Defensive Carry banner

If you MUST carry a semi-auto hand gun w/a safety, how do you carry it?

POLL: Safety (on/off)? Chambered round?

5K views 58 replies 43 participants last post by  Greymoor 
#1 ·
There have been some discussions about folks who carry with the safety on or off, and with or without a round in the chamber.

This poll has a simple question: If you MUST carry a semi-auto hand gun that has an external safety (make it something like a Beretta 92fs), how do you carry it? For the sake of the poll, please pretend that this will be the only handgun you will carry and you will practice with whatever condition you choose to carry it in.

This poll is NOT about what kind of gun you do carry and I am not interested in replies like "I carry a Sig226 so it does not have a safety" or "My 1911 must have the safety on when cocked and locked".

I understand that a lot of choose to carry in different ways and this thread is intended to share WHY we do what we do.

#2 ·
I'll start.

I would carry always with a chambered round and the safety off. This would be done using a quality holster that completely covers the trigger and trigger guard area. I also believe the holster should have some king of retention like a thumb break or snap, but not one like a triple retention that may slow down my draw.

I believe that, with proper handling and in a proper holster, you should have very little risk of an AD/UD. I also think that IF you find yourself in a situation where you must draw, having to rack the slide or disengage the safety only adds another ting to think about. In this situation you are already thinking about a lot, I do not what to worry about anything else or invite Mr. Murphy to the party.

#4 ·
Since I do carry/train with my personal P229 & P226...when I have deployed with the M9, I carried with one in the pipe and safety OFF...

I carry my SIGs more than I carry the M9/Beretta 92F...and when push came to shove, I'm glad I carried the way I did...

Mike in VA

#9 ·
when I have deployed with the M9, I carried with one in the pipe and safety OFF...
Here's a question for you out of personal curiosity...Are you actually allowed to carry it like that?

When I went through CATM in the USAF, some 3 years ago, I was instructed to always carry the M9 with the safety off, that it functioned more as a decocker, and a safety for those turning in, checking out, and loading their sidearms.

The M16, obviously had to be "safety-on," but I was instructed specifically that the M9 was always to be carried in the "safety-off" position. Of course it was in the M12 holster, so weapon retention wasn't really an issue, but I was just curious because I got into a debate on pdo with an Army Grunt about that, and he said just the opposite. Personaly curiosity, I don't doubt him, but just seeing how it's changed.

#5 ·
Not to knock the subject but - it is one we have discussed often in various ways :wink:

If I carry 1911 style then, con 1 - one in pipe safety on.

My EDC tho these days is SIG 226 and so one in pipe and decocked is my way to go - safe as need be and a DA gets the party going. Basically same if I have the SW99 on board.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note this other thread -

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=13338

#42 ·
you law enforcement guys...

what's the norm in your profession?

I know most now carry semi-autos. Is it department policy or your choice about safety on/off with/without chambered round.
My dept and the city police here carry all Glock 22's. No external safety (except the trigger finger), but always with one in the chamber.

#8 ·
PolarBear,

Not to get in your face here, but you said "I would Carry".

I for one carry with one in the pipe and the safety on. I am only confortable carrying without a safety when I am carrying my S&W 642. 8lb trigger pull... nuff said.

Do you currently carry in this mannor? I agree that there should be little chance of an AD/UD using your configuration. I just like the extra peace of mind. An AD?UD in a public place would be frowned upon by most.

#16 ·
The use of the word "would" was in reference to the scenario.
I carry my Sig 226 or a Keltec P3AT and they have no external safety. In the event I did carry my Beretta 92fs it would be done with the safety off, I just don't carry it.
I have NO fear of an AD/UD with ANYTHING I carry. My finger and Brain are my safety.

#10 ·
I've always drilled with an open top IWB/OWB and a loaded 1911 with the safety ON. My hand is my retention, the safety comes off during the jerk, and the finger stays out of the guard until the elbow is thrust down to line up the muzzle. It's firing continuously while the gun rises to eye level. After the stitch, the finger is out of the guard, the safety is on, and it's holstered carefully and slowly.

#11 ·
Safety off on everything I carry with one in the pipe.

If I had a 1911, I reckon it would be on for the cocked and locked carry. The real safety is my trigger finger, so I like to leave it just to that.

#12 ·
So what is the proper answer for someone like me who carries an XD with a round chambered. There is no manual safety.. So would that be safety off?

I'm not sure, because I do have to disengage the trigger and grip safeties before a round can be fired.

What do you guys think?

#13 ·
with the 226 it's one in the pipe and decocked.

1911 chambered, cocked safety on.

And for the LE answer,lots of cops are issued Glocks so it's always live.

I carried my SIG just as described above, when you need a gun you need it now, not stop to rack the slide.

#14 ·
As mentioned, there was no reference to action type. Mine are always loaded to capacity, but the 1911 is C-N-L, while the Taurus (DA/SA) varies. I find that from habit the saftey is usually on, but there I have practiced for years to sweep down/safety off on the draw.

That is the main reason why I don't like Berettas and those with slide mount safties.

