Informing the dispatcher - a scenario

This is a discussion on Informing the dispatcher - a scenario within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why would to leave the bad guys view? What is to stop him form leaving at that point, why not just tell him to go ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Informing the dispatcher - a scenario

Why would to leave the bad guys view? What is to stop him form leaving at that point, why not just tell him to go away rather than tell him to get on the ground if you dont intend to keep him there. Law enforcement doesnt re-holster until the guy is in cuffs and under their control.

The cops will not just come in guns blazing because you are holding a gun, just an announce yourself and put the gun on the ground when they tell you to, and never, ever, point it in their direction. You will be treated as a criminal and handcuffed until they get the full story.

2. Remove Ads

I did not say to leave I said get out of his view.

I think the scenario is being muddled. If it was a matter of apprehending the criminal, then I don't see what possible good leaving the view and reholstering does. If the purpose is out of safety, such as you secured the BG and there are additional threats, I can see leaving and reholstering.

Quote Originally Posted by Spovik View Post
    If the purpose is out of safety, such as you secured the BG and there are additional threats, I can see leaving and reholstering.
    I certainly would not holster my gun if there were additional threats.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    I certainly would not holster my gun if there were additional threats.
    Well yeah, but I think sprinting down the road flailing a firearm around isn't the best bet either. There's too much room for interpretation with this scenario.

There's too much room for interpretation with this scenario.
    Well my original question was about what the 911 caller should do to inform the dispatcher about the CPL holder. It has apparently evolved from that point somewhat...

Just to throw a monkey wrench into the situation, what if the BG gets up and runs ? I wonder how many would shoot the BG running away ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    Well my original question was about what the 911 caller should do to inform the dispatcher about the CPL holder. It has apparently evolved from that point somewhat...
    Lol indeed, and usually does. :) With that aspect only, I'd definitely ask the 911 caller to describe my appearance and clothing, Also, provide the dispatcher with as much description as possible to describe the situation such as "aisle 6 of the supermarket, with weapon pointed towards the rear or the store"

Quote Originally Posted by brownsbacker View Post
    Just to throw a monkey wrench into the situation, what if the BG gets up and runs ? I wonder how many would shoot the BG running away ?
    Let him run. If you're not in fear for your life then you have no reasonable case to use deadly force.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrulz View Post
    The cops will not just come in guns blazing because you are holding a gun, just an announce yourself and put the gun on the ground when they tell you to, and never, ever, point it in their direction. You will be treated as a criminal and handcuffed until they get the full story.
    While this may be true, I can not help but feel extremely offended at this concept. Which brings me to ...
    Due to the prospects of the former, I would be inclined NOT to try to hold a BG that gave up. Also, in my state, there is no power of citizen arrest, which is what this could (and would ?) be construed as, meaning you may find yourself on the wrong side of Johnny Law.

VIP Member
    Well yeah, but I think sprinting down the road flailing a firearm around isn't the best bet either. There's too much room for interpretation with this scenario.
    I didn't see running down the road flailing included in the scenario, so, ... oh, I just noticed your avatar. Carry on.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    If he did something bad enough for me to be holding him at gun point, he probably did something bad enough to get shot.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Give a very brief description of the incident and that you have the perp face down on the ground at gun point.
    Whom ever calls will usually have to stay on the line until the officer arrives.

If the perp is cooperating with commands and their weapon has been removed, they are of little danger in their current position and are no threat to you at that point. Getting out of sight and continuing to give them commands is a good way to maintain control of the scene until the LEO's arrive.

You could reholster as you'll certainly have the drop on the fellow on the ground but situation will dicate your cicumstances.

YOUR CARRY GEAR will dictate how you handle your firearm. I have a IWB holster that I can reholster easily with, many don't.

Once the officer arrives I would reholster at that point and place my hands in the clear view of the LEO's following their commands.

If the perp decides to run and is not presenting a threat what you do is up to you but, you can't shoot him in most cases, and I don't think I would even persue. He might be leading you right into his backup buddies etc...

Really the responding officer isn't going to care what you look like or who you are. It is a man with a gun holding another with a gun to him/her. They'll sort it out once the get there but keep dispatch on the line as long as you can.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Re: Informing the dispatcher - a scenario

Smart phones do several things, one they call 911, two they take a picture of the BG (hopefully with her weapon nearby). If she runs and leaves the weapon look who has the evidence.

George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links