New to Forum...devils advocate

This is a discussion on New to Forum...devils advocate within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gasmitty Thanks for the link - I saved that article from when I used to subscribe to Esquire, but lost it when ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: New to Forum...devils advocate

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Thanks for the link - I saved that article from when I used to subscribe to Esquire, but lost it when I moved. It's timeless.
    Someone here commented when I first posted that story that the author was probably carrying illegally... as few permits were issued back then... I don't know for sure.

Regardless, it is a timeless article... I need to find the original article that it was in response to...

Quote Originally Posted by MASSIVE View Post
    Oy, that was a bit longer of a read than I was expecting -- But worth every word.
    I thought so, or I wouldn't ever post it.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Someone here commented when I first posted that story that the author was probably carrying illegally... as few permits were issued back then... I don't know for sure.

Regardless, it is a timeless article... I need to find the original article that it was in response to...

I thought so, or I wouldn't ever post it.
    I'll second the "thank you," I didn't expect to read the whole thing, but I ending up finding myself at the end

I'm pretty sure he did say that he went to the police station and got a permit, though. I remember being surprised at how easy he made it sound seeing as he was in California.

Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    I remember being surprised at how easy he made it sound seeing as he was in California.
    It is a straightforward process, really, in California. As to likelihood of approval, given that it's a might-issue state based on the opinion of the current county sheriff in one's county of residence, it's a big question mark, no doubt. But you fill out the form, provide your "justification" reason(s) for desiring a CHL, then you await the background check process, interview, issuance/denial. Little different from any other state, really. BTDT, myself, in CA.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

OP, only you know whether you're able and willing to get a CCW.

As far as bringing unwanted attention to yourself, concealed means concealed. A good holster and belt combination will reduce the potential that someone will spot your weapon. Modifying how you do things slightly while carrying will add to the protection... (by this I mean if you're CCWing IWB inside the waist band and bend at the waist, there's a chance your weapon may print throught your clothes depending on where it is on your person.) Bending at the knees and squatting down helps to eliminate this... same for being conscious of your cover garment not pulling up when you try to reach for something on a high shelf or you rais your arms over your head.

Little modifications to behavior will lessen the chances you'll be "fingered" by the public at large.

Don't be too concerned about someone seeing the lump under your clothes and thinking immediately "he's got a GUN!!!" It's not going to happen. Most times someone isn't looking at your waist anyway... if they are and notice a lump, they'll most likely chalk it up as a cell phone or PDA, insulin pump, whatever.

Some states link CCW permits with driver's license... others don't.

Some states have a duty to notify upon contact with an LEO... others don't.

DUI while CCWing may or may not carry increased consequences... I personally think it's a bad idea to drink to excess especially when CCWing. (Note: I'm ok with a person having a drink or two but not to the point of intoxication. Alcohol and firearms don't mix in my opinion... but I'd still like the ability to CCW into a bar and have a beer if I wanted to... but alas, I cannot in my state.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links