0.23" thickness worth it????

This is a discussion on 0.23" thickness worth it???? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i am trying to decide between a glock 26 and smith and wesson shield. i like how thin the shield is, but i like pretty ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 0.23" thickness worth it????

i am trying to decide between a glock 26 and smith and wesson shield. i like how thin the shield is, but i like pretty much everything else about the glock. the shield is 0.23" thinner, will that even be noticeable for concealed carry?

IMO, yes, a quarter-inch difference in thickness can make a solid improvement in day-long carry comfort.

The Kahrs are about 0.3" narrower than their Glock counterparts, for example. Kahrs are widely praised for their comfort, while Glocks have the nickname "bricks" (which I'm sure is partly due to their bulkier carry comfort). I've carried both, and they're noticeably different.

I've carried pistols in the 1.25" to 1.4" range of width, as well as ones at or under 1". It's a big difference. Your body shape comes into it, a bit, as does the quality of the holster design. But width matters, I'd say. YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    I agree, yes it does matter. Just going from my CZ which was about 1.3" to eventually my glock which I think is 1.18" there is a noticeable difference. That said, I found out carrying a gun inside your belt is - well carrying a gun inside your belt, I just got used to it.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Absolutely it matters. I went from the XDM to the XDS world of difference.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    For me it comes down to what gun I really want in my holster when I really need it. I carry a gun because I may need it not for comfort or show. (That is to a point because if I really carried what I want it'd be a long gun.)

FOF has shown me to carry what I need to fight the fight I can see happening. Anything less can get you killed.

But I'd be carrying a gun with more rounds than any of those you mention. High-cap mags is what I want and look at. Better to have the fight over before you need a reload. I know the saying of 3s "3'-3 sec-3 rounds" but some are even less and some are more. What if yours is one of the many more. I look for the possible high number and do my best to cover for that.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

thickness has the most impact on comfort in my experience as well. length is pretty easy to conceal and height can sometimes be difficult conceal but not necessarily uncomfortable. that being said, I comfortably carry a Glock every day IWB. it's not the thinnest but its not exactly thick either.

capacity, weight, size, shape etc. picking an EDC is about compromise.
    miller_man and BenGoodLuck like this.

Re: 0.23" thickness worth it????

Yeah, there is a difference. It shouldn't be the reason you don't get the Glock, though.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

VIP Member
    It matters depending on your method of dress, and weight of the gun. If your carrying tucked it will have a slight impact. If your carrying untucked, I doubt you'd notice the difference. The difference in empty weight will be negligible in a poly frame gun. However there will be more weight difference between a double stack and single stack due to ammo weight.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Don't forget the weight difference going from most any mid or full sized pistol to a compact for iwb. Even with a glock that can be 3 or 4 oz difference when loaded. With the M&P's that might be 6oz.

VIP Member
    I have to say, yes and no.

Is the difference noticeable? Yes, it is.

Is it actually necessary? Considering that the two guns probably have different capacities and/or calibers, only you can say for sure. The trade off for the thinner gun may not be enough compared to the loss of several rounds or a step down in caliber.

A good comparison for me is the Glock 19 and the Glock 36. Dimensionally, they are very close in their "foot print". Lower caliber with a higher capacity versus higher caliber but lower capacity. The 36, being thinner, is more comfortable just fiddling around the house. The 19, with a higher capacity, is more comforting heading into Detroit.

The difference of comfort is relative.
    kmagnuss likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Yes, it's more comfortable to carry the thinner gun. That said NOBODY will notice you printing with one more than the other.

Daily carry is G26. The pocket size nines are reviewed in the latest issue of G&A. I could not be happier with the G26.
    I have said that if I am reducing capacity, I will increase caliber. In polymer, G36 or XDS.

Only if you Iwb carry. I Owb my G27 when I can. I can Iwb my G27 pretty well in the cool times also. But I prefer Owb. I'm looking for a Shield but no luck. Both are good guns

In my opinion it is the grip of the gun that is the hardest part to conceal. My body is on the skinny side, so that is the hardest part of any gun for me to conceal, but I am sure that a thinner gun would be nice to have also.

OK...I'll go against the masses...Course, that's not unusual for me. I'd choose/be carrying the weapon that I shot best and that I felt most comfortable with based on reliability. I truly can't see how 0.23" in thickness would affect MY decision...There would be NO "worth it" factor here...Just a "feeling of confidence and security factor...JMO

Course, as has been proven in the responses so far...Size DOES matter!!!
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links