Took my carry class yesterday + mother-in-law disapproves - Page 2

Took my carry class yesterday + mother-in-law disapproves

This is a discussion on Took my carry class yesterday + mother-in-law disapproves within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 I said, "A lot of them don't apply to them because he's not carrying. But I'm going to be sure to ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Took my carry class yesterday + mother-in-law disapproves

Quote Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 View Post
    I said, "A lot of them don't apply to them because he's not carrying. But I'm going to be sure to go over the Castle Doctrine laws with him."

(She said,) "What's a Castle Doctrine?"
    Regarding your MIL's ignorance about "castle" protections of upstanding citizens ...

Quite simply, it's laws put in place to recognize that a person has every right to defend onself, and every right not to be treated as a criminal and pariah merely for being the one left standing at a place he/she has every right to be. Quite sensible, right and just, actually. NOBODY should be deemed a criminal merely for stopping one, or merely because it took weaponry to stop one, or even that the felon took a "death first" position on the matter of attempting to take your life and the lives of your loved ones. You're still standing ... and you have every right to be, anytime you're at a place you have every right to be. IMO, that is the crux of "castle" laws.

Hopefully she'll see the undeniable sense and justice in this, at some point.

I'm sure you do, already.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; November 4th, 2012 at 04:03 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

@dirtrulz: My boyfriend is fine with it, which I know is the most important thing. But I also think that's why he tends to tell people. Even though I've asked him not to talk about it, I think he forgets. He's just used to it now and doesn't see the big deal: he responded to his family wanting to know where I was, "Oh, she's at her carry class." I generally don't think he has to hide it, per se, but there are some people that I wish he hadn't told, so I'll have to remind him to keep it on the down-low.

@9MMare: Luckily my boyfriend has only mentioned it to family and close friends; I have the same problem as you mentioned with my mom. She is the biggest loudmouth you would ever meet! She thinks it's cool, and wants to tell everyone and their dog about it. We were in California (around very anti-gun people) and she was blabbing to EVERYONE about how soon I'll be "packin' heat" (which visibly made them uncomfortable), and I had to take her aside and tell her that I don't want her telling people. And then she got drunk later and told more people, that we didn't even know that well. *sigh* "But so-and-so is a cop, you know he's fine with it!!" I don't care who SHE is comfortable telling, it's MY business! Ughhh. God, some people can't keep their damn mouths shut. I can feel my blood pressure rising just thinking about that trip.

@ccw9mm: I know what the Castle Doctrine is. I was just saying that that was her response, and I was trying to illustrate her naivete with gun laws in general, which likely adds to her discomfort towards the whole thing.

@Jon: I've been in Missouri my whole life, so hopefully it will be a very short turnaround!
    Proud owner of a Sig Sauer P238 SAS Explosive Space Modulator.

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

Cheers Lara and congrats on your journey to get your permit. Let us know when you hit a MO Wally World :-)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 View Post
    @ccw9mm: I know what the Castle Doctrine is. I was just saying that that was her response, and I was trying to illustrate her naivete with gun laws in general, which likely adds to her discomfort towards the whole thing.
    Yes, I saw. I figured that offering up another way of explaining it might help, during some of those upcoming discussions with her that you've got in your future. Good luck, with those.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Yes, I saw. I figured that offering up another way of explaining it might help, during some of those upcoming discussions with her that you've got in your future. Good luck, with those.
    Oh, gotcha. Thanks.
    Proud owner of a Sig Sauer P238 SAS Explosive Space Modulator.

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    It's sad to see how the language has been distorted... a "liberal" point of view once upon a time meant "open-minded."
    Liberals are liberal and open minded for the things they want. The difference is that instead of disagreeing with you and letting it go, they try and legislate your rights away.

Ted Nugent is very controversial to some, and yet makes all too much sense.

Here is a great video, also where my sig tag line came from.

As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Congrats ...... keep determined. Good choice in the Sig. Sounds like you are definitely going about things in the right way. Good for you.

