The good old J-Frame may have prevented a crime today… - Page 2

The good old J-Frame may have prevented a crime today…

This is a discussion on The good old J-Frame may have prevented a crime today… within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A snub in the pocket is a very handy tool. Smell a hint of trouble and you can already have your hand on your gun ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: The good old J-Frame may have prevented a crime today…

A snub in the pocket is a very handy tool. Smell a hint of trouble and you can already have your hand on your gun without exposing you're carrying. It may not be as tacticool as some of the fancy concealment holster/hi-tech pistol combinations, but the simplicity of a snubnose revolver on your pocket has tons of practical application merit. Call it old fashioned, but it has some distinct advantages.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The NC "GATTTOTP" law needs a Supreme Court test. As to the muddy waters on OC, one must be in violation of a state statute (or local ordinance in some cases) to create a criminal act. It there is no statute forbiding or restricting OC, then there is no law to be violated, thus no crime.
    It was mentioned in the post below this but I'll link it here. It's been covered. Folks are either ignorant of it or ignore it.

State v Huntley

STATE v. ROBERT S. HUNTLEY.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

It so happened that when I did this, the man saw me put my hand in my pocket and grab something. To my knowledge my handgun was still concealed… but he definitely knew what I was doing. The expression in his face immediately changed to fright and he stopped walking towards me and started walking towards his original path
    You did everything right. It's why we carry.

And the guy's instantaneous recognition that you were preparing yourself for what was coming is, to me, highly indicative that he at minimum knew the score of the "score" he was about to perpetrate ... even if that was only a mild extortion based on emotion (aka, aggressive panhandling). Entirely possible it was more, given the immediacy of his reaction. He knew that YOU knew, and that's as it should be.

Kudos to you. You did everything right, IMO.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'll be the one to ask - what is GATTTOTP?

StarPD45
    This reminds me of a story I read some time back about two fellows who were walking down a dark street when they saw several guys eyeing them. They unzipped their jackets and the guys just kinda melted away. Never had to pull a weapon.
    The first rule, as mentioned, is be aware of what's going on around you.

Quote Originally Posted by g26az View Post
    I'll be the one to ask - what is GATTTOTP?

GATTTOTP- going armed to the terror of the public.

The few states that still have a GAttTotP violation based in Common Law are Southern States.
    It is a violation based in the class-ism of 13th century English Common Law, and has been allowed to stand in the US legal system as a tool for punishing the "wrong types of people" for lawful carry.

Yikes! Good for you for thinking quick. I'm with you about the eye contact. It almost seems counter-intuitive, when really it makes perfect sense. I haven't had to yet, but I still think I'll find it difficult. Especially since, like you said, adrenaline can do crazy things to you in a matter of seconds.

Welcome to the boards! I love your username

Pleased you're okay. Sounds like your j-frame was so good at its job that it didn't even have to...show-up!

GATTTOTP = middle-aged, sagging, tattooed women stuffing a size 16 caboose into size 4 short shorts roaming Walmart. Now if THAT'S not terrorizing the public, the public is completely immuned to terror.
    lyz_grace likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Cool

.. glad you are safe and saved by your J-frame.
    I had a similar experience last winter, when I was walking towards my car late at night after a night out with a few buddies.
    Saw a guy following me from the restaurant to the street parking across the street.
    At first I thought I left something at the restaurant and he might be an employee who was going to give it to me.
    Though, I saw him from the corner of my eye, yet I ddin't acknowledge it as he never called after me.

As, I was nearing the car, I saw that he increased his pace to cover the gap between us.
    At that same moment, I jingled my keys in the left hand, turn around with my eyes fixed on him and thrust my right hand in my leather jacket with two fingers pressing against the jacket from inside... just like how you make a 'gun' out of your thumb and two (index & middle) fingers.

The bluff worked and the guy seeing it thought I maybe carrying a gun in my jacket pocket & gave me a lame "Hello" & immediately turned to his left (away from me) and started walking away.

Remember... Bad guys are more afraid of us than we of them & they flee at the first signs of trouble that may endanger their life.

I never had a gun on me.

Beeeee careful! Bad guys aren't all afraid of us & don't bluff so easy. I'd hate for a robbery that would have otherwise only cost you your wallet suddenly become holes in your chest & pink froth in your mouth because you prompted a gunfight with your thumb & two fingers. Bluffing in a poker game is one thing, you can't just fold...in a gunfight.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Thank you for the comments... It is interesting to read that others had similar situations.

I still think that it is sometimes better to ignore beggars.... but you are right if you perceive their actions as aggressive you need to look them in the eye as part of the psychological battle...

I have been thinking of my response. I didn't make any effort to make distance between us... When to run? When to fight? I guess these are all decisions based on the situation...

Can you fire to stop a guy just because he is walking aggressively towards you? The answer is no. But also isn't it too late to defend yourself if he is already in the act of attacking you? It all happens very fast...

My reaction was instinctive... reach for the weapon and get ready to defend yourself. Even an incident like this makes you think twice... I may start carrying my Glock more often... and when carrying the J-Frame I will carry a reload.

Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    Welcome to the boards! I love your username
    Thank you

it is getting to the point that we will encounter more of these type of dirt bags. it is best to look them in the eye and keep your hand on your gun and move along.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Beeeee careful! Bad guys aren't all afraid of us & don't bluff so easy. I'd hate for a robbery that would have otherwise only cost you your wallet suddenly become holes in your chest & pink froth in your mouth because you prompted a gunfight with your thumb & two fingers. Bluffing in a poker game is one thing, you can't just fold...in a gunfight.
    Although i mostly agree with you ghost tracker, it seemed to work for this individual quite nicely. I will take lucky over good any day of the week. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Ex Member
    When the Model 60 came out I was a Marine Grunt in Vietnam. My father sent me one, along with a shoulder holster. Though I could not bring it back I have owned at least one ever since.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links