POLL: Safety (on/off)? Chambered round?

This is a discussion on POLL: Safety (on/off)? Chambered round? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Bersa .380 and UC9 both have a safety but it is IMO superfluous - only being needed for decocking. The safety would slow things ...

View Poll Results: If you MUST carry a semi-auto hand gun w/a safety, how do you carry it?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Safety Off, One in the chamber

49 25.52%
  • Safety Off, Chamber empty

7 3.65%
  • Safety On, One in the chamber

135 70.31%
  • Safety On, Chamber empty

1 0.52%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: POLL: Safety (on/off)? Chambered round?

Assistant Administrator
    The Bersa .380 and UC9 both have a safety but it is IMO superfluous - only being needed for decocking. The safety would slow things down.

So - with my 226 which has no safety per se - nothing is any different. The ''safety'' is quite simply the need for the long (relatively) DA pull - prior to which safety blocking of FP is total.

I am unfamiliar still with Beretta's but imagine that would be comparable with my Bersa example.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Biloxi Bersa View Post
    you law enforcement guys...

what's the norm in your profession?

I know most now carry semi-autos. Is it department policy or your choice about safety on/off with/without chambered round.

Certainly y'all have much more training/range experience than the Joe Lunchbox.
    I don't know of any LE agency that would carry without a round in the chamber. Obviously, many LE agencies, mine included, use weapons without manual safeties.

For those that I see carrying Berettas, et al (and giving me headaches thinking about my old M9 in the Marines), the safety is generally on. Maybe it's my old military training, but if a handgun has a manual safety, it's on. (P95, the Beretta has a horribly heavy initial DA pull...but still has a manual safety which rotates a block in front of the firing pin, and de-cocks the weapon as it's engaged.)

Practicing keeping such a weapon on 'safe' time builds up the muscle memory to ensure you de-cock the pistol. If you're not used to flicking that safetly lever down each time you holster, you stand a good chance of holstering a cocked weapon under stress.

I can also think of a lot of 'liability'-type legal-think which would push agencies to mandate that safeties are on until the weapon is being presented.

Then again, we carry Remington 870s without a round in the chamber, safety off, with the weapon de-cocked (pull trigger prior to loading) so we can just pump a round in and go...it's quicker than working the un-ergonomic button safety.

AX

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Yes, he broke two rules in my book, but the finger off the trigger could have negated having the safety off. I realize that. I was only using this as a bad example to get to the point being discussed in previous posts, which was training to make taking the safety off an instictive act.

In my experience I have noticed that it only tends to become a viable solution if all firearms that you train with have the same safety mechanism, in the same place. Ie. one gun has a thumb safety on the left side and another has something different or in a different location. I wondered what other's experiences or thoughts might be.

Perhaps I wasn't clear, it's not really important and I probably should not have posted it. Sometimes I tend to get long winded. I apologize if it was too confusing to follow clearly, and if so, I ask the moderators to remove it.
    I didn't mean any offense, just sometimes it seems to me that some folks put too much stock in their mechanical safety and not enough stock in their finger safety.

There are guys that I won't hunt with anymore because of that reason and I'm sure you feel the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I am unfamiliar still with Beretta's but imagine that would be comparable with my Bersa example.
    Beretta's are very much the same as the Bersa in that respect. In fact, there's a mod you can do to the Px4 to make the safety a decocker only.

Because it was not specified in the original poll question, I would like to clarify my answer.

For S/A - Chambered with Safety On.

Traditional Double Action - Chambered with the Safety Off.

As for the carrying without a round chambered, all I will say is that unless you have some very high level training and a extreme amount of regular practice, I would be very comfortable in saying that you would likely be either dead or seriously injured before you are able to draw, chamber, re-stablish your grip, alighn your sights and engage the hostile target.

