0.23" thickness worth it???? - Page 3

0.23" thickness worth it????

This is a discussion on 0.23" thickness worth it???? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by AFP22811 i am trying to decide between a glock 26 and smith and wesson shield. i like how thin the shield is, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 0.23" thickness worth it????

Quote Originally Posted by AFP22811 View Post
    i am trying to decide between a glock 26 and smith and wesson shield. i like how thin the shield is, but i like pretty much everything else about the glock. the shield is 0.23" thinner, will that even be noticeable for concealed carry?
    For me, grip length makes the difference between easy concealment, and harder concealment. The Shield (while a FINE firearm, really, it is a great gun) has a much longer grip than the G26. The thickness has never been an issue for me, whether carrying 1911's or my Glock/M&P9c I find the grip length the issue.

The G26 will also carry 10+1 compared to 7+1 on the Shield or 8+1 with the grip extension. Of course, the Glock with a grip extension can hold 12+1 and will still be shorter and more compact.

For what it's worth, I have all but abandoned my "thin" guns for my newest addition, a Glock 27. I bought it to replace my M&P9c because it IS shorter in height and I grew to not like the S&W triggers. I know you can get an APEX kit, but I like my carry guns to be stock so if, God forbid, I ever had to use it and get into a legal battle, I won't have to deal with the ramifications of such a mod.

Hope that helps.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

In my limited experience, it certainly can make a difference. My first EDC gun was a USP 9c; then I got an HK 45c and OMG, the difference it made! The HK 45 compact looks thicker on paper because of the lever, which is large and paddle-like, but the rest of the gun is much less blocky than the USP design. Plus, if find it easier to shoot and be accurate than that squirrely little 9. The USP compacts can be shot very accurately, but they seem trickier at first, at least to me.

So, yeah, depending on the gun and design, you might be much happier. For me, there was a lot of initial concern about concealability. It didn't take long for me to realize that with the way I dress, that was the easy part. Comfort turned out to be a much bigger issue.

Best wishes and good luck with your choice!

Gav

I also carry a G26 IWB. Suprised to me was my S&W 642 fells great IWB with a Remora. I end up carrying it most of tHe time. Good luck on the holster journey lol.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    how determined is your "will power" for carry? I love my right to carry and I carry a fullsize handgun M&P40 every day. Love it. Is it heavy not really if you have good holster set ups it is comfortable. Is a compact gun lighter sure more comfortable no this falls back to holster set up.

Also If you start off with a larger gun (like i did) then carry a smaller gun you say "oh yeah this is good, but I can carry a full size and feel just as good."
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    I love my right to carry and I carry a fullsize handgun M&P40 every day.
    If I lived in Detroit, I'd carry a fullsize too.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

0.23" thickness worth it????

My Shield 9mm is a delight to carry, a natural point-shooter, and a remarkably accurate gun for its size. When my Kimber Pro Raptor isn't at my 3:30, the Shield is. It's so small and light, I have to check to see if its still there on occasion.

I am going to be the oddman out here. I don't think it matters for comfort if you buy your pants accordingly. If you have a 32 wait and buy your pants with a 32 waist and stuff a shield in your pants it's going to be more comfotable than a glock. If you have a 32 waist and buy your pants with a 33 waist I doubt you will notice and difference between the two. At least, I never did when switching between a thicker gun and a thinner gun when my pants were sized correctly. I think the weight of the firearm is the primary charactersitc of comfrot when it comes to carry. Width plays more into concealment.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    I have both a G30 (a bit thicker than the G26) and a Shield in 9mm. I have a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro for both. I can carry either all day in comfort. I would not say there is not a difference, but in the right holster it won't matter. I generally prefer more of the larger rounds so I carry the G30 more often. The Shield is smaller in all directions, so if I need to go smaller on it goes.

IMNSHO, get the weapon you want and a good holster for it. Either of the options you are looking at will do you fine.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    I used to carry a PM9 as a bug, and for the most part, really liked it. It was a neat little gun. There were two main drawbacks with it. First, try as I might, I was never able to draw and fire it as fast and as accurately as my wider, larger-gripped Glock 19. The other was capacity. Eventually, I traded the Kahr and bought another Glock, letting the 19 fill the bug role.
    9MMare likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I had both a Shield and a G26 for a short time. I liked the Shield a lot, and the quarter inch thinner was easier to hide under an untucked shirt, but it wasn't as easy to hide the longer grip on me. On some folks, it might not matter.

In any event, I shot the IDPA classification match with both the Shield and the G26 and the Shield and scored quite a bit better with the Glock. That was a big vote in favor of the 26, so I traded the Shield in on a Glock 36 just because a guy ought to have at least one .45.

Off topic: My bride has an XDs .45 hidden someplace in the house that will be under the tree for me Christmas day. I filled out the paper work because she thought my name should be on it since I'd be the one carrying it, but I wasn't allowed to touch it. (No worries, I'd already touched it plenty when she wasn't in the store - which is why the store owner told her that is the one I wanted when she showed up to ask. There are benefits to a regular customer of a great local gun store. <grin>) I suspect the XDs will be my IWB summer carry when I want to wear pants or shorts that won't hide the P238 and the thicker G26 prints.

The XDs has two things going for it. It's quite a bit thinner than the 26, it's no taller since I have the +0 Pierce pinky extension on both my G26 magazines. Against it is the fact that it has 6 rounds of .45 while the 26 has 11 rounds of COR-BON DPX +P. That's nearly two to 1. On the other hand, the 9mm version of the XDs, when it arrives, will probably only be 7 rounds total and I can't convince myself that 7 rounds of 9mm is equivelant to the stopping power of 6 rounds of .45. So I'll practice differently with the XDs like I do with the G36. No 1/4 second split double taps. Instead I'll use 3/4 second splits with full recovery of the front sight to make every shot count.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

No difference at all for me there all comfy, I prefer full size guns.

Your holster will make a difference also in comfort and how well it conceals.

If I ever need it, I want to have the gun I shoot best, Not the one that was the most comfortable.

Have a great election night.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links