Lousy advice

Lousy advice

This is a discussion on Lousy advice within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've noticed that since I began reading gun and outdoor magazines (c. 1958) the quality of writing has steadily declined. I generally ignore it, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Lousy advice

Lousy advice

I've noticed that since I began reading gun and outdoor magazines (c. 1958) the quality of writing has steadily declined. I generally ignore it, but while perusing the magazine rack at the local Kroger's this evening I saw such a profound example of dangerous stupidity I had to mention it. The latest issue of Concealed Carry magazine contains an article by one Kevin R. Davis entitled "Revolvers to the Rescue." His mention of the importance of close-range practice includes a picture of Kevin R. at the range shooting at a silhouette target with a snubby at a range of about 5 feet one-handed with his arm fully extended to eye level...aiming. It violates common sense, as well as the advice of experts, as this approach offers your assailant the best possible chance of disarming you, deflecting your aim, or grabbing the revolver to lock up the cylinder. 5 feet is point-shooting range, and time to keep your weapon close to your body. I hope this guy's bad example doesn't get anybody killed.
    Armey and tcox4freedom like this.

To be fair, that was just a photo. Good point, though.

Now, if in an article discussing CQB they'd suggested that a straight-armed, extended, one-eye-closed method is best when engaging at contact distances, then it would rankle a bit.

I'd much prefer they had a known and respected CQB type firearms instructor's perspective to be the crux of the article, if they were going to focus on CQB tactics. Better still, a trio of them.

But then, most of these articles aren't gauged to be highest quality and objective. Many are meant simply to garner ad dollars and readership. Getting the best of the best to contribute to articles costs money.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Perhaps that was the only way he could hit his target.

Gun magazines are little more than pay-per-view advertisements. I stopped buying them years ago.

I certainly hope there are not many who take their training from them.
    varob and WHEC724 like this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Re: Lousy advice

I buy them for the pictures....

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    BenGoodLuck and Poseidon like this.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

I only buy them for the articles...
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska12 View Post
    I buy them for the pictures....

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    I buy them for the articles not the pictures. No, wait, that is the other magazine...
    Last edited by mkh; November 10th, 2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Spelling
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon Hickey View Post
    I've noticed that since I began reading gun and outdoor magazines (c. 1958) the quality of writing has steadily declined. I generally ignore it, but while perusing the magazine rack at the local Kroger's this evening I saw such a profound example of dangerous stupidity I had to mention it. The latest issue of Concealed Carry magazine contains an article by one Kevin R. Davis entitled "Revolvers to the Rescue." His mention of the importance of close-range practice includes a picture of Kevin R. at the range shooting at a silhouette target with a snubby at a range of about 5 feet one-handed with his arm fully extended to eye level...aiming. It violates common sense, as well as the advice of experts, as this approach offers your assailant the best possible chance of disarming you, deflecting your aim, or grabbing the revolver to lock up the cylinder. 5 feet is point-shooting range, and time to keep your weapon close to your body. I hope this guy's bad example doesn't get anybody killed.
    Good observation--but there is a problem: Who is there to hold sub-standard writers to account other than the readers of such articles?

One would hope that the Editors of such publications would carefully review and actually edit the articles that are submitted to them. However, it appears that the editors of some publications may be so grateful to get any article that appears to have been spell-checked that it is published without much collaboration with the author(s).

GH
    That's a good reason not to be tempted to buy one of those magazines while waiting in the checkout line.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

CCW9mm.................+1

It doesn't take long in looking through such magazines to see a host of problems - for instance, it often seems to me that they hire models for the pictures who have never held a handgun before and no one instructs them on how to do so. Cup and saucer grips, crossed thumbs on semis, grips too low on the back-strap, etc. In most cases I find few articles in them that are informative - love to see the ads - but if one has any experience and reads forums like this, chances are they will not find anything new in any of those sources. It is a market that has exploded and they are really there to make money.
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

Many if not most so-called gunwriters are just high priced salesmen. I can think of one who is with Ruger that just makes me sick every time one of their ads presents in front of me. I will overlook the magazine or turn the page. The ads do nothing for me and to a certain degree turn me off to their products over my perception of their representee.

A month or so ago I bought a bunch of Outdoor Life, Field and Stream, and a few other Outdoor magazines from the 20's and 30's. In looking at their articles you can feel the hunt. The perception is you are seeing what the writer is. The articles are about the adventure- the sport- the respect for the game. Not some indirect or not so indirect advertisement. Not about newfangled techniques or gimmicks. Those magazines are held in high regard.

Unfortunately, I feel my theory now hold true in gun magazines- the dysfunctional teach or in this case, write. Give me a poorly written, unbiased article any day over a scripted sales job.

Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    A month or so ago I bought a bunch of Outdoor Life, Field and Stream, and a few other Outdoor magazines from the 20's and 30's. In looking at their articles you can feel the hunt. The perception is you are seeing what the writer is. The articles are about the adventure- the sport- the respect for the game. Not some indirect or not so indirect advertisement. Not about newfangled techniques or gimmicks. Those magazines are held in high regard.

Unfortunately, I feel my theory now hold true in gun magazines- the dysfunctional teach or in this case, write. Give me a poorly written, unbiased article any day over a scripted sales job.
    Absolutely.

If more articles were written this way, competently regarding the subject, and unbiased (even if fraught with stylistic and presentation missteps that would make Strunk & White cringe), devoid of sales spin and blindness to the reader, I might even purchase a magazine again.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Gun Magazines are like Golf Magazines. They only have about a dozen or so articles, so they reword them a bit and run them year after year. Want to cure your slice? We can help you. A new look for ol slab sides, see the new batch of 1911s. Quit wasting my bucks on magazines years ago.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    That idea has been around a long time. Back in the mid 1980s I over heard a conversation at a gunshop that had a good reputation at the time. The counter guy was also their "firearms instructor". He was advising a young couple getting their first gun (one gun for 2 people) on close range defense. According to him he taught students to use sights no matter the distance, and that a gun grab from a non law enforcement person was nearly non-existant. Proof that the instructor needs to be competant.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I too stopped reading outdoor magazines when I found they were merely going over stuff I already knew. It's been years since I bought any so I can't speak to their decline in the quality of writing, but I've noticed a general lack of editing and proofreading in virtually all writing these days. Simple grammar and spelling mistakes are now the rule rather than the exception. Vague and incorrect sentence structure and incorrect word usage leave me wondering what the writer actually meant.

And I won't get into the "verb-ing" of English.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links