Would like your opinion

This is a discussion on Would like your opinion within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ron8903 Give blood - next time leave weapon in your car. no harm no foul NO, NO, NO....Next time, give blood, don't ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would like your opinion

Quote Originally Posted by ron8903 View Post
    Give blood - next time leave weapon in your car.
    no harm no foul
    NO, NO, NO....Next time, give blood, don't tell them you are carrying. Don't give in to the idiots.
    Doug

Sig P229 .357/.40, G17, G19, G23, G27, Bushmaster XM-15, Ruger PC9 Carbine, Win. 1300 'Defender' 12 Ga. (among others)

"When seconds count, the police are just minutes away."

2. Remove Ads

Interesting post by GlockinItUp, perhaps go with someone you trust, who is also armed, to hold your gun and cover for you (i.e. just in case looney comes in blasting into the blood bank - hey if it happens in schools, colleges, churches, whats next?).

If you don't know anyone who can watch your 6, find out where the LEOs donate blood and go when they go - at least there will be some guns around when you are being sucked dry.

My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by .45forme View Post
    And OH MY there is a little 8x11 sign, about knee high.That reads.(Bonfils Blood Center does not permit concealled or unconcealled weapons in the work place.)( Law enforcement ok
    Well, I'm in AZ and am not familiar with CO carry laws but since you asked for opinions...here you go. The sign is not on the entrance and only visible AFTER you entered the building and wandered around a bit. So, I would have to reason that it applies to the employees. Further, since it states "in the workplace", I would assume that to mean employees. If you are the donor, it is not your workplace.

In AZ, signs carry very little weight legally. About all they can do is ask you to leave. So me personally? I don't spend a whole lot of time worrying about 'em.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I heard the LEO shoots gun story from a Red Cross worker. While it is possibly true, sounds more like an urban legend invented by some anti-gun RC evec to justify their position. I had the RC worker tell me to go store my gun and come back.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

normally you can't carry in hospitals or clinics.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Quote Originally Posted by .45forme View Post
    Yesterday I went to give blood. Then I started waundering [sic] around, Reading the things on the wall. And OH MY there is a little 8x11 sign, about knee high.
    Here, it's got to be a conspicuous sign (posted at the entrance I believe). Knee-high doesn't qualify. If I saw the sign prior to donating, I'd leave. If after donating, I'd ask for the vial back, and then leave.

There are several local shops that take blood that don't attempt to disarm citizens in exchange. In either case, the blood ends up getting to those who need it. No need to feed a misguided organization.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ron8903 View Post
    Give blood - next time leave weapon in your car.
    no harm no foul
    I disagree with this line of thinking. If its legal for you to carry (I don't know your state's laws on signage, etc) then carry in there and keep it concealed. I carry into places all the time that have their no weapons signs, etc posted that do not meet our state's requirements. If its legal then you're doing nothing wrong. I guarantee if the SHTF they'd be glad you were still packing when you saved their bacon.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Give blood and get out without saying anything.......
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

CDH
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I heard the LEO shoots gun story from a Red Cross worker. While it is possibly true, sounds more like an urban legend invented by some anti-gun RC evec to justify their position. I had the RC worker tell me to go store my gun and come back.
    I'd like to emphasis three "high points" I've seen in this thread so far.

1. The LEO waking up and immediately drawing and pulling the trigger on his weapon is pure BS. That's a stupid statement made up by someone who wanted to justify their position and then repeated over and over and over... yes, just the way that urban legends begin.

2. As far as I know, in all states, two of the "no-go" places for concealed carry are hospitals and schools no matter whether they are posted or not. (They really should rethink that school thing, if you know what I mean.)
    I would imagine that bona-fide clinics come under the same umbrella, but I doubt if the simple procedure of giving blood would be covered if it was set up in a place of business or other place where CCW was generally allowed.

