FL- crowd size limits? - Page 2

FL- crowd size limits?

This is a discussion on FL- crowd size limits? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ghillie I'll count my question as answered however. Fine to carry at block parties. In that same vein however, where do beer ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: FL- crowd size limits?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghillie View Post
    I'll count my question as answered however. Fine to carry at block parties. In that same vein however, where do beer tents fall? I couldn't decide if they would qualify as "such portion of an establishment" because they are temporary setups but are made for the solepurpose of selling alcohol. No desire to be a test case for that.
    A gray area for sure, but because "bars" are expressly prohibited, some prosecutor may consider a beer tent as no more than a "temporary" bar. I would avoid entering one. If you prefer to have a hotdog and beer, buy the frank, have a seat in the common eating area, and have someone bring you a beer. It's legal to drink and carry concealed in FL, but use your best judgement if that's the path you choose. It's a rocky path with many possible stumbles.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I believe you might of misunderstood your instructor, gun shows are very legit,weather buying or eduacation or getting ur ccFL.

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    A gun course at a gun show?
    I got a tattoo in a van at a flea market once... that was a bad idea too.
    I got my CCP the same place I got my driver's license. Wal*Mart. They were running a special that week so I picked up one for my son, too!

Old vet... I dont think its legal to mix alcohol with guns in Florida, or in any states for that matter idk. It dont sound right to me... Eddie

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miamieddie View Post
    Old vet... I dont think its legal to mix alcohol with guns in Florida, or in any states for that matter idk. It dont sound right to me... Eddie
    Miamieddie, I believe you mentioned a while back that you planned on getting your CWFL soon. One of the requirements of getting the license is to become knowledgeable of FL statute 790. Some of your responses indicate you haven't done that. In regards to drinking and possessing firearms in Florida, I'll save you the research on that point. The state statute is as follows:

790.151 Using firearm while under the influence of alcoholic beverages, chemical substances, or controlled substances; penalties.—
    (1) As used in ss. 790.151-790.157, to “use a firearm” means to discharge a firearm or to have a firearm readily accessible for immediate discharge.
    (2) For the purposes of this section, “readily accessible for immediate discharge” means loaded and in a person’s hand.
    (3) It is unlawful and punishable as provided in subsection (4) for any person who is under the influence of alcoholic beverages, any chemical substance set forth in s. 877.111, or any substance controlled under chapter 893, when affected to the extent that his or her normal faculties are impaired, to use a firearm in this state.
    (4) Any person who violates subsection (3) commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
    (5) This section does not apply to persons exercising lawful self-defense or defense of one’s property.

Note that no where does it prohibit possession of a firearm while drinking, only in its use, actually "in hand," which is still allowed in defense of self and property. As long as your gun is holstered, techically one can be snockered and still possess a firearm. I would never suggest anyone do that (certainly not something I would do), but FL gun laws do not prohibit it. Common sense may.

You'll find far too many people on these sites relying on something that "sounds right," or "doesn't sound right" as the case may be and have never bothered to look up the law as it applies in their state or municipality. No matter what your buddy, your instructor, or the LEO next door says, it comes down to what is posted in the written law, not popular opinion or internet lore.
    lchamp and Miamieddie like this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I recommend anyone in Florida should buy Jon Gutmacher's book -- Florida Firearms Law, Use and Ownership. He is generally recognized as one of the real experts on florida firearms law.

Thanx oldvet didnt know that, and yes i have NOT got my cc licsence yet.. Mabye nx year sometime when i get a chance and priority out of the way... Thanx again ... Eddie

Ran into this problem just this past weekend. Traveled out of town to a hotel where we valet parked, then went inside to check in. Come to find out our room wasn't ready yet, so we set off to sit down & have a drink, not thinking about my Glock 27 on my side. Once we sat down & ordered the thought hit me. Did a quick check of the statute above & came to the same conclusion. However, just to make sure I didn't end up as an example (we technically were in a theme park), I unloaded & stored ammunition in the wifes purse. Of course, she didn't like the extra weight too much!

VIP Member
    Yep, in my mind a bar is a bar, is a bar... Always better to err on the side of caution.

Seeing as this thread is still alive and has taken a turn towards the alcohol laws, I have another question that I feel is pertinent. There is a bar/ restaurant in my town that has live music in their enclosed courtyard. This area is accessible without entering the "bar" inside. However, during the time that the music is performed, it is evident that the majority of sales are alcohol. Even if one does not approach the bar, the fact that mostly alcohol is being sold calls into question whether the courtyard would then fall under the 'such portion of the establishment which is primarily dedicated to the sale of alcohol" (my wording may be slightly off) clause. Thoughts?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links