Denied Concealed Handgun Permit in NC

This is a discussion on Denied Concealed Handgun Permit in NC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That's terrible, I hope it gets resolved. I myself was arrested for assault and the case was dropped, and it didn't impact my license luckily....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Denied Concealed Handgun Permit in NC

That's terrible, I hope it gets resolved. I myself was arrested for assault and the case was dropped, and it didn't impact my license luckily.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mthoma86 View Post
    Thanks dbglock and everyone.

dbglock, the charge is definitely not pending I have paperwork with the courts seal stating the case is expunged and sealed. I will probably make a visit down to the sheriffs office before appealing, because I think this may be a mistake on my record.

First off, welcome to the forum.

You can go to the sheriffs office. It might be able to be resolved at that level, but also be prepared for a formal appeal of the denial.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

dbglock, the charge is definitely not pending I have paperwork with the courts seal stating the case is expunged and sealed. I will probably make a visit down to the sheriffs office before appealing, because I think this may be a mistake on my record.
    This is a good start. One suggestion is to call first and make an appointment to talk directly to the sheriff. That will put you in front of the person that has the final say so, not one of his deputies that you would have to rely on to relay your info in the right way. Also if the sheriff has additional questions you get them directly and not second hand so you don't get additional layers of interpretation.

Also ask for copies of what he's seeing where your records are in question. Hard copy makes follow ups with other agencies a ton easier.
    msgt/ret and Hoganbeg like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

If the case was dismissed and sealed/expunged, how did it even show up when they searched?
    I would appeal it, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Chavak View Post
    If the case was dismissed and sealed/expunged, how did it even show up when they searched?
    I would appeal it, no doubt.
    It has to be sealed, if it's sealed the police/courts can still see it if they look. Expunged would mean erased entirely and then they couldn't see it.

My state doesn't allow expunging, which is obnoxious because that means my arrest will always follow me around. Forever.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I know that in Id and Az you can ask the AG of the state and that would not cost anything he is the top cop in the state and may have a answer for you

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I am of the combo philosophy. Go consult an attorney so they are ready if the need arises. Then go to the processing office to try to straighten out the matter. If that doesn't work the attorney is still there and aware of what is going on. The attorney may even be able to guide you how to approach those at the processing office. If the Sheriff is the one you should talk to about this matter your attorney will know.
    Last edited by Black Knight; November 7th, 2012 at 09:17 PM.

Re: Denied Concealed Handgun Permit in NC

If the case was dismissed and the courts didn't submit the disposition info to the fbi the charge will show up as pending on your criminal history.

Sent from my wireless carrier pigeon using Tapatalk.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I would have a lawyer on stand by just in case of things going south.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

VIP Member

Please let us know how you make out. Good luck!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Its been a while, but basically what happened was..the charge that was expunged had never been sent out to the FBI, or BCI (Bureau of Criminal Investigation) as my expungement paperwork said would happen! So as a result it still appeared on my record! I had to fax in my paperwork showing it was expunged and it was consequently removed.. Unfortunately, I had to reapply and pay the fee again but am waiting to be accepted the 2nd time around..

Senior Moderator
    Well I hope that it works this time
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Appeal this. I woud not go the lawyer route first.

Most people are reasonable. There was a simple mistake somewhere and reasonable people would understand and fix it.

Of course you need to get this straightened out. If it popped up here it will pop up again and again -- and not just when applying for your handgun permit.

Definitely get it straightened out. You don't know what other surprises await down the road if it isn't cleared from the system.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links