3. I can't speak for people outside of Texas, but our posting laws are very specific, and it's referred to as the "PC 30.06" law, simply named because it's the specific section in the Penal Code that covers the topic of posted places.
    In that code, it very specifically REQUIRES A SIGN WITH THE EXACT WORDING AS FOLLOWS:
    "Persuant to Section 30.06, Penal code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun".
    Additionally, the letters on the sign MUST be block letters one inch high, must be in both English and Spanish, and MUST be displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.
    If for example, the sign is home made and the letters are just 3/4" high, then you are NOT bound by law to obey that sign. Nor are you if the sign is hung in a location that is not "conspicuously" posted such as if the sign were put at the bottom of a door or on a side wall inside a large entrance.
    The law is quite clear about these things, and the smart business owners who are truly anti-gun go out and buy 30.06 signs that are made for the purpose so that they comply, and they also put them right at eye level on the entrance door where EVERYONE going through that door will run into it.
    Of course, they might as well post another sign right next to it that says: "Attention all criminals: Feel free to enter with your weapon and rob or kill as you wish because we can guarantee that you will be safe from any harm or injury to yourself... we've seen to that".

The legal and official notice is called simply the "30.06" sign, and if a business or entity other than the known prohibited places (again, hospitals and schools or whatever your state lists) does not comply with that code in Texas, then a CCW carrier WILL beat the rap if caught which is only a misdemeanor anyway.

I went to a public park this weekend where the entrance sign had a list of "no's" such as "no bottles", "no drinking", etc., and it included "No Weapons".
    Well, that is NOT a legal 30.06 sign so I walked in with a Commander in a 2:00 IWB holster which most people wouldn't notice but you know LEO's are trained to see the less obvious signs.
    Not only did my wife, niece, and I wander around the festival in that park for a couple of hours, but a LEO in uniform who was standing near me (while I was bored out of my mind waiting for wife & niece to buy some crap off of a nearby table) started a conversation about what great weather and other small talk. No talk about weapons, and I didn't worry about the telltale bump that I know he could see and didn't say anything about.
    Now, I'm sure if I were profiled as a gang-banger, the conversation might have gone differently, but like I said, if there is no 30.06 sign, I don't worry about.

That goes for restaraunts as well. I often go into restaraunts with "No weapons allowed" signs, but if it's not a 30.06 sign, I don't worry about it.

Check the exact wording of the laws in your own state and you might be surprised to see that just hanging a "No guns" sign somewhere does NOT legally prohibit your carrying on that property.
    Last edited by CDH; October 9th, 2006 at 08:21 AM.

BlueLion said "...normally you can't carry in hospitals or clinics..."

One must be careful about such generalizations. Here in Florida, there is no such blanket restriction. It depends on the individual establishment and even then, if posted, it is generally understood you must refuse to leave when asked to do so before the "armed trespass" laws apply.

Federal law does not apply and Florida statutes regarding firearms and concealed carry do not make any reference to signs or health facilities. Schools are a no-no as are government offices, airport passenger areas and athletic events, but hospitals and clinics are not mentioned and therefore are not "off-limits" so to speak.

Allan

in PA hospitals are NOTverboten.

Carry in hospitals

No ban in Colorado.

There's a ban in Missouri, but it's not criminal:
    "Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions 1) to (17) of subsection 20 of this section by any individual who holds concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to this section shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial to the premises or removal from the premises.

If you refuse to leave after being asked and the police are called, you will be fined $100. Second such offense in 6 months is $200 fine and suspension of permit. Third offense in 12 months is $500 fine and loss of permit for 3 years."

What are Colorado's specific prohibition posting requirements? They vary by state....TX requires a verbatim 30.06 posting, in OK a crayon sign on cardboard suffices.

If not a "legal" posting, I'd give blood and forget the sign. If it is a "legal" posting, find somewhere else next time.

BUT....keep giving blood! Somebody needs it, and you will probably save a life or two, or really help someone!

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    What are Colorado's specific prohibition posting requirements? They vary by state....TX requires a verbatim 30.06 posting
    There are no details in the relevant Colorado statutes---any text, any size, any location will do. There are relatively few places that do post, easily avoided.

Texas has the famously precise 30.06 sign, true; however there are other signs also legal in Texas. You have the 51% sign and a third type I saw on a trip to the Davis Mountains in March but don't remember the exact words. It was posted on a small grocery selling beer, which probably derived less than 51% of its revenue from selling alcohol.

Keep your gun on you and if you get made, just tell them you didn't see the sign, but it doesn't sound like the sign is the legally correct sign (see you penal code on handguns).
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links