Kimber Super Carry Ultra HD vs SA Micro Compact vs Kimber Ultra CDP II

This is a discussion on Kimber Super Carry Ultra HD vs SA Micro Compact vs Kimber Ultra CDP II within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, let's say I am looking to purchase a micro 1911. I've narrowed it down to the three listed in the title. I have a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Kimber Super Carry Ultra HD vs SA Micro Compact vs Kimber Ultra CDP II

Kimber Super Carry Ultra HD vs SA Micro Compact vs Kimber Ultra CDP II

Okay, let's say I am looking to purchase a micro 1911. I've narrowed it down to the three listed in the title. I have a Gov't Kimber that I love, but I know SA has quality products as well. Plus, I'm hearing about MIM issues on the Kimbers.
    So, I'm hoping someone out there has owned/carried at least two of the three.
    Anyone offer any feedback and recommendation on which they prefer?

2. Remove Ads

Bueller? Ferris? Bueller? Anyone?

The only one of the three you mentioned that I have shot is the Ultra CDP. I also own a Gov't sized Kimber, which has performed flawlessly. I have shot thousands of rounds through the full sized, and many hundreds of rounds through the Ultra CDP with no problems whatsoever. I too have had concerns about MIM parts, in the Kimbers as well as new Glocks that are coming out of the factory. I have come to the point of being at peace with MIM parts. I have had no problems, and nobody that I personally know has had problems. So, buy whichever one you like the best.

Thanks, SF. Ever had a chance to shoot the SA micro? My local dealer doesn't have one to rent for me to try out.

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    Thanks, SF. Ever had a chance to shoot the SA micro? My local dealer doesn't have one to rent for me to try out.
    No, I haven't had the pleasure, but I have heard from owners that it is a good solid performer. Be aware that with any sub-compact 1911 there is a possibility of feeding problems due to the steep angle of the feed ramp. My Ultra CDP hasn't had any feeding issues but that is always a potential issue. It comes down to each individual specimen rather than make or model.

Fear of MIM parts is over-rated. Ever notice the stories of MIM parts failing is always some guy who knew this other guy whose fathers sisters mothers second cousins former roomate had a sear malfunction?

You said it yourself, your GOVT Kimber is working fine, my Pro Carry 2 is working flawless too, MIM parts and plastic MSH and all. The Kimber CDP's are hard to beat.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

One thing I did notice between the two was that the Kimber's grips were about 1/4 wider than the SA.
    Honestly, I'm just going to have to find some place to rent both to see how they fit. With my great experience with my Kimber, I do tend to lean towards keeping it in the family.

I carry the Ultra CDP II every day. Shoot it regular and have never had a feeding problem prior to the 500 rd breaking. In fact, I'm on a current cleaning pause to see how many rounds until the first failure. I'm up to 700. Tomorrow's a shooting day and IDPA practice, so we'll see. :)

I changed the grips to Aluma grips (slip) and it shoots outstanding at the common incident range.
    tecumseh likes this.
    In Absentia Luci Tenebrae Vincu

There is a line between good and evil, no wider than a razor's edge.
    I hold the line.
    I am the line.

I personally haven't shot the SA micro, but I have had my paws on one when I was looking to buy a sawed off 1911. I can tell you this much about it. I couldn't stand the feel of the SA micro. The grip is much too small for me to feel right holding it, much less shooting it. I settled on the Crismon Ultra II because it just felt right in my hand, and I couldn't be happier. It has proven itself to be very reliable thus far, even with the stock mag. It shoots like a dream and the laser grips are just gravy. I'm sure the SA micro is a fine weapon, but if it doesn't feel right in my hand, I don't want it. FYI, I have very large hands, and the baby Kimbers all allow me to get a full grip on the gun. Now that the days of the pocket pistol are here, I know that isn't important to some, but it makes a big difference to me. On a side note, I bet if you got an extended mag with a butt peice on it, you might get a better grip on the SA. Just sayin...

Hat's off to you Jax. You're braver than I am on that. Not that I'm afraid of damaging the Kimber, just that I don't want to spend the 3 hours it'll take to finally clean that sucker!

I have the Kimber Super Carry Ultra+ It's a beautiful gun and shoots flawlessly. I've never had a single problem. With that said I stoped carrying it and went to the G23 and a G27 I couldn't get comfortable carrying with one in the pipe on the Kimber because of the trigger ... it's lite. Now some or lots of guys would disagree and thats okay, we all have to do whats feels right and responsible within our comfort level ..... I do love the gun, just not for EDC.

tecumseh likes this.
    My EDC G27 gen. 4
    Favorite range gun G23 gen. 3

NRA Life Member

You ever decide you want to give that away for a tax deduction,you just let me know!
    HardBall likes this.

You ever decide you want to give that away for a tax deduction,you just let me know!
    HaHa .... yeah, some guns you just don't part with. This is one of four that are on that list.
    My EDC G27 gen. 4
    Favorite range gun G23 gen. 3

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by HardBall View Post
    HaHa .... yeah, some guns you just don't part with. This is one of four that are on that list.
    Every gun I own is on that list.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

IMHO, I will NOT carry a 1911 variant with less than a 4" slide. I had a Springer Loaded Micro Compact. Nothing in the WORLD wrong with it. Fine gun. Yet I was educated by some wise 1911 gurus that the Seecamp dual captured recoil spring system (all 3"-3.5" 1911s use a "version" of it) had some inherent reliability issues, didn't last over 500 rounds & was expensive to replace. So it's Commander length slide or longer for me. The CCO style (Officer's frame/Commander slide) seems, to me, ideal for carry. (*But it's just my opinion & NOT to be confused as gospel.)
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links