Retired LEO carry in NYS

This is a discussion on Retired LEO carry in NYS within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Welcome from a fellow western New Yorker (Chautuaqua County) - Why not just get a NYS pistol permit? The florida and utah are not recognized ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Retired LEO carry in NYS

Welcome from a fellow western New Yorker (Chautuaqua County) - Why not just get a NYS pistol permit? The florida and utah are not recognized by our wonderful state. I used to belong to the Chautauqua County Sheriffs Department in Corrections and they still openly invite me to come to the range on Q-days. Can you do something like that? Unfortunately HR218 doesn't apply to me because I didn't retire, rather went on to medical school.

2. Remove Ads

Get certified. I worked in NYSDOCS too before becoming a PO. Remember, not all cops like CO's. So, I would not count on the blue brotherhood. And yes, sometimes there are perks to being active or retired law enforcement. It's been that way since before any of us were born and it'll be that way long after we're all taking a dirt nap. That's life, get over it.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by kayakersteve View Post
    Welcome from a fellow western New Yorker (Chautuaqua County) - Why not just get a NYS pistol permit? The florida and utah are not recognized by our wonderful state. I used to belong to the Chautauqua County Sheriffs Department in Corrections and they still openly invite me to come to the range on Q-days. Can you do something like that? Unfortunately HR218 doesn't apply to me because I didn't retire, rather went on to medical school.
    You don't have to "retire", you only have to separated from law enforcement after working 10 years.

Just to clear up some points:
    1. I have a NYS permit, for 35 years now.
    2. I would like to carry if I travel out of state.
    3. I don't carry with the intent of being a vigilante. It is for my protection and that of my family.
    4. The Government says that I have the right to, based on my 34 years of law enforcement experience.
    5. Finally, being cheap, I don't want to pay for something that should be provided to me by Federal law.

Quote Originally Posted by RetCONY View Post
    Just to clear up some points:
    1. I have a NYS permit, for 35 years now.
    2. I would like to carry if I travel out of state.
    3. I don't carry with the intent of being a vigilante. It is for my protection and that of my family.
    4. The Government says that I have the right to, based on my 34 years of law enforcement experience.
    5. Finally, being cheap, I don't want to pay for something that should be provided to me by Federal law.
    A) The Government doesn't give you the right to anything. The Government says you can carry in other States "if" you meet and qualify under the standards set through LEOSA.

B) Who said it, or anything should be provided to you free, by the Government or anyone else?

Following that logic, I served in the military, I think I should have my mortgage paid by the Government, etc.

Check out this NYS site. Might be more NYS LEO's in the same position.

NY Firearms

I have a NYS permit for over 38 years and every few years I drop some coin for a few select non-resident permits and can go pretty much where I want.

I can't practice my previous profession (after over 30 years) because I do not want to pay for re-registration ($200) and spend 45 hours every 2 years earning CE credits. That's just how certain things work.

OMO

bosco

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links