OWB carry for CC?

This is a discussion on OWB carry for CC? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like these from Tagua. I have one for my 1911 and P238. Bought one locally, and the one for the P238 from Amazon. Plus ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: OWB carry for CC?

I like these from Tagua. I have one for my 1911 and P238. Bought one locally, and the one for the P238 from Amazon. Plus for my 1911 I have a few other holsters both IWB and OWB.

http://www.taguagunleather.com/new/b...lt-holster-p20

2. Remove Ads

I have OWB carried since day-one...

I honestly do not see how people wear IWB holsters, unless you wear pants three sizes too big, and then you get the fashion police called on you for wearing baggy clothes...LOL....

for a long time i carried every gun i owned in a galco concealable, which is excellent......but i just got this holster last week, my first Kydex and it is EXCELLENT.....thin, light and comfortable...disappears under a t shirt..

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    I carry OWB holster ..a Ruger LC9..I find OWB to be much more comfortable for this size weapon even though it is a compact 9. I also find that extraction to me seems quicker and easier than IWB for this gun. However I also have a Ruger LCP (380) and I do carry it IWB in a leather holster fitted to the gun.

Mitch Rosen 5JR holster for LC9...most comfortable......imagejpeg_2.jpg

M&p Shield 9mm in a Desantis Mini-scabbard, most comfortable!

Ive been carrying my glock 26 in a serpa owb holster at about my 5 oclock position. Paddle holster. Either wear a jacket, hoodie, or a long tshirt

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    I'm looking at getting a nice OWB holster for my 1911 to carry in the winter time. I wear enough sweaters, hoodies, and jackets to cover it and the extra comfort would be welcoming.

I just got my Simply Rugged Cuda pancake holster for my newly acquired PPS....

Kramer horsehide belt scabbard

I tend to like OWB carry in a high riding pancake holster behind the hip and have used a number of them. I find them more comfortable than IWB holsters, and find they conceal just as well with the right cover garment. My favorite brand is the Kramer belt scabbard in horsehide, like this one I use with a Colt Defender 45.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Springfield LW Champion Operator in an El Paso Saddlery Co. thumb-break model 331, or a Springfield TRP in a Galco Concealable. Both are infinitely more comfortable than IWB carry, and are virtually as concealable.
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

Re: OWB carry for CC?

Has anyone tried an owb holster on a separate belt iwb? I think I may try it as I need a tuckable option. I don't like the clips on most iwb holsters and the fusionpac is expensive, takes a long time to get and some people say the front sight gets caught on the kydex. I'm just crazy like that I guess.

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    I have OWB carried since day-one...

I honestly do not see how people wear IWB holsters, unless you wear pants three sizes too big, and then you get the fashion police called on you for wearing baggy clothes...LOL....

for a long time i carried every gun i owned in a galco concealable, which is excellent......but i just got this holster last week, my first Kydex and it is EXCELLENT.....thin, light and comfortable...disappears under a t shirt..

What series holster is that? M or C ?

Ruger sp 101 and sig p250 compact both in simply rugged owb holsters. Silver dollar and cuda respectively. 5'11 average 200 lbs mostly wear "athletic " cut polos and camp shirts when c.c. and if you weren't looking for it you would be hard pressed to see anything. Owb is nice in that it gives you the option of sliding the holster around to a more comfortable position if needed. Ex. My wifes car seats have very flat backrests, my car seats are very very narrow with big side bolsters on the backrest, owb lets me sit comfortably in both vehicles by simply sliding the holster back and forth as needed.

Like many people, I have spent enough on holsters to pay for a very nice gun. Just never could seem to get exactly what I wanted. I prefer OWB carry. As an earlier poster said, there is already too much of me IWB. Over time I have come to prefer kydex pancake holsters with passive retention, high riding on the belt, and holding the gun close to the body. For me this type of holster conceals well, secures the gun well, and equally as important - is surprisingly comfortable. The best I have found for my own use ( and I am very pleased with them ) I purchased from Tac-Tech-Cal ( website of the same name ). There is a gallery on his website that displays some of his work. IMO it is first class stuff - the best I have ever used. Prices are resonable ( $60 -$70 for his standard holsters ) and delivery time for me was about two weeks. I am not affiliated with this holster maker in any way - just a very satisfied customer. Good luck in your search for the right holster.

Distinguished Member
    When you carry OWB, what happens when you sit? As in a restaurant? You can't remove your jacket. Shirts ride up. I think I would like to try it, but I just have not figured out how to stay concealed all the time. OWB under a Tshirt? I would need about a 5X. It would look like a dress. Open jackets don't seem to me they would conceal very well at all. Insight from some who are making this work please.

When you carry OWB, what happens when you sit? As in a restaurant? You can't remove your jacket. Shirts ride up. I think I would like to try it, but I just have not figured out how to stay concealed all the time. OWB under a Tshirt? I would need about a 5X. It would look like a dress. Open jackets don't seem to me they would conceal very well at all. Insight from some who are making this work please.

For a lot of people, it takes a small gun in a close to the body holster to pull it off under a T-Shirt. I find that a T-Shirt and an unbuttoned outer shirt that is a size too big works pretty well with sub compacts like a Glock 26. For something larger a jacket is probably better, and yes you would have to keep the jacket on ( as you probably would with an IWB unless it is tuckable ). I usually make an effort to situate myself so the side on which the gun is located is away from the view of others ( such as sitting in a booth instead of at a table etc. ) All sorts of little things like that help keep the gun unnoticed by others. It takes a little effort but it can be done. I have large, medium and small carry guns and carry them OWB. I prefer the large gun but which one I carry depends on how I have to be dressed.

I carry a G26 in a Raven Concealment Phantom worn OWB. Absolutely no problems with concealment summer or winter.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links