Concealed Carry vs Open Carry - Page 2

Concealed Carry vs Open Carry

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry vs Open Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i have to agree with mikemsd that in Tn we have the option and i preferr to carry concealed and preferr to see or not ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry vs Open Carry

i have to agree with mikemsd that in Tn we have the option and i preferr to carry concealed and preferr to see or not see others who are armed. as a LEO i preferr to know that citizens are armed and able to protect themselves. besides, if people see it you will be the first target.

Red face

Seems to be a consistent response about "becoming a target" if open carrying, and I couldn't agree more. I don't believe advertising is a good idea, and besides, I stopped playing cowboys and indians over 40 years ago....be subtle and be prepared!

There seems to be excessive worry about an accidental "showing" of a concealed handgun being "brandishing", I am sure the laws vary from state to state but to be brandishing requires more than just someone seeing your weapon. Here in Missouri the Revised Statutes state “Exhibits, in the presence of one or more persons, any weapon readily capable of lethal use in an angry or threatening manner ". I take measures to prevent accedental showings, like sewing a half dozen pennys in the botton hem of a shirt worn open and untucked to keep the wind from blowing it open (and aids in getting the shirt tail out of the way when drawing) but I don't worry about it.

Lead Moderator
    concealed all the time unless out in the boonies. Don't need anyone knowing if I am carrying or not.

Assistant Administrator
    In and around house, office - open, or concealed - just depending on clothing.

Out and about - concealed at all times. I do in summer use a vest - which some folks laugh at, because they say it shouts carry! It may ''suggest'' the ''possibility'' but in no way advertizes I actually do. Thus I'd hardly think that in itself makes me a target.

Beyond that - nothing is visible - let 'em guess!?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Unless i was out in the boonies hunting I'm going to be carrying "concealed"!!! First and foremost if i ever have to present my gun i want it to be the biggest suprise to the BG and the last thing he/she see's.Second,whether we like it or not the general public does not like to see ordinary citizen walking around armed to the teeth.So why bring yourself all of the extra attention.

I open carry at least once a month just as a reminder to myself and my fellow citzens that it's still acceptable here.

Amazingly, few people actually notice.

Much of the hubbub about tactical disadvantage etc. I suspect is probably just paranoia.

Actually,once I'm in a better situation financially, I'm considering open carry on occasion. I think it's good to remind folks of our rights once in a while. As for being a target for bad guys, I don't think it'll be a problem. I don't see a lot of cops getting mugged or shot at for their guns. Also, if someone is psycho enough to attack a guy wearing a gun, I'd rather be armed.
    I'm also a bit intimidating, physically. At least, that's what I'm told. Here's my most recent photo, at 5'10, 295lbs:
    Axe Pic
    I don't like the idea of altering my behavior to conform with another person's flawed view of what the world should be. I do like having the option of concealed carry. Keeps the criminal element on their toes if they don't know who is or isn't armed, and it's nice to be able to shop without freaking out the tellers.

:vikings26
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

DC Founder
    I think I would let you keep the gun and the axe....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

1952 - 2006
    Guys your size are why I carry a 45ACP and not some wimpy 9m/m.

I had a roommate who is 6'8" and 285. I always told him that a cop is going to shoot him first and worry about cuffing him afterwards.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Open carry is totally legal in Idaho and nobody really seems to notice or care, but why let the bad guys know your armed, better to keep them wondering.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Like a couple of the others who have posted to this thread; I live in Missouri where open carry is legal (we've got really dumb laws, you can open carry, or carry concealed in your vehicle at 21 but you can't get a ccw until 23). However, I choose to carry concealed and try to avoid allowing my weapon to be exposed. In a tactical sense, I feel that a concealed firearm is superior to one that is carried openly due to the element of surprise. No one knows you have it until you want them to know.

I can sympathize with the idea of open carry to remind people that it's legal. However, after a lot of thought, I've formed the opinion that this does more harm than good. In the town I live, if someone sees you with a firearm and no badge there's about a 99% chance that in the police will be burning rubber to get to your location because one of the sheeple (who don't know the laws) freaked out and called 911 (where they probably talked to a dispatcher who is just about as clueless). It'll all be sorted out eventually, but not before you've been forced to show your ID so they can run a check and they may run your gun's serial-number...basically it's going to be a royal P.I.T.A.

Aside from the hassle of having to deal with the police, we also have to consider the public-relations standpoint. When the "average" person sees a guy carrying openly, they're probably not going to consider the fact that he's just lawfully and peacefully exercising his Second Ammendment rights. Even if they don't call the cops, they're probably going to walk away thinking said gun-carrier is a nut-job.
    That being said, people like us who choose to exercise our rights to be armed are never going to be accepted/embraced by everyone. That's a fact of life and I don't particularly care what the anti-gunners think. However, since we are constantly fighting an uphill battle to maintain our freedoms, I don't think that it's advantageous for us to invite the scrutiny or criticism.

I'm not saying that those of you who choose to open-carry are necessarily wrong. The issue is also going to vary by location. In a rural area there are going to be fewer problems than there are in a city. This is just my personal opinion (and ya know what they say about those )
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I dislike open carrying for two reasons. First, it attracts a lot of unwanted attention to myself. Second, it frightens some of the more irrational citizens around me.

I don't want people watching my every move, whether I'm running errands around town or just relaxing on my time off. I also don't want to be the subject of a police investigation or traffic stop. There are plenty of criminals out there who need police attention more than I do.
    SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Proud member NRA, GOA, VCDL

VIP Member
    I would like to live in a society where openly carying a gun is viewed as normal. Unfortunately, that society disappeared a long time ago and now open carry would make me look like I'm a nutjob trying to intimidate people with the presence of my handgun. I also probably wouldn't be on the good side of a lot of cops, especially when they keep getting called because people are scared of me, and I would be first target for criminals.

Supposedly TN law doesn't specify that open carry is illegal, but I only carry openly in my home and when I'm out on my parent's property. I prefer to stay under the radar, so the rest of the time it's concealed for me.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I worked on a ranch for maybe 3 years -- actually about 60 miles north of you, kenpotex. Carried a Ruger Super Blackhawk on a gunbelt every day, and usually carried a Winchester 30-30 as well. At least in the little tiny towns nearby, if anybody noticed, they didn't say a thing. And, I'm a small person who's probably not intimidating.
    Having said all that, I would not carry openly these days (unless I were back on that ranch) away from my home. Where I live now, people would go crazy if they saw a gun. The key word is "if" because I honestly wonder if the sheep would even notice....
    At home, I use my same concealment holsters but don't specifically try to keep the gun concealed - the only eyes that would see the gun are the eyes of my dogs, and they're used to guns.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links