POLL: Safety (on/off)? Chambered round?

This is a discussion on POLL: Safety (on/off)? Chambered round? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There have been some discussions about folks who carry with the safety on or off, and with or without a round in the chamber. This ...

View Poll Results: If you MUST carry a semi-auto hand gun w/a safety, how do you carry it?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Safety Off, One in the chamber

49 25.52%
  • Safety Off, Chamber empty

7 3.65%
  • Safety On, One in the chamber

135 70.31%
  • Safety On, Chamber empty

1 0.52%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: POLL: Safety (on/off)? Chambered round?

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)

POLL: Safety (on/off)? Chambered round?

There have been some discussions about folks who carry with the safety on or off, and with or without a round in the chamber.

This poll has a simple question: If you MUST carry a semi-auto hand gun that has an external safety (make it something like a Beretta 92fs), how do you carry it? For the sake of the poll, please pretend that this will be the only handgun you will carry and you will practice with whatever condition you choose to carry it in.

This poll is NOT about what kind of gun you do carry and I am not interested in replies like "I carry a Sig226 so it does not have a safety" or "My 1911 must have the safety on when cocked and locked".

I understand that a lot of choose to carry in different ways and this thread is intended to share WHY we do what we do.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

2. Remove Ads

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    I'll start.

I would carry always with a chambered round and the safety off. This would be done using a quality holster that completely covers the trigger and trigger guard area. I also believe the holster should have some king of retention like a thumb break or snap, but not one like a triple retention that may slow down my draw.

I believe that, with proper handling and in a proper holster, you should have very little risk of an AD/UD. I also think that IF you find yourself in a situation where you must draw, having to rack the slide or disengage the safety only adds another ting to think about. In this situation you are already thinking about a lot, I do not what to worry about anything else or invite Mr. Murphy to the party.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

since were not going gun model type posts one in chamber with safety on

No point carrying one without a round in the tube

Since I do carry/train with my personal P229 & P226...when I have deployed with the M9, I carried with one in the pipe and safety OFF...

I carry my SIGs more than I carry the M9/Beretta 92F...and when push came to shove, I'm glad I carried the way I did...

Mike in VA

Assistant Administrator
    Not to knock the subject but - it is one we have discussed often in various ways

If I carry 1911 style then, con 1 - one in pipe safety on.

My EDC tho these days is SIG 226 and so one in pipe and decocked is my way to go - safe as need be and a DA gets the party going. Basically same if I have the SW99 on board.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note this other thread -

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=13338

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

you law enforcement guys...

what's the norm in your profession?

I know most now carry semi-autos. Is it department policy or your choice about safety on/off with/without chambered round.

Certainly y'all have much more training/range experience than the Joe Lunchbox.

My carry safety is my finger offed the trigger and of course one in the pipe!
    It comes a time in your life when you run across someone you should have never @#$$% with. Allow me to introduce myself!

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    PolarBear,

Not to get in your face here, but you said "I would Carry".

I for one carry with one in the pipe and the safety on. I am only confortable carrying without a safety when I am carrying my S&W 642. 8lb trigger pull... nuff said.

Do you currently carry in this mannor? I agree that there should be little chance of an AD/UD using your configuration. I just like the extra peace of mind. An AD?UD in a public place would be frowned upon by most.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    when I have deployed with the M9, I carried with one in the pipe and safety OFF...
    Here's a question for you out of personal curiosity...Are you actually allowed to carry it like that?

When I went through CATM in the USAF, some 3 years ago, I was instructed to always carry the M9 with the safety off, that it functioned more as a decocker, and a safety for those turning in, checking out, and loading their sidearms.

The M16, obviously had to be "safety-on," but I was instructed specifically that the M9 was always to be carried in the "safety-off" position. Of course it was in the M12 holster, so weapon retention wasn't really an issue, but I was just curious because I got into a debate on pdo with an Army Grunt about that, and he said just the opposite. Personaly curiosity, I don't doubt him, but just seeing how it's changed.

VIP Member
    I've always drilled with an open top IWB/OWB and a loaded 1911 with the safety ON. My hand is my retention, the safety comes off during the jerk, and the finger stays out of the guard until the elbow is thrust down to line up the muzzle. It's firing continuously while the gun rises to eye level. After the stitch, the finger is out of the guard, the safety is on, and it's holstered carefully and slowly.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Safety off on everything I carry with one in the pipe.

If I had a 1911, I reckon it would be on for the cocked and locked carry. The real safety is my trigger finger, so I like to leave it just to that.

So what is the proper answer for someone like me who carries an XD with a round chambered. There is no manual safety.. So would that be safety off?

I'm not sure, because I do have to disengage the trigger and grip safeties before a round can be fired.

What do you guys think?
    Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

with the 226 it's one in the pipe and decocked.

1911 chambered, cocked safety on.

And for the LE answer,lots of cops are issued Glocks so it's always live.

I carried my SIG just as described above, when you need a gun you need it now, not stop to rack the slide.
    Ranger Gunleather

If light rails were needed on handguns John Browning would have included it on the 1911.

As mentioned, there was no reference to action type. Mine are always loaded to capacity, but the 1911 is C-N-L, while the Taurus (DA/SA) varies. I find that from habit the saftey is usually on, but there I have practiced for years to sweep down/safety off on the draw.

That is the main reason why I don't like Berettas and those with slide mount safties.

I carry DA/SA firearms with one in the pipe or DA revolvers, so DA on the 1st round is all the safety I need.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links