Defensive Carry banner

My first day with my new permit.... went to Walmart.

6K views 44 replies 37 participants last post by  sigpistolero 
#1 ·
Just thought I'd check in and share that I finally got my CCW here in Florida... only took 3 MONTHS!!! I shouldn't have mailed it. Anyway, I took the obligatory trip to Walmart, which was uneventful... I do realize that after wearing my holster (Blackhawk leather clip-on IWB) doing errands all day, that I will need a more comfortable holster for all day carry.

I really want a leather holster. I am in love with the Brigade Leather M-11, but they aren't accepting new orders because of a 10 month backlog. I've got eyes on a UGB Canute or a TT Stronghold or Milt Sparks Versa Max... anybody have any experience with these? Thanks.

#5 ·
Excellent man, just waiting on snail mail now!

#8 ·
Congrat on the ccl. I haven't done the walmart thing because I haven't been into a walmart in months but I did take my gun with me to the local food store lol. Do you notice you pay more attention to what is going on around you now?

#9 ·
Well there's no open carry here in Florida unless your a police officer so don't try it lol. As for the leather holster I don't have a leather one but I use a crossbreed Supertuck deluxe for my glock 26. It is on me All day long, from when I wake up till I got to sleep and it's almost like its not there.

Reactions: wingryder
#12 ·
I have been surfing the internet for holster makers. All of the good ones have a huge back order! I don't know if that is a good sign or not, but it is a Pain in the south side if you want a good holster!

I guess holster making would be my next millionaire opportunity missed. lol

#17 ·
No one tells ya that when you apply for the permit, you should also order the holster :)

I too was turned off by wait time. Tried various other IWB brands, but Crossbreed can't be beat IMO. The only thing I don't care for about them is the logo on the clips, but you can order blank ones now. Though I haven't yet since I don't actually use it with tucked shirt.

Order a CrossBreed now, and get a DeSantis Soft Tuck off Amazon to get you by until the CrossBreed gets in. Won't be a wasted effort since the DeSantis comes in handy for quick trips to the store and sport pants

#15 ·
Milt Sparks never makes anyone unhappy, except perhaps...the makers of cheap holsters. Worth the wait & worth the money. Congrats on successful concealment! It gets easier as you become more accustomed.

#16 ·
Congrats on getting your permit and doing the Wally Walk. If ever you want to see a bunch of sheeple, walk through Walmart. It's the Land of the Clueless!

I know you've said that you want a leather holster, but I'd recommend a Remora. It's very comfortable and very versatile.

#18 ·
What gun are you carrying? I just got a Milt S. VMII took about 4 days to get from the day I ordered it :wave: Bought it on gun broker from Alan Yoast via info from GeorgiaDawg. Little more in price but well worth the (lack of) wait. Im carrying a Colt Commander in it and love it.

#20 ·
Seems like everyone makes Walmart their first stop after getting a permit!

I know I was thinking everyone was going to notice, then when I got there I was reminded that most people in Walmart don't notice you trying to get past them when they're blocking the aisle with their cart and 400lb arse, so they're never going to notice your carry gun...

#22 ·
I have a TT Gunleather Stronghold Convertable for my Walther PPS. I have only worn it IWB so far, and I really like it. I also have a ComTac MTAC for the PPS, I bought the TT holster mainly to use OWB. I also carry a Sig P238 in a Cross Breed Mini Tuck. I am happy with all of my holsters, but the Stronghold is my favorite. Another option you may want to look at is the Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro. I ordered one for my wife's new 938, but it hasn't come in yet.

#23 ·
I know that nearly everyone here swears by CBST, but I am just not "WOW'ed" by Kydex. JMO, I think it looks cheapy... I realize that it takes man-hours to construct a leather holster and a Kydex holster can be made with a blank and a heat gun, but there is something very compelling about a well made leather holster.

@ping.brady, I am also turned off by the logo on the CBST clips. It looks like a christian cross. Not something I personally would wear. If I decide to go with a Leather/Kydex, I will probably lean toward a WhiteHat Maxtuck... or a SHTF Gear Ace1... and use that while a wait a year for my Brigade M-11 Osterich trim! :danceban: :image035:

Edit: Thank Skate for the great Info on TT Stronghold.... as I stated earlier that holster is on my short list as well.

#29 ·
I am also turned off by the logo on the CBST clips. It looks like a christian cross. Not something I personally would wear.
No problems with christian cross here, just that it's a dead giveaway that person is carrying. Seen it at least 5 times over the years (outside gun shows and shops). Regular mat clips would have had better chance of going unnoticed.

#25 ·
I have a Hybrid holster from Hidden Hybrid Holsters. Much like the Crossbread, but had loops so it can be worn OWB if desired. The Metal clips that came with it were a tiny bit short to fit my 5-11 belt, so I contacted them and they made me some Kydex clips and sent them out for my ... the kidex clips are awesome and a perfect fit for my belt. .

I agree about leather holsters being more elegant but the Hybrid holster really is comfortable IMO. one day I will get a nice 1911 or revolver and get a nice OWB Holster for it.

#26 ·
I ordered a whitehat about a week ago or so. The site says it should take about 3 weeks for me to get it. I've heard great things so it's worth the wait.

Reactions: wingryder
#27 ·
I have a FIST OWB on order... 4 weeks into a 6-8 week wait. FIST, INC.

Then today I ordered a N82 IWB today with a 1 week turnaround time. http://n82tactical.com/n82store/

Both for my Glock27.

Then I'm DONE ordering holsters. Really. I mean it! Seriously!!! Ugh... probably not...

#30 ·
Congrats on the new permit! It won't be long before it will become 2nd nature. You might as well clean out a drawer now. You'll need it for all of the holsters you're going to collect...LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.