My, how time changes things - Page 2

My, how time changes things

This is a discussion on My, how time changes things within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm one in the older group, but ..... I've always been a "functionalist" ..... if it performs the function it's intended to do and does ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: My, how time changes things

I'm one in the older group, but ..... I've always been a "functionalist" ..... if it performs the function it's intended to do and does it well, that's all I really care about. Anything on top of that is nothing but a plus. So, I have a variety in 'types' of guns and like them all. Each has it's pluses and minuses. I guess I also like "variety" .... LOL.
    miller_man likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Switched out carrying my 1911 IWB, to shoulder holster. Now, I can easily deal with the weight of a gov't size and not even know it's there.
    On the hip, yeah, polymer.

I am another old guy. Only this year I got into the 1911 platform and I love it. I would buy a new gun about once every year or so , but I have bought three 1911's this year. I have nothing against Glocks I even own one, a 36, but I just can't seem to get enough of the 1911s. I remember when my wife and I went to see Die Hard II and Bruce Willlis used the line that he knew he was dealing with terroist because they used Glocks that could not be detected by airport security. I lost all respect for him and his movies after that.

I've gone full circle. Started with revolvers and stayed with them for a long time. Eased into semi-autos, then went tupperware, subcompacts, and then back to revolvers.
    Tayopo likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

To paraphrase Forrest Gump, "functional is as functional does". The relentless march of technology always turns previously good ideas into antique novelties. Have you seen many horse-drawn buggies on the road lately outside of Amish country? Yes, times change. What I find almost singularly unique about certain firearms is that they stay in the popular mainstream in SPITE of the fact that technology has marched well past them. Let's talk 1911 variants. A 100+ year old design that's STILL the preferred choice of a strong percentage of handgunners from competition, to LE, to military, to civilian personal defense. It's not nostalgia or Luddism that keeps J.M. Browning's genius in the holsters of Rob Leatham, the USMC Recon, LAPD SWAT, etc. etc. Nor is it black powder season when thousands of Winchester & Marlin lever actions head to deer camp. They more than survive, they THRIVE...because they work.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    Fact: Assault Glock AK47s with assault barrel shrouds, assault shoulder things that go up and loaded with cop killer assault bullets are deadlier than the H-Bomb.
    That actually is a fact. The AK47 has killed more humans than any other weapon in the history of man. Still kills 250K per year.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbglock View Post
    That actually is a fact. The AK47 has killed more humans than any other weapon in the history of man. Still kills 250K per year.
    Actually the AK-47 has killed no one but has been USED to killed millions.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Well, what does it say about me - a 'younger' guy- who dropped a polymer framed weapon in favor of a large chunk of steel?
    I'm pretty much with you there RevolvingMag (except the 'younger' part....damn it)! I like my large chunks of steel the best! That's why shoulder holsters are the cats butt for toteing these iron babies. Hmmmm.....kinda gives you a better excersize workout taking the iron along!

neverenough

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Times have changed??,Not here they haven`t. At 66 I`m still carrying my metal weapons IWB,No Tupperware stuff but I`ve owned a few and sold them quick as I like the feel of steel. It`s more comforting to me and the balance is right. Tupperware guns are always too top heavy for my paws. Here`s my EDC rotation... . Just my $0.02.

Not to ruffle any feathers but,if you have been cc since I was in element school,you might actually qualify as an old guy.Maybe not,just saying...I also started with revolvers in the 90s and then moved to polymer.Think that nowadays almost everyone new to carry goes for poly,very few reasons not to imo
    MikeyIdaho likes this.

This may well be a blasphemy around here but I've never been a fan of 1911s (aside from how they look). It's been a long time since I've last shot one, so long I can't even remember the brand or model, so lately I've been thinking about giving them another chance.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Been carrying in the car since I go out of the Air Force 30 years ago. I remember the rage over the Plastic (Glock) guns and cop killer hollow point bullets too. That first carry guns was a colt 1911 Commander then a Sig P-220 which I still have. Got My Ky CC in 2009 and still carry my P-220 and a CZ-75 Pre B all steel. Both P-220 and the CZ are equipped with CT laser grips. I have never liked polymer guns so I don't have any.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    This may well be a blasphemy around here but I've never been a fan of 1911s...
    Yep, you're right. It is. Grab your pitchforks boys, anyone seen my torch?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Well, what does it say about me - a 'younger' guy- who dropped a polymer framed weapon in favor of a large chunk of steel?
    That you appreciate fine machinery.

Administrator
    I still carry a Colt Combat Commander quite a bit, but I am not going to yell at you for switching to Tupperware.
    Sometimes I carry an alloy frame SIG and I do notice a weight difference.
    I use a double weight Herman Oak leather belt and that really helps distribute/diffuse the additional weight of the C. Commander and so that makes carrying a heavier firearm much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by TangoDelta View Post
    Firstly, let me say I'm not an "old" guy, but I have been EDC since 1981. For years my only carry gun was my Colt Combat Commander (which I still love). I remember when Glock hit the market, I told my brother, "A plastic gun? You'll NEVER see me with one." Well, of course now 99% of my carry is polymer framed. Yesterday, I strapped on my beloved 1911, and after a few hours I felt like I had a boat anchor in my waistband!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links