Retired LEO carry in NYS

This is a discussion on Retired LEO carry in NYS within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's the problem, there is no statute in any New York State law that mandates that a law enforcement agency qualify its retired officers. Because ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Retired LEO carry in NYS

Retired LEO carry in NYS

Here's the problem, there is no statute in any New York State law that mandates that a law enforcement agency qualify its retired officers. Because it is not required, they won't do it. That being said, can I still carry under HR 218? It seems to me that I should be able to, after all , it's the States fault that they don't. My options are:

1. Get a carry permit from Utah or Florida.

2. Carry anyway, and if an Officer questions me, hope that he has common sense and respects the Blue Brotherhood.

What do you think?

2. Remove Ads

Google around. There seem to be some places in NY you can do the qualification.

Unless you meet the rules of HR218, you aren't covered by it. So there are a dozen or so states you won't be able to carry in with your other state issued permits.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

VIP Member
    Not sure if will help, but this website list some places you could check.

HR 218 certification list.... in THEE RANT Forum
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Not sure if will help, but this website list some places you could check.

HR 218 certification list.... in THEE RANT Forum

^WoW^^^^^^^^^

archer51, way to stay abreast of things.

NY sucks in all things common sense.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

My father, ret NYPD 41st relied on option 2. He never had a problem. These days though, I'm not sure I'd chance it.

What really ticks me off is that after 30+ plus years of wearig a badge, I have to go out and PAY for a service that I am entitled to. Probabably every other state takes care of its retired guys. Not NYS.

Quote Originally Posted by RetCONY View Post
    Here's the problem, there is no statute in any New York State law that mandates that a law enforcement agency qualify its retired officers. Because it is not required, they won't do it. That being said, can I still carry under HR 218? It seems to me that I should be able to, after all , it's the States fault that they don't. My options are:

2. Carry anyway, and if an Officer questions me, hope that he has common sense and respects the Blue Brotherhood.

What do you think?
    I simply can't believe that after 30+ years of carrying a gun you aren't tried of it by now. Don't you know about the evil they represent? I mean, you may not have been on the job in the apple. But, surely you see that arms in the hands of citizens (which is what you are now) is a dangerous folly. Go fishin' or golfin' and leave the cops to do their jobs... just like you did yours.

This PSA brought to you by Blooming Idiots®©TM, Mayor Bloomberg's PAC for same sex couplehood and gun confiscation worldwide.

We now return you to your regular programming....

I think it's a shame that your own state makes it hard for you to get LEOSA coverage
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I'd like to be the first to invite you to come on down to South Carolina...We appreciate your service in blue and welcome you to the ranks of those that are "authorized" to carry in the Palmetto State...
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Regardless of the state he cannot legally carry under HR218 unless he has met the firearms qualification requirements for his home state. I weighed getting the 218 coverage but with the cost of $100 plus the price of ammo, and the need to qualify yearly, I just decided to not frequent the 12 states that do not honor my regular CCW permit. :smile

Quote Originally Posted by RetCONY View Post

What do you think?
    If your former department will not qualify you, you can try and find a certified instructor who will. You do NOT have to be qualified by your former department.

If you cannot find anyone to qualify you under LEOSA, then no, you would not be covered by LEOSA.

Maybe it's me but I find it kind of Ironic that once you hang up the badge that you feel somehow entitled to be able to carry a gun when the regular Peons don't have a snow balls chance in hell of ever getting a permit to carry.Apparently NYC feels the same way,once you retire don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I think Chemung County NY. had a class last year. You would have to call the Chemung County Sherriff to find out for sure. Good Luck

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Just mentioning "Blue Brotherhood" bothers me and so does the idea that if you are a retired LEO, it somehow gives you some kind of "right" to CC without, in many instances, the responsibility to requalify at some age plateau or medical condition plateau (this goes for non-LEOs, as well). Anyone, retired LEO or not, who has a CCWP and is physically unable or limited in the use of their firearm should be required to requalify or at least have the common sense to know that CC is over. Just what I need is to be somewhere and have an 80 year old or debilitated retired LEO present his firearm and start banging away in what may be a very good shoot circumstance but ends up injuring or killing others. As for "Blue Brotherhood"---I find that to be an inexcusable and outrageous comment---once you are retired you are no more and no less than anyone else and getting a pass for whatever reason is downright wrong.
    jem102 and 2wheelGnnr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Just mentioning "Blue Brotherhood" bothers me and so does the idea that if you are a retired LEO, it somehow gives you some kind of "right" to CC without, in many instances, the responsibility to requalify at some age plateau or medical condition plateau (this goes for non-LEOs, as well). Anyone, retired LEO or not, who has a CCWP and is physically unable or limited in the use of their firearm should be required to requalify or at least have the common sense to know that CC is over. Just what I need is to be somewhere and have an 80 year old or debilitated retired LEO present his firearm and start banging away in what may be a very good shoot circumstance but ends up injuring or killing others. As for "Blue Brotherhood"---I find that to be an inexcusable and outrageous comment---once you are retired you are no more and no less than anyone else and getting a pass for whatever reason is downright wrong.
    One wonders... do you feel the same way about service men and women... I mean after they do their bit protecting our rights, and all... what thanks are due? You did it, it's over... thanks and all that... now, go get a job, would ya?

I don't like all cops... don't get me wrong... Prolly don't like all firemen either. But, those that choose to do the work, have (and/or at the very least, been willing to) sacrificed their well being for mine. I respect that. I don't like that retired LEOs can carry a gun in places and states we cannot.

But, at least they can. And enough of "serve and protect" over a career might just rub off enough on them that they actually save an innocent who would not be saved because they were not allowed to be armed when the retired LEO was.

But then, maybe this guy's just like the rest of the 47% of Americans who "feel entitled." I don't think so... he earned it.
    First Sgt likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    One wonders... do you feel the same way about service men and women... I mean after they do their bit protecting our rights, and all... what thanks are due? You did it, it's over... thanks and all that... now, go get a job, would ya?

I don't like all cops... don't get me wrong... Prolly don't like all firemen either. But, those that choose to do the work, have (and/or at the very least, been willing to) sacrificed their well being for mine. I respect that. I don't like that retired LEOs can carry a gun in places and states we cannot.

But, at least they can. And enough of "serve and protect" over a career might just rub off enough on them that they actually save an innocent who would not be saved because they were not allowed to be armed when the retired LEO was.

But then, maybe this guy's just like the rest of the 47% of Americans who "feel entitled." I don't think so... he earned it.
    You realize how insane that bolded statement was/is, right? How it does include veterans, people in the military, the elderly, anyone collecting social security/medicare/whatever? It's just a really, really dumb statement to make.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links