COLORADO: Permit Renewal Question.

This is a discussion on COLORADO: Permit Renewal Question. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After reading the CRS for the concealed permit 'rules', there's a provision that says you have to have taken your class at least 10 years ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wmhawth

Thread: COLORADO: Permit Renewal Question.

COLORADO: Permit Renewal Question.

After reading the CRS for the concealed permit 'rules', there's a provision that says you have to have taken your class at least 10 years prior to applying for a permit.
    Since the law for Colorado was passed back in 2003, that makes 2013 the 10 year anniversary.
    Mine's coming due in October or 2013.
    It doesn't mention anything about renewals, just the initial issuance of permit.
    Just trying to see if I need to take another class to meet the 'requirements'.
    Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

As part of the renewal process you must complete a notarized affidavit stating that you are still firearms qualified pursuant to the original requirement for firearms training.

This would mean that your training outside the time period originally required would need to be made current.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Long time reader/lurker, seldom poster.
    IANAL and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    But I was advised to renew the permit early, i.e. 6 months before the 10-year reqirement. That way you can certify that you are still firearms qualified pursuant to the original requirement for firearms training (within 10 years) without need for the training course.
    As an aside, the training is relatively cheap and easy. Nothing wrong with a refresher, IMHO.

-jb

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
    Long time reader/lurker, seldom poster.
    IANAL and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    But I was advised to renew the permit early, i.e. 6 months before the 10-year reqirement. That way you can certify that you are still firearms qualified pursuant to the original requirement for firearms training (within 10 years) without need for the training course.
    As an aside, the training is relatively cheap and easy. Nothing wrong with a refresher, IMHO.

-jb
    I'm not certain all counties are the same but in my county (Mesa), you can apply for renewal up to 120 days prior to the expiration of your current permit.

The fact is the Colorado CHPs are good for 5 years and by the time you get into your 2nd renewal, absent any additional training along the way, you are going to be outside the time frame as required originally for training and you will have to get current. There's no way around this if you continue renewing your CHP.
    Last edited by wmhawth; November 9th, 2012 at 08:40 PM.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I had my original training for the CO CSP in 2004 Nov, got the permit in 2004 Dec. Imagining going in early for renewal would be wise, I renewed in 2009 Sep. (Turned out I was in and out in 20 minutes with new permit in hand, so going early was not beneficial.) The person processing my renewal pointed out that I can renew 2014 Sep and still be within the 10-year interval from the original training. So, assuming the training will continue to be required in the future, I will not need another round of mandatory training until 2019.

I agree that more training can be helpful and have in fact have done other formal training, including a Suarez pistol course and the training specific to the Utah permit.

Note that renewing early makes your permit more expensive. Whenever you renew, the new permit extends 5 years from that date. So if you renew 6 months early twice, you are paying for 10 years but actually getting only 9 years of valid permit.

Links