My, how time changes things

This is a discussion on My, how time changes things within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Firstly, let me say I'm not an "old" guy, but I have been EDC since 1981. For years my only carry gun was my Colt ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: My, how time changes things

Firstly, let me say I'm not an "old" guy, but I have been EDC since 1981. For years my only carry gun was my Colt Combat Commander (which I still love). I remember when Glock hit the market, I told my brother, "A plastic gun? You'll NEVER see me with one." Well, of course now 99% of my carry is polymer framed. Yesterday, I stapped on my beloved 1911, and after a few hours I felt like I had a boat anchor in my waistband!

VIP Member
    Been carrying off and on since 1975 starting with S&W Model 10/15s depended on what Command Post had at the time. Also remember the media fear mongering that plastic guns were undetectable by metal detectors. Still prefer metal guns and leather holsters and do not find the weight to be a problem.
    JDE101 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Well, I AM an "old guy" & I'll tell you that my lightweight Commander is a dang sight lighter than that flintlock pistol I used to pack around! It's also quicker to reload & the muzzle flash is much easier on my night-vision.
    Keech, oldnfat, ws76133 and 10 others like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Well, what does it say about me - a 'younger' guy- who dropped a polymer framed weapon in favor of a large chunk of steel?
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Unlike the title to this thread "My, how time changes things", it seems the discussion on metal vs plastic will never change!!! Just sayin....Glock on Gentlemen!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I'm not a young guy, albeit younger than you. Been carrying since '94 or '95, of course since I came along a little later the plastic fantastic was all the rage and the .40 S&W was the new caliber to have. I did the exact opposite of you and started with a G22 and progressed backwards to a Colt 1911 shortly thereafter. I guess I have gone full circle and now AIWB carry a G23 ~ 80% of the time. The Colt Govt. still sees CC from time to time as do Sigs, but that light G23 in an AIWB Kydex rig is just so darn easy to lug around.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Well, I AM an "old guy" & I'll tell you that my lightweight Commander is a dang sight lighter than that flintlock pistol I used to pack around! It's also quicker to reload & the muzzle flash is much easier on my night-vision.

Too funny...you have me laughin' so hard I'm cryin'!

It is amazing what we considered good carry choices just as little as 15 or 20 years ago. The choices in firearms we have to carry today are light years ahead of back then. A lot of people just tend to stick to their roots, so to speak, and never change.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Progress.

GH
    I'm the type of guy that has to have anything new that comes out. The trouble with that is I'm normally flat broke & can't afford anything new that comes out. I just have to make do with what I have & make the best of it.
    oldnfat likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I started out when revolvers were still the handgun of choice. Then I started getting into the (steel framed) semi's. I still love revolvers and 1911s. It took me a LONG time to give a serious look at polymer pistols, in the form of Glocks, which I now love. And I took a big plunge last year and picked up a polymer framed revolver, the Ruger LCR, which is just a phenomenal revolver. I guess I'm just a big fan of guns in general, and if a particular design strikes my fancy, well, I just gotta have it!

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Well, what does it say about me - a 'younger' guy- who dropped a polymer framed weapon in favor of a large chunk of steel?
    It says you've passed into adulthood!
    JDE101, msgt/ret and archer51 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Guess I'm just kinda old fashioned. I still prefer steel and don't worry about the weight of a full size 1911. And I'm also old enough to remember when our then senator from Ohio, the anti-gun idiot Howard "Metzenbum", was raving on about how the "plastic" guns couldn't be detected by the metal detectors at the airports and all the terrorist would use them to hi-jack airplanes! So they should be banned! Along with all the "cop killer" bullets--whatever they were.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    the anti-gun idiot Howard "Metzenbum", was raving on about how the "plastic" guns couldn't be detected by the metal detectors at the airports and all the terrorist would use them to hi-jack airplanes! So they should be banned! Along with all the "cop killer" bullets--whatever they were.
    Fact: Assault Glock AK47s with assault barrel shrouds, assault shoulder things that go up and loaded with cop killer assault bullets are deadlier than the H-Bomb.
    msgt/ret likes this.

I also switched to a polymer pistol in 2008. Carried steel guns since 76. First time I shot a Glock was back in 97 maybe. I hated it! It felt like I was aiming at the sky!

Fast forward, and now all I carry is polymer! And Glocks to boot! Go figure. You can teach an old dog new tricks!
    Question Everything!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links