Kimber Super Carry Ultra HD vs SA Micro Compact vs Kimber Ultra CDP II - Page 2

Kimber Super Carry Ultra HD vs SA Micro Compact vs Kimber Ultra CDP II

This is a discussion on Kimber Super Carry Ultra HD vs SA Micro Compact vs Kimber Ultra CDP II within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have the SA Micro .45 ACP and is one of my favorite EDC guns. Fits my hand extremely well, comfortable to shoot, very accurate ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Kimber Super Carry Ultra HD vs SA Micro Compact vs Kimber Ultra CDP II

I have the SA Micro .45 ACP and is one of my favorite EDC guns. Fits my hand extremely well, comfortable to shoot, very accurate (at 25 yds and less) and easy to carry. I have probably 700-800 rounds through mine and haven't had any significant problems. As long as I keep it clean and oiled, it functions very well and reliably.

SA warranty and customer service is excellent, too.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

The Super carry feels great in the hand, although I am not sure about the added weight of the steel frame. That would cut down on recoil as well. Either Kimber gets my vote.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Fear of MIM parts is over-rated. Ever notice the stories of MIM parts failing is always some guy who knew this other guy whose fathers sisters mothers second cousins former roomate had a sear malfunction?

You said it yourself, your GOVT Kimber is working fine, my Pro Carry 2 is working flawless too, MIM parts and plastic MSH and all. The Kimber CDP's are hard to beat.
    Yep. I have thousands of rounds through the full size, and almost a thousand through the Ultra, all without a single hiccup, and no broken parts. Neither one of them needed a "break-in period." I just went to the range and shot whatever types of ammunition I wanted to shoot, including some rather large-mouthed hollow points. I have also not had any issues with any of my Glocks, which I only recently found out uses some MIM parts as well. I began this process being somewhat leery of MIM parts, but I am now confident in their strength and durability.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxon06 View Post
    I carry the Ultra CDP II every day. Shoot it regular and have never had a feeding problem prior to the 500 rd breaking. In fact, I'm on a current cleaning pause to see how many rounds until the first failure. I'm up to 700. Tomorrow's a shooting day and IDPA practice, so we'll see. :)

I changed the grips to Aluma grips (slip) and it shoots outstanding at the common incident range.
    Let us know how far it gets. I am definitely interested, but I don't want to be the one doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    IMHO, I will NOT carry a 1911 variant with less than a 4" slide. I had a Springer Loaded Micro Compact. Nothing in the WORLD wrong with it. Fine gun. Yet I was educated by some wise 1911 gurus that the Seecamp dual captured recoil spring system (all 3"-3.5" 1911s use a "version" of it) had some inherent reliability issues, didn't last over 500 rounds & was expensive to replace. So it's Commander length slide or longer for me. The CCO style (Officer's frame/Commander slide) seems, to me, ideal for carry. (*But it's just my opinion & NOT to be confused as gospel.)
    Don't know how expensive it would be to replace, but I have almost 1000 rounds through my Ultra CDP and everything is still intact. I'll keep an eye on it and let you all know if it does eventually break.

advice needed

I just bought a Kimber Ultra CDP 2 and paid a lot for it. It has the night sites, crimson trace, etc... I want to get spare mags for it and I have no clue what to get. I've heard the "officer" type is what I need. Please advise, thanks.

Kimber.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by theriot617 View Post
    I just bought a Kimber Ultra CDP 2 and paid a lot for it. It has the night sites, crimson trace, etc... I want to get spare mags for it and I have no clue what to get. I've heard the "officer" type is what I need. Please advise, thanks.

Kimber.jpg
    You will probably get several different recommendations. I use Shooting Star mags in mine and have had no issues.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Yes, of the three i have a Kimber Pro Raptor, accurate, reliable & fun to shoot........that is after i had the right side ambi saftey removed & replaced because it would come unlocked inexplicably, and after the hammer broke in half i replaced it & all crap MIM fire control parts with Ed Brown Hardcore parts.

The frame looks like a casting which is not near as strong as a forged frame. So just how long the darn thing will last has me curious.
    I also had the Ed Brown Bobtail installed. Right now this Kimber is one of my favorite carry guns,but man I spent a lot of time & money to get it to run!

Not trying to pick on Kimber, seems like everyone is marketing a 1911 right now & to keep the price in the "almost affordable" range a lot of manufactures have gone MIM parts. They are crap! They don't hold up! I had a Sig 1911 that kept cracking barrel bushings MIM. Sold it.

If I were looking for a 1911 I would look for an Colt new or used.

I own both a Colt series '70 & '80 both bought new both over 30 years old & NO ISSUES just clean 'em change the recoil spring & shoot 'em.

When I read the thread title I thought it was a joke. Turns out these are actually the model names for Kimber. I'd go with the SA just based on name choice.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by theriot617 View Post

Kimber.jpg
    The same as the mags that came with it. Compact 7 rounds. I have and use three brands - Kimber, Tripp Research and Wilson Combat. All have worked flawless, but I lean more toward the Wilson Combat (47,OX), but rotate the brands after each shoot.
    In Absentia Luci Tenebrae Vincu

There is a line between good and evil, no wider than a razor's edge.
    I hold the line.
    I am the line.

Do you think the Glock trigger is safer to carry than the 1911 with a slide and grip safety?

Quote Originally Posted by Smarshe View Post
    Do you think the Glock trigger is safer to carry than the 1911 with a slide and grip safety?
    "Safe" depends on you, the carrier. I've owned a Glock 27 and now a Kimber and was/am comfortable with either. And as safe with one as the other.
    In Absentia Luci Tenebrae Vincu

There is a line between good and evil, no wider than a razor's edge.
    I hold the line.
    I am the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxon06 View Post
    "Safe" depends on you, the carrier. I've owned a Glock 27 and now a Kimber and was/am comfortable with either. And as safe with one as the other.
    You got that right! The best gun safety ever invented is between your ears.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links