My first interaction with LEO while carrying

This is a discussion on My first interaction with LEO while carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So we're on our way home from vacation - we flew to CA from FL with all 5 kids for my brother's wedding. We left ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: My first interaction with LEO while carrying

My first interaction with LEO while carrying

So we're on our way home from vacation - we flew to CA from FL with all 5 kids for my brother's wedding. We left CA at 10:55pm last night, flew all night, had a LONG layover then flew into Jacksonville. We actually live in central FL but drive up to Jax to leave the dog with good friends. We don't park at the airport and I'd left my BUG in a lockbox in the car so we'd have it while in a Jax hotel on the trip out. Anyway, we get to the van today after flying all night and I slip my gun in my waistband where it belongs, glad to be out of CA. While driving home we get into an accident. The officer asked for my info and although I have no duty to report, I did anyway out of courtesy. He handed my permit back to me and said unless you're crrying I don't need it. I informed him I was and that's why I gave it to him. He asked where my gun was and said as long as it stays there, we're good. Later, in a lull of all the drama he walked up and asked what I had, just out of curiosity. We spoke of it for a second then he had things to do again. When we left he said he marked on the report that I should go see a dr tomorrow as I was already hurting. I told him I planned on going to the ER when we left the scene since although I'm not badly injured I'm in pain. He recommended I not bring it in the ER because "they will flip out" I laughed and thanked him, telling him I already planned on putting it in the lockbox in the car. The experience couldn't have gone better (except the whole getting into an accident part, which honestly I feel blessed - the kids are unhurt and the van can be fixed. I'll be sore a few days I'm sure, but really it all could have been so much worse!)
    mjb65, ANGLICO, johnmed3 and 2 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

Glad it all worked out. Sorry to hear about your accident. Good thing everyone was ok. It seems many report good results when advising LEOs they are carrying.
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

Sorry to hear about your accident!!

I was advised by a coworker to never tell LEOs that you're carrying, but from what I've heard on here, it's probably best to inform them. I don't have a duty to inform in my state, either, but I think I will if I ever get stopped.
    Proud owner of a Sig Sauer P238 SAS Explosive Space Modulator.

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "He recommended I not bring it in the ER because "they will flip out" I laughed and thanked him, telling him I already planned on putting it in the lockbox in the car"

According to Jon Gutmacher, hospitals fall into a gray area as far as firearms are concerned. While not specifically "prohibited" by CC laws, they do provide "mental health services to some extent. He states that there is no case law on this conflict, but then who wants to be the first to establish it.
    Bark'n, Lish and goldshellback like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Glad no one was seriously injured. Like you I have no duty to inform in VA, but I do anyway. Never had a problem with a LEO over it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Sorry about the wreck. Glad everyone was okay (mostly).
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Glad everyone is ok!

VIP Member
    Glad y'all are ok and know what you mean by good to be out of CA.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Glad that everyone is OK and that your experience with the LEO was positive.

Good to hear it went well
    My EDC G27 gen. 4
    Favorite range gun G23 gen. 3

NRA Life Member

Glad you're okay -- And for the record, I know a bunch of stories just like yours (when telling a LEO that you're carrying) and very few that "went south" unless there was something odd going on in the first place.
    tacman605 likes this.

VIP Member
    we flew to CA from FL with all 5 kids for my brother's wedding.
    Wow that must have been an adventure in itself.

Glad you are ok and it went well with the LE encounter. I have a duty to inform and even if I didn't I still would out of common courtesy to the officer but that me and others would not, their choice.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Most Florida LEOs are cool about weapons.
    At a big gun show here in the Orlando area, I tld many Leos that I am writing an article and asked this question of them:
    "Although Fl law does not REQUIRE informing, do you want to know?"
    The concesus was "if its in your glove box, center console or other CLOSED compartment, don't tell, unless you have to go into that compartment. If is one your person, let us know. Then follow the officers insdtructions"

Many departments ride two officers to a car. The other one is looking at you thru the passenger side window. If you are reaching for your wallet, and the gun becomes exposed, and your hand is going there, it could become a very nasty situation..
    Most said that they will say something to the effect of "don't reach where it is"
    One said 'you leave yours where it is and I'll leave mine where it is"

I had a blowout tire on my boat trailer. I stopped to change the tire, and a Hiway Patrol Seargent stopped and turned on his blue lights to keep cars away from us. I informed because I had my 642 in my pocket. he said "Thanks for telling me, it does not show."

BY the way, FHP carries .45 glocks

Every time I stopped someone for a minor traffic infraction and they informed me that they were CCW I sent them on their way with a verbal warning. We had a saying...it's not the people who tell you that they are armed that you have to be worried about.

On the flip side, I knew guys that ALWAYS asked the driver to step out and seized the firearm while they did their records checks...
    Down, right, aft...

I personally wouldn't tell unless asked to exit the vehicle or asked if I was carrying, I've heard cops say it's pointless information they don't want and some even get jumpy.
    paching likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links