Voting records on conceal carry reciprocity

This is a discussion on Voting records on conceal carry reciprocity within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While studying up on my vote I came across this HR 822*-*Requiring State Reciprocity for Carrying Concealed Firearms*-*Voting Record HR 822 Requiring State Reciprocity for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Voting records on conceal carry reciprocity

While studying up on my vote I came across this

HR 822*-*Requiring State Reciprocity for Carrying Concealed Firearms*-*Voting Record

HR 822 Requiring State Reciprocity for Carrying Concealed Firearms - Voting Record - Project Vote Smart

Just so you know how your reps are voting. I noticed that this was not a vote on party lines, a R from GA voted against it for example.

This was also a learning experience for me. I did not know (though should have known) there is not one Republican in MA, and all their reps voted against.

Hope everyone is doing their homework!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackheart6 View Post
    While studying up on my vote I came across this

HR 822*-*Requiring State Reciprocity for Carrying Concealed Firearms*-*Voting Record

HR 822 Requiring State Reciprocity for Carrying Concealed Firearms - Voting Record - Project Vote Smart

Just so you know how your reps are voting. I noticed that this was not a vote on party lines, a R from GA voted against it for example.

This was also a learning experience for me. I did not know (though should have known) there is not one Republican in MA, and all their reps voted against.

Hope everyone is doing their homework!
    Scott Brown is a Republican MA Senator, apparently didn't even vote. Here's why:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1434798.html

"The hold does not eliminate the possibility of passing the bills through regular order, with 60-vote requirements to start and end debate. But it's unclear whether enough support actually exists in the Senate. Sen. Scott Brown (R-Mass.), for instance, has said he would oppose the first bill, which cleared the House of Representatives in November with 43 Democrats supporting it and only seven Republicans voting against it."

Weird, Scott Brown not listed. Although it seems as though that did not have a vote (D.C., Guam) were listed as NA.

Interesting. Thanks for the link!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Weird, Scott Brown not listed. Although it seems as though that did not have a vote (D.C., Guam) were listed as NA.
    He's against it, and like another Republican is still supported by the NRA.

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...izabeth-warren

Bloomberg supports the NRA candidate, Scott Brown who isn't very pro gun.

Makes sense huh?! This is why I am not an NRA fan, they've gone off the deep end.

I don't vote by the NRA, though I give thought to why they recommend certain candidates that seem to have conflicts with other issues I am concerned with. They got me looking at the MO Attorney General race, and after a review I'm going with the Libertarian candidate (not the NRA recommendation).

The list posted were house reps not senators. Hence Scott Brown wasn't listed. HR822, house resolution 822.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Um, back to Civics 101. The vote was in the US House of Representatives, and Scott Brown is a Senator.

However, to your earlier point, all 10 Representatives from MA are of the Democrat party.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

My brain and my fingers are apparently not connected. Made the connection but not the correction. I guess my wife should now expect me read minds or be extremely interpretive!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Yeah, I can come up with a hundred reasons why someone supported by the NRA would oppose the bill. I oppose the bill pretty strongly. If we let the feds get involved in any way with the permit process they will chip away until they control it. Then it is simply a vote in congress to kill legal carry nationwide. Thanks, but I'll let the 10th amendment work on this one and keep it at the state level.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Yeah, I can come up with a hundred reasons why someone supported by the NRA would oppose the bill. I oppose the bill pretty strongly. If we let the feds get involved in any way with the permit process they will chip away until they control it. Then it is simply a vote in congress to kill legal carry nationwide. Thanks, but I'll let the 10th amendment work on this one and keep it at the state level.
    Well that means no one shot reciprocity law and instead a weird mish mash of it. Not exactly how that law would allow the Feds to strip gun rights.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    Well that means no one shot reciprocity law and instead a weird mish mash of it. Not exactly how that law would allow the Feds to strip gun rights.
    By forcing states with no/or tighter CCW laws to comply with fed laws, this would in turn signify CCW is a national controlled right , not just individual states right to choose CCW laws. If feds then change CCW to stricter/no carry we could indeed lose our rights on this issue.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have mixed emotions on this issue. I'm pro 2A, but a firm believer in requiring training and performance-based (practical & written) licensing for CC and OC. I agree that everyone has the right to have a weapon, but I feel they need to have demonstrated that they know what they're doing before they are allowed to be armed in public.

There are states that are "constitutional carry" and others that do not require training to get a CC. That means that some percentage of them have had no training and are basically "rebels without a clue."

Before y'all start lambasting me: My business gets 40%+ of its income from interstate travelers, I CC every day, and North Carolina honors CC permits from every state that issues them. I've had women, that while going through their purse, dropped their unholstered pistols onto the counter and on the floor. So, I think I might have a unique perspective on what the national recriprocity act looks like.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

GH
    I noticed that both Tammy Baldwin (D WI) & Gwen Moore (D WI) were the only ones voting against it from WI. Baldwin is running for a US Senate seat & Moore is running for her present seat in Congress. Both are radical liberals & both have good candidates running against them. We can only hope.

By the way - Baldwin also voted to withhold body armor & supplies to our troops in Afghanistan at least twice. Now that she's running for a Senate seat she voted for it. She also tried for a complete government takeover of health care.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Rather than a Federal law dictating the whats, whys and hows of firearm licensing, what is really needed is a 50-state agreement, similar to the Interstate Driver License Compact. The individual states retain their own regulations for issuance and penalties for violations, but the permit or license is recognized in all 50 states. Putting the Feds in charge of it is putting all the eggs in one questionably-managed basket... next thing you know, we'd have a "CCW Czar" that's a political appointee running the show.

Of course, one could argue against a need for licensing at all, but given that CCWs exist in most states, I think the "compact" approach has a lot of merit.
    Echo_Four likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links