#17 ·
A person reacts in an emergency as they train. If you train with the safety on then your auto reflexes will wipe the saftey off in an emergency without having to think about it.

That being said I always have the safety activated and one in the pipe.

Why give a Lawyer more ammo to use against you to try and make you look negligent. "So the gun has a safety and you carry the gun with it disengaged?" Hmmm doesn't sound good.

#24 · (Edited)
Caveat from shotgunning?

A person reacts in an emergency as they train. If you train with the safety on then your auto reflexes will wipe the saftey off in an emergency without having to think about it.
I agree with this. I think I am on topic, because of the way that this discussion has headed, but if not feel free to remove this post, it won't bother me. Without getting too lengthy, let me say that I am an avid bird hunter and used to guide a lot. Snap shooting a flushing bird is usually pure instinctive shooting, as it would be in a self defense situation; sans the threat of death and associated emotional disruption.

A friend of a freind, who were both guides, got killed because a client took the safety off, tripped and wheeled as he fell with his finger on the trigger. STUPID STUPID STUPID. Anyway, the rule for me and all of my partners is: safety on until the birds are in the air and finger off the trigger until the gun is shouldered and pointed. All can become one smooth motion.

It took some training, I shoot sporting clays in the same manner, but clicking off the safety is now automatic and I don't think about it, it just happens when the gun comes up.

One caveat is that for this to work, you have to have the same safety config on all of your weapons. Since I usually hunt with doubles, the only repeater with the safety in the right place is Mossberg, so I am limited to top mounted safties.

I would think the same must apply to CC. It will only work if you consistently train with weapons with the same safety mechanism. You don't have time to think, you have to rely on instinct and muscle memory.

Any thoughts on this from those who carry different weapons with different saftey types???

#18 ·
All of my handguns have a safety and I use it. I train to draw Secret Service-style by taking the safety off while I draw rather than after the draw. In response to your question about LEOs, many have a Glock so there is no safety (e.g. pull the trigger and it fires) but if they do have a safety many train to have the safety on and disengage it after they've drawn the gun.

Cheers.

#19 ·
AS a LEO that carries a Smith and Wesson DA/SA on duty, not a Glock or whatever, we are taught that the "safety" is a DE-cocker, not a SAFETY. I gather this is from Smith and Wesson's own training doctrine...so it is carried "off." I recall reading something to the effect that the LAPD carries their Mdl. 92 style Berettas with the decocker/safety OFF while the LASO carries them with the safety ON, but don't know if that is true or current.

#21 ·
I didn't vote because the qualifiers aren't clear enough and I didn't want to skew the poll.
I carry my 1911 different than the way I carry my other semi-autos so there isn't just one answer.

"Semi-autos" don't all function exactly the same therefore they aren't operated or carried the same.

For reference, I carry my Commander in Condition One (safety on), but I carry NONE of my other (DA/SA) semi-autos that way. They all accompany me with chamber loaded, hammer down, safety OFF.

#22 ·
I used to carry DA/SA with hammer down on first round and safety ON.

One day I decided to simulate stress. I used a replica gun firing pellets. The gun was just like my carry gun and the safety was identical.

Anyway, I set up some targets and randomly declared them "BGs" I drew and fired as quickly as possible at them. Actually I did pretty well except for one small problem.... Occasionally, I didn't get the safety off. I swiped it but didn't get it off safety. I didn't realize it and of course the gun didn't fire.

The problem with this was that every time it happened... it surprised me and it took me longer than you might think to recover, get the safety OFF and then try the target again. I realized that in a gunfight that mistake might be a BIG one.

Even though I KNEW this might happen missing the safety STILL continued to surprise me and slow me down.

Anyway, DA.. safety off. SA.. I would have the safety on anyway. That's why I carry only DA weapons. I don't trust myself in always getting that safety off under pressure.

#23 ·
Based on all the training I've had over the years, John, I gotta say that's some wise stuff you posted.

Things happen differently under stress than we may think. Presentations are muffed, shots are fired prematurely and dare I say wildly, and shots are even fired that shouldn't be. Bad decisions are made on faulty interpretation of the situation, and we even get blindsided by the "silent" partner. After the event, I've seen cocked DA/SAs holstered without being decocked, and safeties left off that should be on.

So realizing that safeties, et al can be missed, etc., it is wise to simplify the process as much as possible.

#28 ·
Sigh, some people just did NOT pay attention to the directions in the original post.. PRETEND YOU MUST CARRY A BERETTA 92FS.. so, with that in mind...
I would have one chambered w/ safety on. (this is my original thought), however, from the one post on page 2, I now would consider carrying a DA/SA in double action (like my glock) w/ the safety off. Good posts..

ALWAYS one chambered.

#31 ·
If I HAD to carry a gun with a safety, it would be OFF, except on rare occasions...maybe when playing with my granddaughter, etc.

I know the poll says "If you HAD to....", but in reality, I would never carry a gun with a safety.

A holstered gun without a safety (in a good retention holster, trigger covered, etc.) is no more likely to fire than one with the safety on--if you leave it in the holster until needed.

And of course, ALWAYS, ALWAYS one in the pipe. An unloaded gun is useless. Did I mention ALWAYS?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.