Permit density in WA

Permit density in WA

This is a discussion on Permit density in WA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A local news agency did some research and broke down the percentage of CPL holders per zip code. It's an intersting article (interesting includes laughable ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 9MMare
  • 1 Post By Shrieken

Thread: Permit density in WA

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar

Permit density in WA

A local news agency did some research and broke down the percentage of CPL holders per zip code. It's an intersting article (interesting includes laughable in relation to the assistant chief of police of Seattle's comments). The map is interesting to look at too. Obviously Seattle area in general has the lowest general percentage. It seems that the richer areas also have lower numbers.

The article's idea that license holders directly indicates gun ownership is a little off, but the trends are probably comparable. The other thing is that the people in Seattle are not only less likely to have a permit, they are also much less likely to OC, giving them a drastically less likely chance to be able to defend themselves.

My question would be what would happen if you overlay/compare this with a map of crime statistics. I would be willing to bet that the higher crime rates would be aligned with the lower permit holders.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/seat...mselves/nSq4B/

http://www.kirotv.com/gun-permits/
    Walk softly ...

Alright, so I thought I looked for this being posted, but right after I started the thread, I found this:

Liberal and un-armed in Seattle

So for my thread, lets focus specifically discuss what might cause the large differences in permit numbers in larger areas, and also in communities right next to eachother.
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    The county I live in has 10 permit holders per thousand. The community I live in has about double that amount. There are only two city's in the county, and their crime rates are more than five times what they are in my area. So that would easily back up your assumption. DR

Once again, the percentages arent realistic. That % takes into consideration *total population of that community, while only adults over 18 may carry, and convicted felons cannot, and there are other people that are legal residents that are not necessarily eligible for permits. For all I know, illegal immigrants are included in those numbers...because illegal or not, we know the general numbers on those people so that we can predict needs for public services, schools, etc.

(*At least I didnt read anywhere that the % were adjusted for 'eligibility.')
    Fisher10 likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I'm in the North Kitsap area, Kingston 6%
    My EDC G27 gen. 4
    Favorite range gun G23 gen. 3

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Once again, the percentages arent realistic. That % takes into consideration *total population of that community, while only adults over 18 may carry, and convicted felons cannot, and there are other people that are legal residents that are not necessarily eligible for permits. For all I know, illegal immigrants are included in those numbers...because illegal or not, we know the general numbers on those people so that we can predict needs for public services, schools, etc.

(*At least I didnt read anywhere that the % were adjusted for 'eligibility.')
    I totaly agree with you, and I had the same critique of the numbers going through my head. The numbers may not be exact, but we can at least get an idea towards the general trends by looking at this. I think we all know that people can make statistics say anything they want to, but this map does show some interesting data.

Apparently some people on both sides were unhappy with this data being published. The unnarmed were unhappy that their neighborhoods could now be targeted by criminals with less chance of confronting an armed victim, and the gun owners were displeased because they feel it is nobody's business wether or not they have guns. Kind of interesting.

The unarmed want the general protection of an armed society, but without getting their hands dirty with the evil little guns.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    The unarmed want the general protection of an armed society, but without getting their hands dirty with the evil little guns.
    In medicine we use the term 'herd immunity' to describe that people who are unvaccinated against a disease can still protected from it if there are a high number of people around them that are vaccinated. That immunity gets lost when vaccination rates drop, and then you get outbreaks of things like mumps and measles that have happened lately.

I guess we as concealed carriers are supposed to be the 'vaccine' against violent crime. I only protect my herd.
    GH likes this.

Sponsored Links