OWB carry for CC? - Page 2

OWB carry for CC?

This is a discussion on OWB carry for CC? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In cooler weather, I always carry OWB. I generally have on a light jacket or vest so it's real easy. One thing I would suggest ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: OWB carry for CC?

In cooler weather, I always carry OWB. I generally have on a light jacket or vest so it's real easy. One thing I would suggest about vests is to get a Tall version. They fit normally but are just a little longer and do a better job of concealing an OWB holster. This is particularly true if you are long waisted like me.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Yes; if my my cover garment is sufficiently long, I will generally carry OWB, for better access speed and comfort, plus being closer to what I use 40+ hours a week as a uniformed peace officer. I generally do not favor "high-ride" rigs because they jam the gun into my ribs, as I am relatively short-waisted in spite of being six feet tall. If toting a 1911, a Bulman FDS (Forward Drop Scabbard) is an example of a holster with a name that explains what I favor, in that the front of the rig is dropped just a bit, rather than the rear portion being tilted upward. A similar rig I use for revolvers is the Milt Sparks PMK. When wearing a more voluminous cover garment, I like the Milt Sparks 200AW or HSR.

If wearing the holster a bit more to the front, I prefer a straight drop, and high ride is OK. I have a Sherrick rig, with a name I cannot recall at the moment, that is a straight-drop high-ride, with no part of the weapon extending below the bottom edge of the belt, built for the SP101. For appendix or cross draw OWB, I like the Kramer Crossdraw variant of his Vertical Scabbard, which I normally wear in the appendix position to carry a snubby. (Normally this will be a secondary weapon, as I almost always wear my primary weapon at 0300-0330.)

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Galco Concealable and you can hide it under a T-Shirt.
    The Galco Concealable is a quite good rig! I used one to to carry a G29 during my Glock days, and used them for my SP101 snubbies before I received my Sparks PMK rigs. I will still occasionally use one when a particular pair of pants has belt loops that do not suit the PMK.

If at all possible I prefer OWB for my PPS. I have found the Crossbreed OWB to work well. Very comfortable, secure, and rides high enough for good concealment. BTW, for IWB I found the FIST to be excellent.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Your foundation for OWB should be a GOOD gunbelt. Spend the money to get a quality gunbelt. It will support your weapon unbelievably well and will draw the holster in tighter to your body. Then the fun begins on shopping for the holster YOU want, based on appearance, positioning, etc. Then, try out the several different "cover" methods that you can use to conceal that weapon on your side. Once you've settled on everything and are comfortable with your setup, then start your dryfire practice in your living room, drawing from concealment, re holstering, etc. JMO
    RoadRunner71, StarPD45 and JDE101 like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

As someone about to get their CCW and is experimenting at home with holsters, carry positions, open/concealed, and IWB/OWB I am having similar issues. I can't seem to find an IWB position that blends in very well with my Glock 30 or Walther P22. On the other hand I am able to do it OWB and the occasional person will probably notice but it feels alot more natural and seems to blend pretty well. I live in TN where it is legal to open carry so I'm not really concerned with it, but like you say I would rather nobody know if I had anything.

Goose

I've carried OWB for years. Even here in Florida you can do it with the proper gear and cover garment. The largest that I carry is a SIG P239 down to a Kahr CM9! No problems with either! At times I even concealed a full size 1911. But I don't shoot 45 acp anymore.....
    Tony

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I wear Hawaiian style shirts in the summer and have no problem concealing a full size 1911 OWB. In cooler weather your options are even better.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

For me it just depends on the level of concealment I'm after. I'd love to wear my OWB for CC all the time, but when I really need to conceal my carry I go with the less comfortable IWB. The only time I OC (with the OWB of course) is on my daily walks with my dog in the state park adjacent to my property.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I'm looking at getting a nice OWB holster for my 1911 to carry in the winter time. I wear enough sweaters, hoodies, and jackets to cover it and the extra comfort would be welcoming.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    I'm looking at getting a nice OWB holster for my 1911 to carry in the winter time. I wear enough sweaters, hoodies, and jackets to cover it and the extra comfort would be welcoming.
    Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro-my go to OWB for my 1911.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

UBG Regulator nice holster,good price and received it in 2 weeks

GH
    I only have OWB holsters but am kind of considering IWB. I have no problems with any of my OWB systems so I'll probably just continue to carry the way I'm used to so at this time I'll save my money. I've heard that Galco makes a good one. It sells for $29 at Streicher's in Butler, WI. I'm sure other gun shops sell them, too.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Hello everyone, I am here again for advice lol. You all know you love me to ask questions lol.

Now that cooler weather is upon us I am always cold so I always have a jacket or sweater on. I am wanting to owb carry instead of in my purse. I have an iwb but don't care for that way of carry. I have been looking, online, at some really nice looking holsters. Holsters are not cheap how am I to know which is the best for me? I don't personally know anyone who carries, that doesn't live in another state, so I can't look at their holsters. I carry on my side just to the front of my arm.

So far I like these:

BTB Holster - D.M. Bullard Leather Mfg.

Belt Slide Holster - D.M. Bullard Leather Mfg.

SR9c-SR40c-Mitch-Rosen-Holster-Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

Bill Frarey (High Ride) - American Holster Company | American Holster Company

Please, if you have a reason to say yes or no about any of these would you let me know. Thanks so much.

I am beginning to believe more and more this conceal carry is crap lol. Yes, I said crap and if you know me at all you know that is a mighty strong word for me to use. Would be so much easier to open carry. My husband is totally against open carry even with it being legal here in Ohio or I would open carry. Not worth the fighting at this point lol.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmike86 View Post
    UBG Regulator nice holster,good price and received it in 2 weeks
    Thanks, will look at this one.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links