New leather holster breakin......anyone ever tried Leather Lightning ?

This is a discussion on New leather holster breakin......anyone ever tried Leather Lightning ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just purchased a Mitch Rosen 5JR belt holster fitted for the Ruger LC9. Great looking and quality made holster....LC9 goes in but need 4 people ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By finst3r
  • 2 Post By First Sgt

Thread: New leather holster breakin......anyone ever tried Leather Lightning ?

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar

Just purchased a Mitch Rosen 5JR belt holster fitted for the Ruger LC9.

Great looking and quality made holster....LC9 goes in but need 4 people to extract it.....(it's new and tight) (boy is it tight).

They recommend Leather Lightning....don't know what is in it but they claim it does not penetrate the leather (you only put it in the inside of the holater).

anyone tried this product.....what did you think...

Thanks

Don

Re: New leather holster breakin......anyone ever tried Leather Lightning ?

May be like Stoner Holster's dressing which is a blend of bees wax in a non-harmful solvent. Just for the inside, a coat or two to slick the inside just a bit.

George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

Fitch likes this.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I used wax paper much like the link suggests using the gun. Took all of one day for each of my holsters, and they all came along just fine.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

The baggie or wax paper method seems to work just fine. Holster with baggie/paper overnight, repeat if still significantly tight. IMO, the last thing you want to do is to weaken the leather. At best, all you need to do is stretch it slightly. Keep in mind that usage will wear the interior over time, slickening up the leather.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Leather lightning is good stuff. It is worth it.

Wrap the gun in wax paper and insert/remove 50 times. Leave gun wrapped in wax paper in holster for 5 days. Enjoy new broke in holster.

VIP Member
    Bag or wax paper both work fine. First unload weapon. Leave bagged or wrapped in holster overnight, remove from holster, remove bag/paper, insert/remove from holster a few times. If still tight, repeat, if not, wear it.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Got to give a PLUS 1 on the wax paper solution...Have used wax paper on EVERY leather holster I've ever purchased...Minimal cost, maximum results...Just wrap the weapon in wax paper, insert, leave overnight. Remove next morning, and try the fit. If still VERY tight, repeat as necessary until you achieve a result which will allow you to insert weapon in holster, turn upside down, shake a lil bit, and weapon should remain in holster. JMO
    Mike1956 and BkCo1 like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Got to give a PLUS 1 on the wax paper solution...Have used wax paper on EVERY leather holster I've ever purchased...Minimal cost, maximum results...Just wrap the weapon in wax paper, insert, leave overnight. Remove next morning, and try the fit. If still VERY tight, repeat as necessary until you achieve a result which will allow you to insert weapon in holster, turn upside down, shake a lil bit, and weapon should remain in holster. JMO
    To all this I would add it may be necessary to add increasing layers of wax paper. It took four layers for me to achieve the desired fit for a PM9 in a Brommeland Max-Con V.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I've used the "Wax" paper method for years. It works for me....
    Tony

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    The plastic bag trick. I would not want to put anything on the inside of a leather holster.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Thanks to all for the contributions.....did the bag thingy....worked great....got just the right amount of stretch so extraction is no problem and still a secure grip......just ordered the Holster store Ruger LCP iwb holster and will do the same for it.....thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Just purchased a Mitch Rosen 5JR belt holster fitted for the Ruger LC9.

Great looking and quality made holster....LC9 goes in but need 4 people to extract it.....(it's new and tight) (boy is it tight).

They recommend Leather Lightning....don't know what is in it but they claim it does not penetrate the leather (you only put it in the inside of the holater).

anyone tried this product.....what did you think...

Thanks

Don
    Leather Lightning is a remarkable product, and I use it on my holsters and the ones I build for my customers. Mitch is a maestro, too, and there is a reason a holster fits tight, so don't go too far in terms of stretching the leather.

As many here know or have figured out, Rosen markets one of my rigs — the original "tuckable" (Gawd, I hate that term!) holster he calls "The Workman" but I call "The UNDERSHIRT" — and he has designed some dandies and he delivers a superb product.

You do not need a lot of that stuff on your leather. Indeed, the way I use it for my own purpose is to actually add a drop or two to the pistol, rub it around and insert, work the gun back and forth a couple of times and then head out the door. It's a proprietary formula and a surface treatment.

Get a couple of bottles because it's worth it.

I get remarkable speed out of a holster, especially one that is lined with smooth leather.

Sponsored Links