Wyoming Drops New Mexico – OK Open Carry Starts

This is a discussion on Wyoming Drops New Mexico – OK Open Carry Starts within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The WY AG’s office called me and told me NM would be removed from their list of states they honor. They said it may be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Wyoming Drops New Mexico – OK Open Carry Starts

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

Wyoming Drops New Mexico – OK Open Carry Starts

The WY AG’s office called me and told me NM would be removed from their list of states they honor. They said it may be another week before they remove it. I was surprised they didn’t remove it much earlier as WY honors anyone who honors them and NM Dropped WY in late April.

Open Carry is legal in OK now. Handgunlaw.us doesn’t deal with Open Carry much but this new law came into play when I contacted OK about other matters. Seems OK is trying very hard to make sure all Law Enforcement is up to speed on the new law. Police/Sheriff Offices I contacted were very friendly and answered all my questions. Didn’t get the stuttering I get from many others when you ask specific questions about their laws.

The first of the year things will really pick up on the state level as many legislatures will start meeting. State RKBA’s Organizations will be pushing for changes that benefit us who carry firearms. There will also be those trying to restrict our right to carry. I have to state I don’t pay to much attention to any bills introduced as so many get introduced and die without a vote. There is no way I can track all of them. What I watch are those that have passed one house and have a good chance of passing the other house in the Legislature. Sadly many of these die or are amended to death.

If a bill passes one house in your legislature and has a chance to pass in the other please let me know. admins@handgunlaw.us A bill # would be greatly appreciated. Links appreciated but with the bill number I know where to look. I want to thank those who in the past have given me a heads up on legislature etc. Without your assistance Handgunlaw.us would not be what it is today.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

2. Remove Ads

you might mention, Open Carry is legal in Oklahoma, "IF" you have a conceal carry permit. I don't think it's a general open carry law. Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

You are correct. You need a permit/license to open carry.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Yay us! Gary, when the legislative session gets into swing I try to keep up with certain issues, so I'll try to keep you apprised.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Gary,

Some may not say it.... so I'll attempt to speak for everyone....

Thank you for your work on this... Your site is very helpful... and it must take a lot of effort to keep it current.. We all appreciate it.
    sdprof, joker1, jem102 and 1 others like this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    you might mention, Open Carry is legal in Oklahoma, "IF" you have a conceal carry permit. I don't think it's a general open carry law. Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong.
    Yes, that is correct, you need a license to carry to open carry under Oklahoma's new law.
    I have been on top of this, and I can tell you there is just no way I can see how Oklahoma could have done it any other way. It was tough enough in today's political climate to even get this done (licensed open carry). The level of prejudice and disinformation on this topic is unreal.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

VIP Member
    Thanks again for the fantastic work you do, Gary. It is unfortunate that shall issue states cannot get beyond the personal bureaucratic pettiness of their own politics (my state is near the top of that list) and recognize each other's licensing unconditionally. It is particularly discouraging when it becomes reduced to the you-don't-recognize-mine-so-I-will-no-longer-recognize-yours level described in your original post.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Thank you. Your words are very much appreciated!
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Is Oklahoma going to give open carry permits or is open carry allowed if you have a concealed carry permit?

Re: Wyoming Drops New Mexico – OK Open Carry Starts

Its open carry if you have the concealed carry (SDA) license, which is now a handgun license since it allows concealed or open carry. There is no carry, open or closed, without the license.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

So, how does this new OK law apply to honored CHL's from other states? If I am a CHL holder in Texas, I could previously (and still can) conceal carry in OK. Can I now open carry as well?

Yes you can. OK honors all other states permit/licenses to carry. To open carry in OK you just have to have a permit/license to carry from any state.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    Yes you can. OK honors all other states permit/licenses to carry. To open carry in OK you just have to have a permit/license to carry from any state.
    Gary -- I can just see the anti-OC people using THIS as a reason to fight Oklahoma's new law.
    So far I haven't seen anyone open-carrying, yet.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

kansas changed a key law 5 yrs ago...... that previously allowed cities to 'prohibit ' open carry..... to one that says " they can only regulate the "manner" of open carry. The cities are just now figuring it out .... their laws on prohibiting open carry were pre-empted by the State. They are resisting to the most part and complaining in every way they can, but .... many are now changing their laws to be in compliance with the state law (although whining the whole way).
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

More states are opening up. I am pleasantly surprised at what has happened in the last 10 years. Everything the anti's said would happen when our carry laws were opened up never materialized. They still claim that blood will run in the streets and that there will be a shoot out at every fender bender but it has never happened. Many in positions of authority said it would lead to every type of crime, shootout etc. After the laws went into effect I have never heard of one of them saying, "I told You so!" What ones who did speak up after a law was in effect for awhile stated, "There has not been any problems to amount to anything!" Funny as the anti's state that if we carry firearms that those firearms have this magic in them that turns all those who would carry such a thing into maniacs. I think the anti's see that magic as they are the ones who hold all those demons in them that scare them and us good folks are, Well just GOOD FOLKS!!!!!!
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links