Transition between carrying / not carrying, transportation - Specifics

This is a discussion on Transition between carrying / not carrying, transportation - Specifics within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Specific thoughts on non-specific situations on the most basic premise of carrying -- For example -- I'm in IL (no carry but have UT/FL's). Typically ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: Transition between carrying / not carrying, transportation - Specifics

Specific thoughts on non-specific situations on the most basic premise of carrying --

For example -- I'm in IL (no carry but have UT/FL's). Typically when I go to WI, I'm going somewhere for a few days or what not and I have a room or something. Go in, unpack, carry. Leaving? Case it, pack, go back to IL.

But what about those who are "passing through" - Or if you want to "carry at the border" for whatever reason (or more importantly, STOP carrying at the border going into IL)?

Well, I suppose going IN to IL is easier than going OUT... I can very easily keep an empty case or fanny pack in the front seat, unload and case the weapon and throw it in back (IL requires the gun to be unloaded but the ammo can be in the same case assuming the owner is carrying a FOID).

I suppose some of this is simply about discretion... It's easy enough if everything is in the passenger compartment. But what if you have a hard case in the trunk or something -- How to make that transition without attracting any attention? OR - does it happen all the time and I just don't notice it anyway?

In WI (or so many other states), when you need to pack it away temporarily (going into a US Post Office, etc.), it's as easy as dropping it into the console or putting it under the seat, glove box, etc. But if you're NOT carrying and you find yourself somewhere you'd rather BE carrying - and let's say that discretion is difficult (a public parking lot, etc.)...

And fellow motorcyclists -- I'd love to hear your "technique" in this situation as well.

Don't get me wrong here -- I fully understand that if you STAY ready, you never have to GET ready. But there are situations that I'm sure most of us are in where it's just not possible. And in situations like mine, where you know far in advance that you won't even be able to carry until you're actually in another state, I'm sure a soft zip case is high on the list of "ideal" - But I'm also sure there are options I'm not aware of and I'd love to hear 'em.
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, IL

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    The sittuations you describe can get interesting. I have taken to just opening the car door for cover at a rest stop/gas station and being descrete. Even if someone sees you, you get in the car and drive away, so no big deal. It's best if you can manouver it to do it inside the car, but it is not always an option. Sometimes I will have my wife stand in front of me to block the view even more. Big picture, if you are legal, no worries. Get armed and drive away.
    Walk softly ...

I can answer the "not carrying but decide you should be" question because I have to do this when leaving work...
    Usually it is very simple: head to the bathroom before leaving work, put the IWB holster on, head out to the car and get in, take gun out of lockbox and drop into holster - and drive away. Alternative is put on the paddle holster, drop gun in, drive away...

Today it was slightly more complex because I was wearing scrubs and had parked in the parking structure at work and was heading to a less than nice area of town ... So I left work, pulled over into a parking lot and put on a belt while standing next to the car probably looking suspicious - then got into the car and put on the holster, dropped in gun, and drove away.
    It is really pretty simple. Most people are completely oblivious to what is going on around them and as long as you aren't wildly waving your gun around they probably won't even see it.

Remember the ever-present look-down CCTV cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    Remember the ever-present look-down CCTV cameras.
    See, now that's the kind of practinoid (practical/paranoid) stuff I'm talking about. Don't take that the wrong way -- I feel the same. And that's gone through my mind already -- if I'm going to "gear up" at a gas station, better get whatever I need from the gas station (if anything) *first* - or risk a practinoid cashier that was watching me on the cameras.

The holster is the easy part for me -- If I'm wearing pants, I'm wearing a (IWB) holster. Even in IL, no matter where I am. It's no different than my wallet or my keys.

Otherwise, it's good to know I'm not alone in my quest for discretion...

For the record -- I was at a Cabelas earlier and found a Bulldog case -- small, flat-ish range bag type thing. Holds several mags, has two openings for pistols, an outer pocket for accessories, about $20. Seems just the ticket for the moment (of course, as moments go by, who knows...) to keep in the car.

The Illinois State Supreme Court ruled not too long ago that the center console of your car constituted a "case" for purposes of stowing our weapon under Illinois law. Thus, when driving in Illinois you can keep the gun unloaded and in your console. When you get into free America, you may gear up. A note of caution about this however. It is safe to presume that not every cop, especially those in Chicago, is aware of this Court decision, So, use caution.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Have crossed state borders a number of times, between my concealed-carry state, open carry states, and states that recognize my CHL. Basically, it's as simple as researching the difference ahead of time, planning a route, and stopping short of the border to ensure lawful carry (or stowage). A pain, but I much prefer being armed than not.
    lchamp likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

StarPD45
    As to the Post Office, technically you aren't supposed to have it on the property at all, even in the car.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I take a CCW course every couple of years just to keep up on changes in local laws. I also buy the 2 most relevent books on the subject.

Sponsored Links