Took my carry class yesterday + mother-in-law disapproves - Page 6

Took my carry class yesterday + mother-in-law disapproves

This is a discussion on Took my carry class yesterday + mother-in-law disapproves within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 I guess he just doesn't feel he needs to. It's never really crossed his mind. I only decided I want to ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Took my carry class yesterday + mother-in-law disapproves

Quote Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 View Post
    I guess he just doesn't feel he needs to. It's never really crossed his mind. I only decided I want to do this just over a month ago (geez, has it only been a month??), so maybe with time he'll decide he wants to, too, but I have a feeling it would take getting into a scary situation to make him realize it would be useful.

@smolck: I'll take the gun-lecturing. She sounds like a real peach!
    Unfortunately, too many times, that first scary situation he encounters is one he doesn't survive.

It only hurts the ones he leaves behind, because he'll never know what happened.

So, if you put it to him like that... maybe he'll understand the huge hole he'll leave in your heart that can't be filled if he gets himself killed because he didn't have the means to fight back.

I've known a couple people who have lost a loved one to violent crime. They seem to be completely lost in life without their loved one and are an empty shell. They have no more direction or compass. Very sad.

It seems to be a different kind of loss than one who loses a loved one due to an illness or even a sudden accident. To lose someone from violent crime just seems to be senseless and that's a huge difference.

Of course, the longer you have invested in that relationship, the bigger the loss. Young couples who don't have a lot of time invested in their relationship doesn't seem to have quite as strong an effect as say, someone who's been married to the same person for the last 15 years. And of course young people all seem to think they are invincible and don't think much in long terms.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Unfortunately, too many times, that first scary situation he encounters is one he doesn't survive.

It only hurts the ones he leaves behind, because he'll never know what happened.

So, if you put it to him like that... maybe he'll understand the huge hole he'll leave in your heart that can't be filled if he gets himself killed because he didn't have the means to fight back.

I've known a couple people who have lost a loved one to violent crime. They seem to be completely lost in life without their loved one and are an empty shell. They have no more direction or compass. Very sad.

It seems to be a different kind of loss than one who loses a loved one due to an illness or even a sudden accident. To lose someone from violent crime just seems to be senseless and that's a huge difference.

Of course, the longer you have invested in that relationship, the bigger the loss. Young couples who don't have a lot of time invested in their relationship doesn't seem to have quite as strong an effect as say, someone who's been married to the same person for the last 15 years. And of course young people all seem to think they are invincible and don't think much in long terms.
    Oh, don't underestimate the hypothetical devastation - he is my heart and soul. Honestly, I could see him thinking, "Well, if I get shot and killed in a robbery, it was my time to go" (he's just kind of like that) but if I put it to him the way you word it, I'm sure he'd think more seriously about it. But, like I said, this is all very new to us; believe it or not, his initial reaction was akin to his mother's - a knee-jerk "no" reaction out of fear and ignorance - so he's come a long way in his unwavering support of my decision (even though I still think he's a little uncomfortable with it). I want to give it time, let him live with having a loaded gun around us for a little while, before I broach the subject of him doing it, too.
    Bark'n likes this.
    Proud owner of a Sig Sauer P238 SAS Explosive Space Modulator.

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout

Took my carry class yesterday + mother-in-law disapproves

Good for you getting the ball rolling on your CCL. Sorry to hear your MIL is a blithering idiot. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by lindy1933 View Post
    you will never change her mind until it affects her directly. Hopefully, it doesn't cost her her life to gain enlightenment.
    Some people never get it,,,,,, all you can do for them is PRAY ,,,,, they never need it.

Quote Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 View Post
    Oh, don't underestimate the hypothetical devastation - he is my heart and soul. Honestly, I could see him thinking, "Well, if I get shot and killed in a robbery, it was my time to go" (he's just kind of like that) but if I put it to him the way you word it, I'm sure he'd think more seriously about it. But, like I said, this is all very new to us; believe it or not, his initial reaction was akin to his mother's - a knee-jerk "no" reaction out of fear and ignorance - so he's come a long way in his unwavering support of my decision (even though I still think he's a little uncomfortable with it). I want to give it time, let him live with having a loaded gun around us for a little while, before I broach the subject of him doing it, too.
    You are just starting your journey together. Many things will change over the yrs.

Heartfelt wishes that they are all positive!
    LaraCroft10 likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Hey Lara: Instead of trying to discuss it rationally, you could "accidently" talk to your BF, (where MIL can overhear) about going to open carry, and how nice that alligator hide holster and gun belt would look, or would the ostrich leather look better. Then you could talk about whenever the wedding day comes, how you will get that white leather holster and belt that you were looking at to go with the wedding dress, and how your Bridesmaids will all be carrying those evil looking black assualt weapons, with white slings of course.

I know it wouldn't really work, but its really fun to fantasize about the potential reaction isn't it

That noise you just heard was your MIL passing out in shock

OK, I know I've been bad I'll be nice now
    LaraCroft10 likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links