Carry gun choice based on risk??? - Page 2

Carry gun choice based on risk???

This is a discussion on Carry gun choice based on risk??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Glock 23 always/mini mag. left from pocket....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carry gun choice based on risk???

Glock 23 always/mini mag. left from pocket.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

The last thing I do in the morning is put on the Ultra Raptor with two mags, and the P2AT in a front pocket. They stay there until I go to bed.
    I had to run a after hours service call at a site that had been robbed at gunpoint a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday night.
    I "strapped up" with:
    Ultra Raptor carried strong side IWB
    Pro Carry II carried SOB
    3 spare mags that would work in either 1911
    32AT in a front pocket
    Glock 30 with 3 spare mags in my laptop bag that was pretty much attached to my shoulder all night

And I STILL ended up calling the cops on a bum that was trashing one of the empty buildings next door

To my knowledge, a man-eating punk in an alley is just as "dense" as one in my back yard. So, same load and weapon.

I'm currently evaluating either a 380 or 9mm for pocket carry, beyond my 9mm primary. I've just about decided that the 9mm is about the smallest load I want. 400 ft-lbs @ 1300 fps of JHP is controllable even w/ my pocket 9mm, for me. That's plenty. With the 380, hitting 250 ft-lbs with expansion is a mild dream. (Getting there, slowly but surely.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

CDH
    I don't feel undergunned with ANY of my chosen carry pistols, so I end up choosing what I carry for concealment considerations more than anything else.

Since my main carry weapon is a Colt Commander LW, it is really easy to conceal with almost anything I wear so it goes with me 90% of the time.

If I do feel that I have to dress "lighter", I still feel quite well armed with my Walther PP .380 loaded with Gold Dots.
    The slightly longer barrel of the PP model is in no more difficult to conceal than the PPK or PPK/S, but the longer barrel brings the performance of the Gold Dot ammo up to at least as good as .38Spl +P.

Assistant Administrator
    I am fortunate that my lifestyle and carry options permit me to go with my choice of large and heavy - 226 ST.

It is therefore in a sense the best I can tote, and is not geared to any risk assessment factor - I expect the worst and hope for the best, prefering the best I can practically manage, for me.

Only addition that might result from a risk assessment, is addition of another mag' or two. I do not tho willingly these days go anywhere where I might expect risk factor to be significantly increased.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    Carry based on risk? You bet, I've been doing that all of my gun carrying career. Now that I'm retired, I just carry pistols, but I have a Mossberg 590 that I carry in my pick-up all the time.

I usually carry a Glock 19 most of the time. Some times when I running down to the local Wallyworld during the day, I'll stick a S&W revolver a holster and carry that. If I'm taking a trip to a border town, I carry a 1911 and the Glock 19 as a BUG especially if I go out at night in those areas.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

a. Around the house, backyard, neighborhood dog walks, at the gym, at church, weddings, family affairs, corner grocery I carry a 9mm Kahr MK9 with one spare mag.
    b. Everywhere else a .45 acp S&W 4516-2 with 2 spare mags.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

I kinda go with maclean3....warbdrob tends to be a concideration here in Swampeast Missouri (hot humid summers; 98 degress & 98 % humidity). I may go to the small surrounding towns for a quick errand with only my Grendel P-10 .380 in my back pocket. But if I go out for longer or to Cape Girardeau I'll take either the Glock M-19 or the Para-Ordnance P-14 .45 depending on mode of dress.

IF I get stupid and go to St. Louis (The Loo") I dress so I can carry the Glock M-20 10mm, 2 mags, with Grendel as BUG, wife carries the Glock 19 + 2 mags.

The wife and I have a camper that slides in the back of our truck (F350 4X4), when we are on the road (in states I am legal) I keep the Glock M-20 in the door loaded with FMJ to punch vehicle metal and wear the Para-Ord; while the wife carries the Grendel and keeps the Glock 19 in her door loaded with FMJ. I also have the "Rifle-It" shelf mounted above the sun visors and keep either the Rem 1100 or an AR (some times the M-1A) there when legal and/or am off in the boonies on BLM or National Forest lands in Wyoming, Colorado, Montana etc.

If I carried a weapon proportional to my average daily risk, I'd probably carry that little Swiss minigun thing with a round in my pocket. :)

But to answer the spirit of the question, I usually carry the same weapon now (Sig P239 in 9mm; my other carry is sometimes a CZ P01, also 9mm), and try not to change up too much. However, if I have my druthers, I'll probably get a .357 snub and carry that most of the time. I had a Taurus 605, and sold it in a bad financial moment, and regret that sale every day. So sooner or later I'll reacquire something like that.

ccw9mm "To my knowledge, a man-eating punk in an alley is just as "dense" as one in my back yard. So, same load and weapon."

I agree. It seems to me BG is a BG and the location doesn't change that. Other than limitations of clothes or weather, same gun same load.
    "The truth is not half as important as what people believe the truth to be." Napoleon
    Bersa .380
    H&K USP Compact .40SW
    S&W 66 .357
    Colt Commander .45

Well I usually carry my sigma 40 but when it's hot i'll carry my taurus 617.
    It comes a time in your life when you run across someone you should have never @#$$% with. Allow me to introduce myself!

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    If I had prior knowledge that I would have to defend mysefl I would choose to have my 45acp. Unfortunately things don't work that way.

I carry a .38+P loaded with Hydrashocks. I'm confident that this would be effective against an attacker.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Use of deadly force means I am faced with deadly force.
    I carry the most effective package I have.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

I practice with and carry my XD; I am totally comfortable with it, and I know that I can rely on it, so it is my sole carry weapon. The fact that I can get 16+1 HP in it is also a plus!
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Sometimes I vary my carry.

I live in a very low crime area, though not as low as it used to be. I carry the Taurus 38ti and extra ammo almost exclusively and avoid bad areas at night. I think that is enough firepower to deal with most threats, perhaps with the exception of being attacked by a whole gang of thugs.

If I am traveling out of town to the big city, (Orlando, Tampa, etc.) where I am unfamiliar with the teritory and could accidentally end up in the wrong place, I also carry my .40 cal auto with extra mags.

Mapquest is great, but it only gives you the shortest route with no crime statistics on the areas your driving through. I have also gotten a bad map once or twice due to changes in streets and names, so you can never be sure of where you might end up when traveling. Best to be overly prepared in that case.

On the boat with the family, I carry two SS revolvers. One for me and the other for my wife, since I once had an incident where a group of us had to split up and be taken in on two different good samaratin vessels.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links