Concealed Carry at your HOA meetings - 2 dead, death penalty sought

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry at your HOA meetings - 2 dead, death penalty sought within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A while back, I recall reading a thread on the legality of carrying to a homeowners meeting, so I figured I would post this news ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry at your HOA meetings - 2 dead, death penalty sought

A while back, I recall reading a thread on the legality of carrying to a homeowners meeting, so I figured I would post this news item as it might be of interest:

Prosecutors Seek Death Penalty for HOA Shooter - ABC News

Prosecutors said Friday they will seek the death penalty for a Louisville man accused of killing two men at a homeowners association meeting over a long-running property dispute.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

It was the dead guys' fault. The killer said so.

It wasn't the meeting itself that was dangerous. It was the attendee. And he could have become a murderer at anywhere & anytime. IMHO, carry EVERYWHERE that the laws in your state allow.
    BenGoodLuck and carracer like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Without attendees . . . there would be no meeting!

This kind of backs up my statement in the previous thread that HOA meetings are one place one should carry. They tend to get quite heated.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

"They just made the killer in me. I had to do it," Hindi said.
    What a surprise. Another criminal failing to take responsibility for his own actions.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    There has been talk of the shooter not playing with a full deck. I hope this does not come down to an insanity plea.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

In the book of Deuteronomy God fixes the penalty at death for moving a neighbors boundary stone. Forrest Gump once said "sometimes there just doesn't seem to be enough rocks". A good land survey would have gone a long way towards preventing this tragedy. Most people don't realize that nearly every war that the world has known has been about boundary dispute and or boundary expansion.

Best part of these stories are usually the comments...

patm662:41 PM EDT
    Nov 02, 2012
    Murder in any case is tragic, but this does not sound premeditated, nor evil in the usual sense. If all hotheads and frustrated citizens act on their emotions as this man did, in the presence of ridiculous gun-carry laws, this will be the outcome many times over.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    It wasn't the meeting itself that was dangerous. It was the attendee. And he could have become a murderer at anywhere & anytime. IMHO, carry EVERYWHERE that the laws in your state allow.
    and where they don't, work at getting the laws changed to where they do.
    carracer likes this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    Best part of these stories are usually the comments...
    ^^^^^^^^^^ +1!

"Murder in any case is tragic, but this does not sound premeditated, nor evil in the usual sense. If all hotheads and frustrated citizens act on their emotions as this man did, in the presence of ridiculous gun-carry laws, this will be the outcome many times over."

I'm going to post a rebuttal:

A person legally authorized to carry a gun may have been able to stop this tragedy from unfolding. It's not the gun-carry law that is at fault - it is the attendee who murdered two people in cold blood. A law-abiding citizen carrying a gun could have possibly stopped the perpetrator before he could murder the two men.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

Not to mention, if the guy were planning on killing the other men, which he obviously was, there isn't a law or gun ban in the universe that would have prevented it. To say that this is an example of why (yet another) criminal protection zone is justified is asinine.
    carracer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    if the guy were planning on killing the other men...there isn't a law or gun ban in the universe that would have prevented it. To say that this is an example of why (yet another) criminal protection zone is justified is asinine.
    Agreed. Weapons are simply tools that leverage intent. My intent isn't to kill but to protect myself & my family. The more "NO GUN" zones there are, the fewer places that I'm gonna' go. And I'll send my lawyer to the HOA meeting.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

mkh
    I'm an officer in our HOA and I am always armed at meetings. We also pay a deputy to attend the meeting. I've seen some people get pretty hot at the meetings and since I have to sit up in front of the facing th audience I am surely going to be armed. After the last meeting the deputy and I were discussing fields of fire. I told him I was not armed to handle the situation and I would leave that to him but I was timed if the need for backup arises. We met in a small room so if something does happen it will get messy fast.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    This story got a lot of coverage when it first happened. The shooter had been exhibiting bizarre behavior for some time and had even let his medical license expire. It is nut jobs like this that is exactly why I carry.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    I'm an officer in our HOA and I am always armed at meetings. We also pay a deputy to attend the meeting. I've seen some people get pretty hot at the meetings and since I have to sit up in front of the facing th audience I am surely going to be armed. After the last meeting the deputy and I were discussing fields of fire. I told him I was not armed to handle the situation and I would leave that to him but I was timed if the need for backup arises. We met in a small room so if something does happen it will get messy fast.
    Sounds like a tough neighborhood. They serve cucumber sandwiches with no crust at our HOA's. The little ol' ladies would faint dead away if they thought somebody had a gun in there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links