Lousy advice

This is a discussion on Lousy advice within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can learn more here on the forum than I can from a gun mag which is basically one giant advertisement....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Lousy advice

I can learn more here on the forum than I can from a gun mag which is basically one giant advertisement.
    Armey and tcox4freedom like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

2. Remove Ads

OP, since you're such an expert at tactics, magazine layout and design, photography, and writing, when can we expect you to start your own rag?

StarPD45
    Is Gun tests still around? I subscribed back in the early '90s. They were like Consumer Reports for guns. They didn't accept any advertising.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StarPD45 View Post
    Is Gun tests still around? I subscribed back in the early '90s. They were like Consumer Reports for guns. They didn't accept any advertising.
    Yes, they are, and I subscribe to it. But they are declining too. They recently gave a high grade to a $1200 1911 that had to be sent back and have a defective extractor replaced. The gun was built with a part a tenth of an inch out of spec. How that is in any way acceptable I have no idea. They have failed guns for less, much less. For some reason they were willing to over look it with that gun. Their lack of objectivity is starting to show. If they do that again, I'll have to stop their magazine too. Objectivity is their primary product. When they lose that, the subscription price buys nothing.

The regular glossy gun magazines are really predictable. Worse than car and driver. They never met a new gun they didn't like. They write articles to hype new products for advertisers, and you would thing the latest 1911, a clone of the guns made for the last 100 years is somehow an innovation worth reading about because they smoothed off a sharp corner.

I can't tell you how many times I see the cover with yet another 1911 on the news stand and don't even bother to read what it says next to the picture.

And then there is all the zombie crap. Seriously? Is the Hornady board of directors all eleven years old? The magazines the write with zombie references in their articles and expect me to pay money to read that drivel?

Oh well ...

Fitch

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Distinguished Member
    Most of the gun mags and gun shows are nothing but ads from start to finish. Very little real info on anything else. Most hot rod shows are the same. Just there to make money. I don't buy the mags and I watch very few of the TV shows. It's a shame that is the way it is. And I can't stand the scripted dialogs in the TV shows.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    Most of the gun mags and gun shows are nothing but ads from start to finish. Very little real info on anything else. Most hot rod shows are the same. Just there to make money. I don't buy the mags and I watch very few of the TV shows. It's a shame that is the way it is. And I can't stand the scripted dialogs in the TV shows.
    Stopped reading magazines and watching television years ago, for exactly this reason of scripted spin.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    There is an aire of drama and sensationalism in firearms magazines these days. The local newspaper want to do an article on me shooting a while back. I declined since it was not something that would have benfited the public nor would it have given any educational information since the article would have been striped of that long before press time. I did offer to co-write an article on firearm safety but that offer was declined in short order. Now you see what their initial intent..

Regards!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

99% of shooting/SD advice I see is just common sense.

Ex Member
    Gun writers are expressing their OPINIONS.................nothing more. You want advice talk to someone who has ben there. I do get 5-6 mag/rags but it is for entertainment, NOT advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links