Informing the dispatcher - a scenario

This is a discussion on Informing the dispatcher - a scenario within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been pondering this somewhat and do not recall (neither do my notes cover) what my instructor said regarding the information I require, so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Informing the dispatcher - a scenario

Informing the dispatcher - a scenario

I have been pondering this somewhat and do not recall (neither do my notes cover) what my instructor said regarding the information I require, so I present it to the forum:

You are forced to draw your weapon on an assailant. They cease their hostilities and follow your order to drop their weapon and lie face down on the ground. You tell someone to call 911, but what do they tell the dispatcher to notify the responding LEOs that you are not the criminal?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    I have been pondering this somewhat and do not recall (neither do my notes cover) what my instructor said regarding the information I require, so I present it to the forum:

You are forced to draw your weapon on an assailant. They cease their hostilities and follow your order to drop their weapon and lie face down on the ground. You tell someone to call 911, but what do they tell the dispatcher to notify the responding LEOs that you are not the criminal?
    A legally armed citizen has apprehended a felon at your location. The felon is on the ground, at gunpoint, and the citizen is of the following description:
    Please send help, and advise the responding officers of the armed good guy.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

A good physical description (male/female, height weight, clothing, etc), possibly a name (inform dispatch that you have a permit and are holding the BG at gunpoint) and stay on the phone with dispatch. When police arrive comply with their instructions, promptly.
    Brad426, pgrass101 and bspoon like this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Sounds good, thanks guys.

I figured a description and notification of my CPL would suffice, but wanted to verify that I was not missing something obvious that I should be including.

Senior Moderator
    Mike1956 nailed it.

Even so, be prepared to follow officers instructions to the letter. You dont want to take a chance that the dispatchers gave them the proper information because sometimes they dont, and its all open to interpretation by all parties involved.
    The responding officers may tell you to drop the gun and get on the ground to secure the scene...or whatever.
    If they do that, just do what they say and let them sort it all out later.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Mike1956 nailed it.

Even so, be prepared to follow officers instructions to the letter. You dont want to take a chance that the dispatchers gave them the proper information because sometimes they dont, and its all open to interpretation by all parties involved.
    The responding officers may tell you to drop the gun and get on the ground to secure the scene...or whatever.
    Absolutely. When the police arrive, it's their show.

They need to describe you really.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    All good advice. One thing to add is where you and the BG are located on property. Back yard, left side of house, inside of the fence etc. Don't be offended if the Police direct you to lay your weapon on the ground, step back or asked to lay on the ground untill they sort things out. This is an extremely dangerous situation for everyone involved.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Make sure you tell them you have a CCW Badge.....This part is extremely important!

Kidding of course!
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Mike1956 nailed it.

Additionally, be aware there is a likelihood that you will be handled as an armed criminal until it gets sorted out. When they tell you to drop the gun and get down on the ground, comply immediately. When they cuff you, do not resist. When they ask you what happened, be truthful, but careful in what you say.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar

You are forced to draw your weapon on an assailant. They cease their hostilities and follow your order to drop their weapon and lie face down on the ground. You tell someone to call 911, but ]what do they tell the dispatcher to notify the responding LEOs that you are not the criminal?
    You have no control over what they tell 911. They have no way of knowing if you are legally armed and may not have observed what happened so they may not know if you are the good guy or not. You must give them that information to relay to 911 and hope they do so.

Be specific but simple: "You! Call 911 and tell them I was attacked. The bad guy is on the ground at gun point".

Don't say anything you wouldn't want repeated to the cops, and keep track of any weapon the bad guy has dropped.

you said B/G complied with your orders. Get out of view of the bad guy and re holster, keep you hands where the police can see them when they arrive.
    inform the 911 oper. that b/g has complied and is face down on the ground. stay on line with operator till police arrive.
    (with your gun in holster the officers should feel a little at ease.)

Quote Originally Posted by electriccowb View Post
    you said he complied with your orders. Get out of view of the bad guy and re holster, keep you hands where the police can see them when they arrive.
    inform the 911 oper. that b/g has complied and is face down on the ground. stay on line with operator till police arrive.
    (with your gun in holster the officers should feel a little at ease.)
    My instructor taught me to keep my gun and eyes on the BG. If you remove him from sight and/or holster your gun, you're giving up the initiative to him again. Why would you give up control of the situation to the criminal? The very thing that is stopping him carrying out whatever act he was intending to do is that he has a gun pointed at him. To remove yourself from the situation seems counter-productive.

My instructor taught me to keep my gun and eyes on the BG. If you remove him from sight and/or holster your gun, you're giving up the initiative to him again. Why would you give up control of the situation to the criminal? The very thing that is stopping him carrying out whatever act he was intending to do is that he has a gun pointed at him. To remove yourself from the situation seems counter-productive.
    That's good advice, until the cops show up. If they show up and you're still pointing your gun, you run the risk of being shot.

I said "Get out of view of the bad guy and re holster" that does not mean he knows you re holstered. If he drops his weapon, and complies with your order to get on the ground and remain still, then he is not a threat to your life at this time. my time to draw from a holster is far faster then any action he may take (at this point) that would endanger my life.
    But If you feel there is still a threat to your life, keep the gun out and pointed at the threat. I will do the same if I still feel there is a threat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links