Wedding Carry

This is a discussion on Wedding Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So being a violinist, I play lots of weddings and usually have a .380 in the pocket or PPK in the Shoulder Holster or a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Wedding Carry

Wedding Carry

So being a violinist, I play lots of weddings and usually have a .380 in the pocket or PPK in the Shoulder Holster or a .38 in the ankle. It's me, my violin, and a quick in and out, I play cocktail hours but no later.
    Sat. I have to attend a wedding and the reception is in a not so great part of Buffalo (Near Kleinhans for those of you that know the neighborhood) with street parking only. It will be a Saturday night, the creepy crawlies will be out since it's going to be not raining for the first time in 2 weeks.

I've decided I will carry and forgo any alcohol (I can usually get away with Tonic water with a lime and look "socially acceptable") but am unsure how I want to proceed. My wife will be there, I will have to dance, if it's hot, I may have to take off the jacket. I want to bring "enough gun" so here are my options.

.380 LCP in the pocket
    .380 PPK in the shoulder or IWB
    .38 in the shoulder or IWB (hammerless)
    additional .38 in the ankle (BUG) (airlite)
    9mm IWB (Taurus PT99 and it's huge) no spare mag but 15 rnds.
    .45 1911 Kimber in a shoulder holster with double mag spare.
    .45 cap and ball, Gangsta style since I only have a OWB holster and NYS is carry concealed only.

I'm not skinny but God cursed me with small shoulders and slender arms so the .45 sticks out unless it's under some bulky coat.

Thoughts?

Jim

2. Remove Ads

Man, I gotta say, I'd go with the airlight and maybe a speedloader in the pocket. Leave the Kimber in the car.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

If you are worried about bringing enough gun, then make sure you bring enough gun.

Go with the .45 1911 Kimber in a shoulder holster with double mag spare.

Wear it under your button down shirt. This way it is still concealed if you feel the need to take your jacket off. If you need to use it, just rip the shirt open.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Unless it's a gangbanger wedding, it sounds like your biggest threat is getting to and from your parked car. I'd feel pretty comfortable with a J-frame snub in a front pocket and a reload or two.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Bring them all.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

VIP Member
    Yeah got to agree the J frame should handle the trip to the car.

I may or may not have pocket carried a J frame at my own wedding. My bride was found with a hideout gun at the reception.

derringer.jpg
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Tough to hang a gun on a bean pole.

Ankle carry of a small-ish .38/.357 revolver sounds like a good option. Assuming, of course, you avoid "where's the flood?" style slacks. Black slacks, socks, holster, gun. Hard to see, at a glance. Even more so, if you're standing (as a solo violinist), quick-in / quick-out.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Weddings are hug-fests. Pocket or ankle carry would be advisable.

If you are truly concerned with having enough gun, use the .38 to fight your way to the car where you have stashed an AR or shotgun. Arrive very early to ensure a close parking space near an exit. You MUST think tactical in these situations!

:)

That's mostly a joke, but you can still see the wisdom in parking close so as to reduce your "exposure" on the street. Now, if you still don't think you are alright with the j frame or .380, you might want to consider coming down with the "flu" and send your apologies.

All in all, I say don't over-think it. Go, have fun and celebrate with family/friends.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Well, I'm 5'11" and about 150, lean. So I'm something of a beanpole. I carried at my own wedding. My S&W M&P .40c in a CrossBreed Supertuck. I also carried at a wedding I attended and got spotted by the photographer, who recognized the belt clip. I believe he had a 9mm in his camera bag.

In your situation, and I normally wouldn't suggest this since I'm not a .380 fan, but I'm thinking PPK IWB/pocket and a .38 on the ankle. Like has been said already, weddings tend to be huggy, and I question a shoulder holster in that situation. With IWB you can just force the hug a certain way and minimize risks.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

LCP in the pocket will never be noticed. Do at least that and maybe a shoulder rig for the bigger guns.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.

Good thoughts, thank you. I think I can just about bring them all I'll put the .38 airlite in the ankle, the PPK, 9mm and .38 hammerless on IWB, .45 on the shoulder and the LCP in the pocket. Maybe leave the black powder in the car.
    I'm kidding, of course. I think the .38 IWB will work. The weather is cooler so I can stash an ankle holster to switch in the overcoat if I need to lose the jacket. .45 in the car isn't bad but do you guys feel you'd be risking losing your favorite gun if someone stole the car from the street and your gun was in it? I've never been a fan of leaving a firearm in my car, even in the lockbox cabled under the seat.

Jim

If you're worried, remove the barrel and put it in your pocket. haha

But I've locked mine in the car plenty, and I still understand your trepidation. But, as someone once said "something's gotta give".
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Man, whatever you do, don't let the bride know about it. Awhile back a guy asked whether he should open carry at a wedding. I told him the bride would feed it to him if she found out.

Hide it, and hide it well.

mkh
    Been to 2 weddings this year and carried to both.

At the last wedding my niece (works in the jail) was marrying a deputy and most of his squad and friends were there. More guns present than you could count. I felt safe but carried anyway.

Stick the lcp in your pocket and you should be fine.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Lots of women at weddings. An LCP does not show in a Tuxedo. The ones worth knowing would like that like that the bulges in your pockets are guns. At the last wedding i attended, i was "throwing out" the bride. I asked the groom if he preferred the double barrel or the pump. As he has done 3 tours in the sandbox it didn't phase him a bit.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links