Going to AZ.

This is a discussion on Going to AZ. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We're planning a trip to AZ in January. PHX area mostly with a side trip to Tucson. I've read all the info on Handgunlaw.us... I've ...

Thread: Going to AZ.

Going to AZ.

We're planning a trip to AZ in January.
    PHX area mostly with a side trip to Tucson.
    I've read all the info on Handgunlaw.us...
    I've even read the great post by some guy on traveling with firearms on common carriers.

I'm prepared for the travel experience, though I won't have anything but my COM safe to house my firearm in checked baggage... (wish that weren't the case... but it is).

Since I have a permit in my home state, I understand that I am able to carry in establishments that serve liquor (though for me it would only be an afterthought anyway, I rarely drink. But many good restaurants serve).

I'm interested in knowing if most places are NOT posted... or if they are. So, I need some local inputs. Just generalizations...

Most places don't post.
    OR
    Most places do.

those that do are pretty good at making signage visible, etc.

Thanks for your input...

Anything else I need to be aware of?
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

2. Remove Ads

I was in Phoenix/Scottsdale last year. Nearly all of the bars were posted. signs prominently displaced. Not so many of the restaurants with bars. Perhaps I was just in the wrong locations of town.

Going to AZ.

Most places here are NOT posted, many that are do not use the proper signage, often code for lawfully permited concealed carriers welcome here. Arizona is a great place for law abiding citizens to exercise their 2nd amendment rights in aresponsible manner. Enjoy your trip. Be sure to visit the Sonora Desert Museum while you are in Tucson, its a great place, not sure if it is posted though. Tucson is about the least friendly gun city in the state, lots of libtards, especially the Pima County sheriff, Dupnik.

Sent from my iPad

VIP Member
    Man I just came back from AZ last week. Sets the record for bars on windows! Fantastic weather this time of year though. It was about 90 everyday.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I spend a lot of time in Gold Canyon east of Phoenix. Most places are not posted, and open carry is not at all uncommon. After a Halloween party last month, my wife and I stopped at the grocery store to pick up some stuff on the way home. Both of us were wearing gunbelts with holsters and guns. I was also wearing a bandolier of bullets. The cashier never gave us a second look. It's a great area to enjoy handguns and exercise your 2A rights.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I lived in Az for over 15yrs just left there this last Sept, its very gun friendly but best to have a good concelment holster.and stay alert after hours in Phoenix. There is alot of tension what with SB 1070 still working out the kinks. There are a lot of great places to see and great food to eat but do not go off the beaten path and keep your wallet in your front pocket. I you decide to hike one of the tails around the area make sure you put you stuff in the trunk before you get to the trail head and for heaven sake drink lots of water. Now go have fun

Gorgeous time of year out here now, which makes up for the insufferable heat of summer.

In the ritzier districts like Scottsdale and the Broadmoor/Camelback area in Phoenix you'll see the gun-buster signs frequently, as well as at a lot of touristy places like Tortilla Flats. You seem to be aware that the only "official" signage refers to places that sell alcohol for on-premises consumption. Other than that, the malls generally have a tiny "no weapons" sign posted in low-contrast colors close to the bottom of the entrance doors, as if purposely trying not to have anyone see them. But overall, it's a gun-friendly state. My personal belief is that you'd be best off carrying concealed.

BTW, note the previous post about Tucson and Pima County - most definitely not a gun-friendly area, but if you keep a low profile you'll be fine.

The good folks over at Wilderness Tactical publish a guide to 2nd Amendment-friendly eating establishments in the area: CCW-friendly AZ Dining Guide: Tactical Gear, Tactical Equipment, Duty Belts, Slings, USA
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I'm good with all the above info but, when traveling on the highway is it possible that I would be carrying illegal on a Indian reservation? Can I drive on a Reservation by accident or are they marked and I could avoid them or put my firearm away while passing through? How do the locals handle this?

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    DO NOT TAKE A WEAPON ON TO THE REZ, I worked on a rez for 2yrs if you go onto a rez have weapon in 1 lock box and ammo in another also have in your wallet proof of ownership of weapon you have with you but they can still take the weapon and not give it back. It is like you have gone in to another country there rules are a whole lot different than the rest of the U.S.

Visited a friend in the Chandler area. I didn't see any signs while I was there. I don't drink, but went to a couple bars with my old roommate to have some wings and him a couple beers. Definitely be careful for reservations. If you stay on the main roads, you shouldn't have a problem.

It's too bad you can't bring more guns. I brought all of mine (I drove out there) and my friend that lived out there brought all his out to the desert and spent a whole day shooting stuff.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    I'm good with all the above info but, when traveling on the highway is it possible that I would be carrying illegal on a Indian reservation? Can I drive on a Reservation by accident or are they marked and I could avoid them or put my firearm away while passing through? How do the locals handle this?
    Numerous state roads cross Indian reservations. You won't have any problem with firearms if you keep them in the car. If you break down, you're OK on the shoulder as well... the main thing is, don't go off shooting recreationally on Indian land, and although what's specifically allowed varies from tribe to tribe, it's best to not enter commerical establishments on Indian properties while carrying a gun, regardless of openly or concealed.

That's how this 'local' handles it.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks for all the info..

Been most everywhere around PHX, and did Sedona more than once or twice on trips there, but I've never been to Tucson.

Planning on remaining concealed the whole time.

And thanks for the reminder about the Indian nations, I'd not considered them, but knew they were their own sovereignty.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Links