Took my wife out for dinner.

This is a discussion on Took my wife out for dinner. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This past weekend I took my wife out for our anniversary. As always I look for posting outside before I go into a building, not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Took my wife out for dinner.

Took my wife out for dinner.

This past weekend I took my wife out for our anniversary. As always I look for posting outside before I go into a building, not seeing any we went in and had a nice meal. Now as we are leaving inside the entryway up on the wall it was posted NO CONCEALED CARRY. My question is how can they post inside the building but not outside. Would I all ready be braking the all once I cross the threshold of the building?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Welcome to the board. Here is a link to a great site, and the relevant section to your question:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/wisconsin.pdf
    "943.13 (2) (bm) 1. In this paragraph, “sign” means a sign that states a restriction imposed under subd. 2. That is at least 5 inches by 7 inches.
    Note: In order to give notice under the above provisions, other than the provisions relating to single family residences, an owner or occupant must post a sign notifying persons of the restriction. If an owner or occupant of a building or part of a building is permitted to post a sign to notify that carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or part of the building, the owner or occupant must post a sign that is located in a prominent place near all the entrances of the part of the building to which the restriction applies and it must be posted so that any individual entering the building must be reasonably expected to see the sign. If grounds of a building or land may be posted, as described above, the owner or occupant must post a sign that is located in a prominent place near all probable access points to the grounds or land to which the restriction applies and any individual entering the grounds or land can be reasonably expected to see the sign. Finally, organizers of a special event may post the special event by posting a sign that is located in a prominent place near all of the entrances to the special event and any individual attending the special even can be reasonably expected to see the sign. For all of these provisions, the sign must be at least five inches by seven inches."
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Since the law says "near" the entrance, inside or outside meets that requirement, although outside, where it can be seen prior to entering would only make sense. It wold be tough to prosecute a case for entering armed across the threashold before seeing the sign.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thanks for your help. It looks like I will have to look all over, I was under the understanding that it would have to be on the outside of the building.

If you couldn't see it while "entering" then it would seem it is not posted "properly". If it is posted inside the building facing people exiting what good is it??? IANAL

"...located in a prominent place near all the entrances of the part of the building to which the restriction applies and it must be posted so that any individual entering the building must be reasonably expected to see the sign."

Just a note: Now that youy know the sign is there, you'll need to decide if carrying concealed is more important to you than giving them your business. We all make these decisions for ourselves. Just my .02
    sdprof likes this.

"must post a sign that is located in a prominent place near all probable access points... Where any individual entering the grounds or land can be reasonably expected to see the sign."

If you did your due diligence to check for a sign and did not spot one, you have done your part to abide by the owners wishes... however, now that you have seen the sign, I would avoid the establishment, and maybe contact the owner by phone to enquire about the sign and that if their wishes be to prohibit legal carry, that you suggest they put the sign in a more prominent place so that legal carriers can avoid the establishment and not break the law... it comes down to the tone of the person you are talking to as to weather or not you discuss the philosophy behind cc and how silly it is to restrict law abiding citizens from their buisness.
    I say try to get the owner if possible, because most managers have no authority in the matter as weather to post or not... but a manager would be inclined to talk to the appropriate people about better posting the establishment, which would allow us legal CCers to remain legal and not accidentally wander outside of our rights.
    sinzitu and marcclarke like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Since the law says "near" the entrance, inside or outside meets that requirement, although outside, where it can be seen prior to entering would only make sense. It wold be tough to prosecute a case for entering armed across the threashold before seeing the sign.
    IMO, if there is only one main entrance/exit to a building (I am assuming in this case there is) then those doors would be considered the entrance when people are coming in and the exit when people are going out. If I see the sign while I am exiting the building then it is not posted near 'my' entrance for me to see.

That sign tells me they expect you to open carry.

John

(paraphrased) "If you can spot a sign, you can spot a perp"
    [/dodgeball]
    Mental illness incidents are used to threaten gun rights.
    The March of Dimes headed off the Universal Iron Lung coverage debate, just sayin'.
    Alternately, for those with a toolshed and ideas.

Sad thing is you gave you $$$ to someone who don't like you.
    carracer and ironmike86 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sty57 View Post
    This past weekend I took my wife out for our anniversary. As always I look for posting outside before I go into a building, not seeing any we went in and had a nice meal. Now as we are leaving inside the entryway up on the wall it was posted NO CONCEALED CARRY. My question is how can they post inside the building but not outside. Would I all ready be braking the all once I cross the threshold of the building?
    I thought WI was the same as MN in that the postings carry no force of law? If that is true then you aren't breaking any law unless thy ask you to leave and you refuse. Is that not true in WI?

I've had the same thing happen a couple times here in MN where I didn't notice till I was leaving, but I just thought "meh, whatever, I guess I just won't come back here again".

FOr me the sign will need to jump out and bite me. If the sign is hidden, I dont worry about it.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Quote Originally Posted by BTNut View Post
    I thought WI was the same as MN in that the postings carry no force of law? If that is true then you aren't breaking any law unless thy ask you to leave and you refuse. Is that not true in WI?

I've had the same thing happen a couple times here in MN where I didn't notice till I was leaving, but I just thought "meh, whatever, I guess I just won't come back here again".
    BT.. That is exactly what my wife and I were told in the WI CC class we attended. I'm trying to find my class material and get clarification. It probably depends on who is interpreting the wording of the law but as I recall there was a significant discussion about it in class. Handgunlaw.us seems to interpret it differently...

The best thing you can do is read the appropriate section of the state code which speaks to this issue. Don't take any of our replies as gospel. We each need to know the laws of our respective states, and also the laws of any state we visit, or even just drive through.

Handgunlaw.us is a good place to start, but you should still read the actual state laws pertaining to firearms ownership and carry, as well as transporting.

The thread title reminds me of the following conversation between cannibals.

"My goodness, your wife sure makes good soup!"
    "Oh absolutely, but I am going to miss her."

I don't know why, but the thread title reads like the introduction to a punchline.
    Mental illness incidents are used to threaten gun rights.
    The March of Dimes headed off the Universal Iron Lung coverage debate, just sayin'.
    Alternately, for those with a toolshed and ideas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links