Drawing from a vehicle, ie: seated position?

This is a discussion on Drawing from a vehicle, ie: seated position? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all - I searched around and didn't quite find what I was looking for, though I'll admit I didn't search super hard, but here's ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Drawing from a vehicle, ie: seated position?

Hey all -

I searched around and didn't quite find what I was looking for, though I'll admit I didn't search super hard, but here's my question: how do you experienced cc'ers draw from a seated position in a vehicle?

I'm a right handed shooter, my PPS sits IWB right on my side, a bit to the back as that's most comfortable for me. When I'm in my car my firearm is pretty much wedged against the seatbelt receiver. Between that, clothing and winter jacket, it would be all but impossible to draw if required while in the vehicle. When I OC this isn't as much of an issue, I can still easily get to the firearm, but not when carrying concealed.

Do you just take the gun out of your holster and throw it in the glove box or armrest? I don't really like the idea of that since it's still out of quick reach: reaching either over to the glove box and opening that or getting the armrest open is faster than drawing but not by that much. Or do you move it inside a jacket or similar?

Basically: Is there any tips or tricks that you've learned over the years to help facilitate a faster response in an emergency? Or should I just remove the firearm and stick it elsewhere in the car or on my body?

I've clipped a left handed OWB holster inside my driver door map pocket. I'd rather have quick pistol access & shoot weak handed, saving my right hand to control the car if I need to DRIVE.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I like ghosttrackers idea. They also make holsters that mount below the steering column.
    marcclarke likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Yeah that's not a bad idea - I guess it would keep it out of sight too if you need to surreptitiously draw too.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Brian View Post
    Yeah that's not a bad idea - I guess it would keep it out of sight too if you need to surreptitiously draw too.
    Yeah, but it'll be hell-for-loud if I don't get that muzzle out the window. Like a stun grenade.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Yeah, but it'll be hell-for-loud if I don't get that muzzle out the window. Like a stun grenade.
    Firing a handgun from inside a vehicle is "hell-for-loud" no matter how you do it, with the muzzle inside the vehicle or outside.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have the Gum Creek holster under my steering column, it is easy to get to as I carry at 4:30 normally, to hard to move with the seat belt on. The other option I like when driving is to wear a shoulder rig, admittedly more of a fall/winter option for concealability.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I use a DeSantis Kingston car holster. drawing couldn't be more simple.

I just reach between my legs and grab the gun from it's holster.

Re: Drawing from a vehicle, ie: seated position?

AIWB

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    msc8127 and Piratesailor like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

A car gun might not be a bad idea. I carry at about 11:30 (the slide) - grip goes to maybe 1:00? Very easy to access while seated.

Austin

Distinguished Member
    When I climb into the truck I move my pistol, in its Remora holster, to my 11:00 position (cross-draw)... Still IWB, but with the grip exposed.
    The seat belt does not interfere with drawing the weapon and when it comes out of the holster it's positioned well for defense against a driver side threat.

When I hop out of the truck I easily move it back to an AIWB position and drape my un-tucked shirt over it for concealment.
    Pistology likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Holsters mounted below dash or under the steering column are a no-no if you have the new "knee air bags". FIST makes a leather crossdraw holster that pivots so you have the gun parallel to your waist when seated and perpendicular when standing. Push a button to move it parallel but all you do is turn it to go back to perpendicular. If I spent time in my Tundra that's what I'd wear. Crossdraw has plenty of disadvantages but the ease of use, strong hand, etc would outweigh it for me.
    Pistology likes this.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd taken better care of myself when I was younger

Re: Drawing from a vehicle, ie: seated position?

This is one of my favorite things about appendix carry. No adjusting or switching around holsters when I get in and out of my old heep.

sent via iCarry
    Pistology likes this.

I appendix carry. I'm left handed and usually cross draw appendix. Easy to get to.

I like GT's idea of clipping it to the door map pocket. Not easily seen and for me, strong hand.

Curious about car holsters in general. What I've seen do not look vey concealed.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar

DeSantis Kingston holster.
    oldnfat and GH like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links