M_I_L issue ; well, that's a control issue on her part. And, it appears she has some issues / opinions on what a female should or shouldn't do ... blah blah blah. Stick to your guns. MIL seems out of touch a bit with the real world. She more than likely either 1) come around, or 2) her son will have to tell her it's none of her business and to shut up, for her to get the point.

My MIL .... started right in on me about day 3 of them finding out we were engaged. I drew the line in the sand rather quickly...... she was the major Domineering member of that family.... and they all hated it too. I told her rather quickly. don't ever presume you can tell me what to do or not to do, I don't need a mother and haven't needed a parent of any kind (including mine) to tell me what I needed to do , or should or shouldn't do, for a long time...... so, don't go there and we won't have a problem. ... as I don't need your permission nor approval for anything I do.

The immediate family, as well as the extended family (Uncles, Aunts, etc) .... all applauded me for doing it.

You are in a different situation, so .... I would keep it as cool and smooth as you can.... sounds like you are doing an excellent job and letting her know where the boundaries are as well. In the long run, it sounds like you may have a chance of converting her and changing her mind. Have her son (your bf) work on taking Mom to the range some time.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I have a somewhat unique viewpoint on this one. My wife was born and raised in the Netherlands, and her family still lives there. No one there can own firearms outside of the government, nor are civillian firearms common either. When we were first married she was completly opposed to firearms but had to reconcile the that fact they since they were part of my life they would be part of hers as well. After a couple of years I was able to to get her to go shooting with me and one of our best friends. She had a chance to fire off a few different handguns and the one she like the best that day was a 6 inch barrel S&W model 28 Highway Patrolman 357.Magnum. Since then she now has her own weapon, a snub 6 shot 357.Magnum revolver. The state of IL when it comes to firearms ownership is the American equal to a liberal western european country though. I am sure other liberal states are not far behind it though.

The "liberal" moniker is wrt other people's rights, money, etc; not open mindedness.

Lara: Do a search for clayton cramer and his website devoted to citizens protecting themselves with guns, and JPFO and "Dial 911 and Die'

Don't you just love it when you do something your mother-in-law disapproves. It feels so... liberating! Gives you warm fuzzies on a primal level.

Good job! I'm glad you had a good time in your CCW class. Congrats!

smolck and Chaplain Scott like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

You have shown good judgment and poise thus far and more importantly, you have made a wise choice in accepting responsibility for your own safety.

I would not do this but I do confess to having fantasies about it: Getting a stencil made for the foreheads of various anti-gun folks and offering to apply the label with "VICTIM."
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

VIP Member
    Congratulations. The next several days of waiting are going to seem like years.

Good luck with the MIL there are no magic words that will make her change her mind.

I wouldn't bring up the topic for discussion, let her do that if she wants.

If she does, play the scenario game with her..."paint" scenarios where she has a choice to either protect herself/her loved ones with a weapon or to let them die/get injured because a weapon is not immediately available.

Start off the scenario by saying something like, Let's just say for the sake of this scenario that we live in a society where criminals viciously attack innocent people like you and I, and these criminals don't care if we get hurt and these criminals might even prefer to make sure that their innocent victims die so that we cannot tell anyone that they committed a criminal act against us. I know it might be hard to believe that such a society could exist but humor me for a few minutes and let's pretend that you live in this society and you are...
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Took my carry class yesterday + mother-in-law disapproves

Do what you feel like the right thing is for you. Life's too short to worry about what other think about your choices.

P.S..... You sure you want to marry into that family?

Congratulations on the class. In regard to the gun choices the instructor mentioned, remember, he has to appeal to the lowest denominator.

As for the b-friend, establish some ground rules with him. Let him know by blabbing to his family, after you asked him not to, violates your trust and puts you in an awkward position when you visit his family.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Get her to go to the range with you and borrow a 22LR for her to shoot. I've gotten more than one person to understand gun ownership more. Not necessarily be pro ownership, but far less apprehensive.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links