Be Safe

Bryan S. Williams
    Williams Associates Protective Services, LLC
    www.wa-protective.com
    www.wttrw.com

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    Polar Bear's
    Well the problem with this is the fact that the glock and sig (most if not all) do NOT have an external safety. In this case would you just not carry them? This brings up a good question,
    What is the difference between carrying, say, a Beretta 92 with the safety off and a Sig 226 that has no safety?
    PB, I'm sure by now that you have realized that you made a mistake about the about the Glock and Sig. They always have a safety "on" until you pull the trigger. I've carried Glocks and Sigs on and off duty.
    Their safties were always on until I gripped the firearm and pulled the trigger, then the internal safety disengaged and the pistol fired. Simple and Safe.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

I prefer one in the chamber with the safety off. I want my gun ready to go when needed. I see no reason to have the safety on. My gun is kept in a quality holster and I treat it like its chambered and safety off at all times anyway.

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    What a lot of folks don't understand is that a lot of pistols, 1911s, Glock, Sig, etc. have safties that are automatically "on" unless you pull the trigger or push in on the grip safety. You have a safety on if your not pulling your trigger on your "Safe Action Trigger" or on the trigger that pushes the firing pin block safety out of the way so the firing pin can strike the primer. So when folks say they don't have the safety on or the gun does not have a safety, they don't know what they speak of. What they are thinking of is a manual safety, such as on Browning HP, 1911 or a Taurus 92. But many pistols have internal safeties that are always "on" until you pull the trigger.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Work View Post
    Polar Bear's

PB, I'm sure by now that you have realized that you made a mistake about the about the Glock and Sig. They always have a safety "on" until you pull the trigger. I've carried Glocks and Sigs on and off duty.
    Their safties were always on until I gripped the firearm and pulled the trigger, then the internal safety disengaged and the pistol fired. Simple and Safe.

Jungle Work
    This thread is about the EXTERNAL SAFETY that can be engaged and disengaged.
    It is my understanding that my Beretta 92fs with the safety off is in the same "condition" as my Sig 226 that has no external safety. If this is not the case, please let me know AND provide a like to where you get your information.
    Thanks
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

Safety On or Off

I carry a XD-40 Subconpact. The question is moot as far as I'm concerned. I can carry either with a round in the chamber or the chamber empty. There is no manual safety. Only trigger and grip safeties. I carry one in the tube and love the two automatic safties. That is why I went with the XD. DonL

NONE of my semi-auto handguns have a safety.
    I carry a concealed hand weapon so that I am immediately prepared for defense.
    To me a safety is just something else to remember to do so I can fire the weapon.
    All I want to remember is that the weapon is ready to fire as soon as it's drawn from the holster.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    personaly i did not vote .. but i carry a single action ( ah la 1911 or browning hp ) chamber loaded and safe on ... double action no matter the genere ( kahr , Walther style ( s&w ruger ect ) or taurus /cz (when decocked ) ect... safety off and chambered up ...glock and the new springers dont offer me a choice ... so i will only carry them carefully and in quality holsters no nylon floppy chit for them .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
    It is my understanding that my Beretta 92fs with the safety off is in the same "condition" as my Sig 226 that has no external safety. If this is not the case, please let me know AND provide a like to where you get your information.
    In a sense, it's the same condition, but in another sense, it's not, in that your SIG has a decocking lever; the safety on your beretta serves that function when you activate it.

If, as I mentioned above, you're not used to engaging the safety lever after firing, you're running the risk of holstering a cocked DA/SA...bad idea. I assume anyone who carries with the safety lever off must practice flicking the safety lever down, then back up, before holstering or coming back to ready-pistol, just like one would use a normal decock lever...but I still feel compelled to mention it again, because I'm pedantic.

Having carried a Beretta M9 while in the military, I don't feel I lose any time at all by carrying with the safety on, and flicking the lever as I present the weapon.

AX

I usually carry pistols without an external safety (Kahr PM-9, P-45, Sig 229, CZ 75DB). However when I do carry my 1911 I have her cocked and locked.
    Shoot well and be safe

-Don

"The trouble with our liberal friends are not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links