safety" is essentially designed into the gun by means of a long, deliberate trigger pull which both cocks the hammer (requiring relatively great force, in the neighborhood of 10 lbs) and releases the sear, causing the hammer to drop.

The reason to carry a revolver with an empty chamber under the hammer is twofold. Single-action revolvers (which require the hammer to be cocked by a means other then the trigger; the trigger has only a single function, to release the sear) traditionally had the firing pin on the 'nose' of the hammer, and with the hammer lowered, the firing pin could contact the primer on a chambered round. Double-action revolvers started incorporating a rebounding hammer design before WWI to allow the cylinder to be carried completely filled. With a rebounding hammer, after the gun fires, the hammer resets backward a little bit so that with the hammer at rest, the firing pin no longer extends past the frame. thereby preventing any contact with cartridges until the trigger is pulled again.

In the early 1960s, Ruger pioneered a transfer bar arrangement on their single-action revolvers which enabled them to be carried with a full cylinder. The firing pin is held in the frame of the gun with a gap between it and the hammer with the hammer at rest. As the hammer is thumbed back, an intermediate "transfer bar" is lifted into place to fill that gap so when the hammer falls, the transfer bar is struck and it in turn whacks the firing pin. Even some automatics and DA revolvers use a similar design these days.

In short, on a modern DA revolver you could load the cylinder completely and whack the lowered hammer with a sledgehammer and the gun would not go off. There really is no reason to carry such a gun with one chamber empty - certainly not for any reason related to safety.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions if this brief explanation fell short of the mark.
    mwhartman, rmrf and SuperRuger101 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I cc'd a taurus 85 SS for 20 years. Loaded chambers? Heck yes allways. The modern desighed revolver use's a transfer bar system to be able to fire only when cocked and fired.

Quote Originally Posted by eipo View Post
    Many of the modern semi-autos also.
    Look for the designation on 1911s which say: "Mk80" or "1980..."

There is a pin thru the firing pin which is drawn out of the way by holding the trigger back.
    On revolvers, Smith , Colt, Ruger, Taurus, etc have different ways. Some have a "block the hammerrfall" and some jave "transfer the hammerblow to the firing pin" All methods prevent an accidental discharge. Even my 1960 vintage Charter Arms had one. ( And I would not carry a revolver without one)

It is safe and correct to carry modern revolvers with cylinder fully loaded.

Any Colt double-action revolver made after about 1907, when the Colt "Positive Lock" design became the standard throughout their line, is safe with a cartridge under the chamber.

Though Smith & Wesson also offered a hammer block design early in the 20th century, it was subject to gumming up and becoming fouled so as to fail to protect, so pre-World War II Smith & Wesson revolvers may not be depended on to protect from a blow to the back of the hammer. All Smith & Wesson revolvers produced since World War II though may be considered have a modern hammer block design suitable for use with a cartridge under the hammer.

All modern Ruger double-action revolvers are perfectly safe with a cartridge under the hammer.

Colt Single Action revolvers and clones made to the design must be carried with an empty chamber beneath the hammer as must some early Ruger single action revolvers. Ruger introduced their New Model single action revolver in 1973. Earlier Ruger single action revolvers must be treated like the Colt Single Action Army.

Ruger still offers a free conversion of their old model single action revolvers to the new safer design, accessible simply by calling the factory and arranging for shipment.

"Or do you have a revolver and what do you do with that"

I frequently carry both Colt and Smith & Wesson double-action revolvers and load 'em up to cylinder capacity in perfect safety.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar

Either Or

Ive seen and understand both sides here. Its probably impossible to definitively prove one way is better than another.
    I carry a semi auto striker. I have no fear of shooting off my foot. I do believe however I have the edge if a physical altercation were to ensue knowing the 1st one does nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links