Indiana/Ohio Reciprocity Question

This is a discussion on Indiana/Ohio Reciprocity Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've yet to see any rationale why Ohio does not honor a Indiana carry permit? I understand the sovereignty of the states to enact laws, ...

Thread: Indiana/Ohio Reciprocity Question

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar

Indiana/Ohio Reciprocity Question

I've yet to see any rationale why Ohio does not honor a Indiana carry permit?

I understand the sovereignty of the states to enact laws, but this one in particular baffles me.

Indiana honors Ohio permits. The reverse is not true. Anyone know what their reasoning is?

Please don't bring up Illinois; I fully understand that state. .
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Maybe Ohio feels the requirements IN has established to get a permit are insufficient, in Ohio's opinion?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Lawriter - ORC - 109.69 Reciprocity agreement.
    The relevant sections are these:
    "(a) The eligibility requirements imposed by that license-issuing state for that license are substantially comparable to the eligibility requirements for a license to carry a concealed handgun issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.

(b) That license-issuing state recognizes a license to carry a concealed handgun issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code."
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    I've yet to see any rationale why Ohio does not honor a Indiana carry permit?

I understand the sovereignty of the states to enact laws, but this one in particular baffles me.

Indiana honors Ohio permits. The reverse is not true. Anyone know what their reasoning is?

Please don't bring up Illinois; I fully understand that state. .
    Indiana, like my state (Oklahoma) recognizes EVERYONE's permit. States that don't do this often have certain requirements for reciprocity. Check Ohio's laws on this and you'll see what it is, most likely.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

If Ive heard right Indiana does not require any form of training to obtain a carry permit. Ohio does and I think thats why Ohio wont honor Indiana permits. Which is bs if you ask me. If Indiana honors ohios they should honor Indianas.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    If Ive heard right Indiana does not require any form of training to obtain a carry permit. Ohio does and I think thats why Ohio wont honor Indiana permits. Which is bs if you ask me. If Indiana honors ohios they should honor Indianas.
    And why is that? Perhaps Ohio is holding its residents to a higher statndard of training, as in "a well-regulated militia."
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Ex Member
    If you are in Indiana get a Utah permit. With that, and Indiana you are good for like 38 states. Gander Mt. has classes on a regular basis.

Links