POLL: Safety (on/off)? Chambered round?

This is a discussion on POLL: Safety (on/off)? Chambered round? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I HAD to carry a gun with a safety, it would be OFF, except on rare occasions...maybe when playing with my granddaughter, etc. I ...

View Poll Results: If you MUST carry a semi-auto hand gun w/a safety, how do you carry it?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Safety Off, One in the chamber

49 25.52%
  • Safety Off, Chamber empty

7 3.65%
  • Safety On, One in the chamber

135 70.31%
  • Safety On, Chamber empty

1 0.52%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: POLL: Safety (on/off)? Chambered round?

If I HAD to carry a gun with a safety, it would be OFF, except on rare occasions...maybe when playing with my granddaughter, etc.

I know the poll says "If you HAD to....", but in reality, I would never carry a gun with a safety.

A holstered gun without a safety (in a good retention holster, trigger covered, etc.) is no more likely to fire than one with the safety on--if you leave it in the holster until needed.

And of course, ALWAYS, ALWAYS one in the pipe. An unloaded gun is useless. Did I mention ALWAYS?
    Doug

Sig P229 .357/.40, G17, G19, G23, G27, Bushmaster XM-15, Ruger PC9 Carbine, Win. 1300 'Defender' 12 Ga. (among others)

"When seconds count, the police are just minutes away."

2. Remove Ads

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I can not imagine not carrying a round in the chamber and the safety on. Whether a M16, a 1911, a Glock, a Sig or any firearm used for self defense. Hunting is a different matter.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

pax
    Flicking a safety off adds absolutely zero time to the draw, if practiced. It can also be done one-handed if necessary (maybe you'll be holding a child, shoving a loved one to safety, etc. The fight might even start with your arm getting grabbed by the BG, or otherwise taken out of commission.)

Chambering a round adds a measurable amount of time, even if practiced. And it requires two hands.

So -- safety on, round chambered.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Except for a revolver my carry guns are SA. cocked and locked. Hopefully I'll never have to carry anything else. I can't think of any reason for my self to carry anything but steel. Just my choice. My son has one of those plastic things but I won't touch it.

1911, cocked and locked, need I say more?
    Keep your powder dry

I only carry Glocks with one in the chamber. That is what I am use to and with good gun handling techniques I don't worry about AD's or ND's. Civilians are not trained, as are LEO's, to turn off a safety while un-holstering for the most part. How many civilians would "forget" to turn off the safety. Most of the time you would only have seconds to react to a situation and most of us would be scared and nervous. With my Glock all I have to do is pull the trigger which I hope I never have to do.
    GeorgiaCarry.Org Member
    NRA Member

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Ok, I'm going to be unique.

My daily carry piece, a PRE-DECOCK Taurus 92, is carried with the hammer down on a live round, with the safety OFF.

However... I have found that I do NOT trust myself to thumb-decock after firing in self-defense. Too much adrenaline = the shakes, you know? So, I just flip the safety on, and it is effectively cocked'n'locked as I do in the woods.

I like the dual mode weapons and don't trust decockers not to crystalize. I only trust my thumb.

So, short answer: 99% of the time it's carried with the hammer down, safety off.

Josh <><

The safety goes off as I draw. I've done it long enough that I don't even have to think of it. The gun is ready to fire as soon as the muzzle comes level.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    One in the pipe, hammer down, and safety on. As I draw, it's very natural, and adds no time to the draw whatsoever, to run my thumb down the side of the gun, catch the safety, and squeeze the trigger.

Granted, it would have to be a really strong little centipede to crawl into my completely covered holster, and pull the DA trigger for me, but if one ever did, or if I was ever in a situation where there is a chance of the trigger getting tangled on something and yanked, I want the safety on.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    Why all the excess? If his finger wasn't on the trigger it wouldn't have been an issue. He broke one of the four gun safety rules. Yeah, if the safety was on it would have prevented it, but if he had followed the rules to begin with, it would have also prevented it.
    Yes, he broke two rules in my book, but the finger off the trigger could have negated having the safety off. I realize that. I was only using this as a bad example to get to the point being discussed in previous posts, which was training to make taking the safety off an instictive act.

In my experience I have noticed that it only tends to become a viable solution if all firearms that you train with have the same safety mechanism, in the same place. Ie. one gun has a thumb safety on the left side and another has something different or in a different location. I wondered what other's experiences or thoughts might be.

Perhaps I wasn't clear, it's not really important and I probably should not have posted it. Sometimes I tend to get long winded. I apologize if it was too confusing to follow clearly, and if so, I ask the moderators to remove it.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

If I had to carry/ safety on one in the chamber
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Biloxi Bersa View Post
    you law enforcement guys...

what's the norm in your profession?

I know most now carry semi-autos. Is it department policy or your choice about safety on/off with/without chambered round.
    My dept and the city police here carry all Glock 22's. No external safety (except the trigger finger), but always with one in the chamber.
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

Lew
    When carrying my Taurus Pt99af, I have one in the chamber and the safety on. Being it is both double and single action, the hammer is usually in the lowered position. When I put my hand on the grip, I naturally let my hand drop the safety to the "fire" position. This means the first shot would be a long trigger pull, but it is how I have practiced....
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
    The use of the word "would" was in reference to the scenario.
    I carry my Sig 226 or a Keltec P3AT and they have no external safety. In the event I did carry my Beretta 92fs it would be done with the safety off, I just don't carry it.
    I have NO fear of an AD/UD with ANYTHING I carry. My finger and Brain are my safety.

Understood
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Work View Post
    I can not imagine not carrying a round in the chamber and the safety on. Whether a M16, a 1911, a Glock, a Sig or any firearm used for self defense. Hunting is a different matter.

Jungle Work
    Well the problem with this is the fact that the glock and sig (most if not all) do NOT have an external safety. In this case would you just not carry them?

This brings up a good question,
    What is the difference between carrying, say, a Beretta 92 with the safety off and a Sig 226 that has no safety?
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links