New to Forum...devils advocate

This is a discussion on New to Forum...devils advocate within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm debating getting the CCW permit I'm concerned that getting the permit will garner unwanted attention. If pulled over in my car I am automatically ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: New to Forum...devils advocate

New to Forum...devils advocate

I'm debating getting the CCW permit

I'm concerned that getting the permit will garner unwanted attention.

If pulled over in my car I am automatically identified as a CCW holder. This could present a problem when I travel by car especially through Illinois whether I have a firearm or not.

The penalties for DUI as CCW holder are exponentially worse. Though I have no intention of driving while intoxicated will I automatically be suspected if pulled over?

Most states honor castle law so I can keep in my car anyway.

If I need to use a firearm without a CCW I'm not sure that the penalties outweigh the actual result.

I understand there are laws and my intention is to obey them. I'm just not sure if its worth the trouble either way

2. Remove Ads

Why would having a CCW have anything to do with whether a cop suspects you're DUI?

If you're carrying concealed, a permit shouldn't garner any unwanted attention. In some states a cop can NOT automatically tell that you're a CWL holder and you may not even have to tell him. HandgunLaw might be able to help you figure out what your state rules.

Not saying that CC is for everyone, but if your only concern is run-ins with law enforcement, just be aware that most people here, including myself, have had nothing but positive experiences when being pulled over and voluntarily notifying the officer. If you decide to go for the permit, keep us updated Welcome!
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I wouldn't give up my permit for anything.

If I have to defend my life, the 'penalties' could very well make it impossible for me to do so in the future. Felons are not allowed to own firearms. A felon with a firearm is twice a felon.

There are laws that protect a legally armed citizen (with or without a permit), but a legally armed citizen without a permit has a bit more of an uphill battle to fight than one with a permit.
    SuperRuger101 likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Getting the permit will not garner unwanted attention. Breaking the law will garner unwanted attention.

Everyone has to make their own choices based on their own perceptions.

Good luck.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Michigan!

Spend some time around here. Read as much as you can. Learn the laws of your state. Once you have that information, you can make a more informed decision.
    SuperRuger101 likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member
    1) Welcome to the group.
    2) Even if your hometown PD shows you as a permit holder during a registration check, it's extrememly unlikely that such information would be available to LEO's outside your home state.
    3) Don't drive drunk and don't carry a weapon drunk... plain and simple.
    4) In most states, carrying a loaded weapon in your car without a permit will land you in jail... do not pass go, do not collect $200.
    5) If you find yourself in a position where you need to employ a firearm for personal defense, you'll be FAR better off if you've shown the discipline to obtain the proper permits and obtain professional training of some sort. If you are involved in a shooting while carrying illegally, you'll start the subsequent legal battle already branded as a criminal for illegal carrying... not a good thing.

Very best of luck to you with whatever path you choose (^_^)
    Badey likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

"If I need to use a firearm without a CCW I'm not sure that the penalties outweigh the actual result"

It is not so much the penalties as the aftermath...

all good input...whoppo especially

Welcome to the forum.

Why do you believe that getting a CCW permit will bring unwanted attention? Concealed means concealed...if someone looks at you and is able to tell that you have a firearm, you are not properly concealing your firearm.

If pulled over in my car I am automatically identified as a CCW holder. This could present a problem when I travel by car especially through Illinois whether I have a firearm or not.
    If you are worried about being pulled over, don't give the police a reason to pull you over in the first place. If you haven't done so already, check the laws regarding transporting a firearm in your state and any states you will be traveling in.

The penalties for DUI as CCW holder are exponentially worse. Though I have no intention of driving while intoxicated will I automatically be suspected if pulled over?
    Not unless you give the officer a reason to suspect that you might be intoxicated. If you are going to carry a firearm, it is your responsibility to carry responsibly. If you can't do that, then you might want to consider other options.

That might be helpful if the BG attacks you while you are in your car and you can still get to your gun, but it doesn't do you much good the rest of the time.

If you are going to own a firearm, get trained on how to use it.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Re: New to Forum...devils advocate

Most states do not tie permit to driver's license. Some do.

You cannot carry loaded in a car under castle doctrine in most states.

You cannot carry loaded in Illinois, in a car, or in a bar, or on a horse, you cannot carry in Illinois, of course!

The reasons to carry a weapon is predicated on your desire to protect yourself and/or your loved ones, not on whether you might (unlikely) be inconvenienced. Carrying a firearm for self defense is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable.
    Yetiman likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Many of the like minded people understand that to obtain a CCW permit you are obviously well within the law (not a felon, or any other reason that would prevent you from getting one). As far as attention, what the sheep don't know wont hurt em! I carry for me and mine, no one else. Welcome from So Cal and stay safe!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Benandjoesdad View Post
    I'm debating getting the CCW permit

If I need to use a firearm without a CCW I'm not sure that the penalties outweigh the actual result.

I understand there are laws and my intention is to obey them. I'm just not sure if its worth the trouble either way
    Wow - I'm not sure of your sources of information, but a lot of what you just posted is questionable if not just wrong.

First - having a CCW does not automatically appear to a cop who runs your ID in a traffic stop. That capability varies from state to state,

Second - who says "The penalties for DUI as CCW holder are exponentially worse" - ?

Third - "Most states honor castle law so I can keep in my car anyway." WRONG. Some states have a "castle doctrine" law, but even among those that do, it does NOT automatically extend to your car.

In all seriousness, you really need to seek better information about the rights and responsibilities of the legal use of deadly physical force before you consider applying for a CCW. Also, learn what your state laws are regarding carrying firearms at home or anywhere else. Laws vary state to state, and you really need to understand what actually and specifically applies to you.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Welcome aboard. Boy somebody sold you a bunch of it. I agree with what Gasmity and others have said. Do some research on the subject. Enjoy.
    phreddy likes this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

My suggestion is lurk around here for a while and read the posts and replies. Use the information from the wealth of knowledge you read here. Then, do you homework and make your decision. The reasons that any of us carry are our reasons based on what we sit fit for each of us. Some may agree or disagree with others here, but the information I gahtered from these ladies and gentlemen has helped me be a better and informed "armed" citizen.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links