Mall. . . .

This is a discussion on Mall. . . . within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am working in the mall today and as I look at people walk by I notice a lot of people just walking with their ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mall. . . .

Mall. . . .

I am working in the mall today and as I look at people walk by I notice a lot of people just walking with their heads down and not paying any attention to anybody walking buy them. There are some pretty shady looking people around here and prob 99% of the people walking don't even know who passed them or what they have one. I just seen a lady walk out of JB Robinson with 2 watches and a necklace. Through out her transaction I noticed a guy sitting on the chair looking at this lady buy all this stuff. I thought to myuself that lady prob doesn't even know that she is being watch and she prob will not look around before she walks out of the store. Sure enough she walks out with her head down and not a worry in the world. ( Lucky for her the guy that was watching her just sat there drinking his coffee at Starbucks. Now what if that guy would of got up and followed her out? She had over $500 worth of jewelery, he would of made out like a king. (If she wasn't CCW.) Just thought I would share that with you because I am working until 9 pm.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Ricardo - oh so typical. Such a majority of folks in pure con white - many also might as well wear a ''victim available'' sign on their backs too. I am all but surprised these days to observe alertness.

In fact way back I did a thread on just this called ''Sheep Count''. I'll see if I can find url.

Yep, here it is - back in March - take a peek.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=8122
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Definate mentality.........

Have you noticed that most people don't even have the common courtesy to say 'hi'?

We live in a society of people that are so wrapped up in themselves they don't pay any attention to what goes on around them.

It doesn't matter what venue you are in either, you can be driving & see it, walking in a mall or down the street.....it's really sad to see.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Common courtesy? Gone, most uncommon these days. Clueless while driving? Oh, yea. Down here you take your life in your hands if you're not on top of you game everytime you go out. Our society is becoming more inwardly focused on self daily. It makes people more vulnerable and more likely to hurt others all the time.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Please don't take offence Ricardo but weren't you doing just what mr. Starbuck's coffee was doing? You also knew what she bought, how much it was worth etc. Some people like to people watch, perhaps he was killing time until his wife got out of another store.. Perhaps he was sizeing her up, we will never know. We as permit holders sometimes see "normal" activities and may misread what is really going on. I DO IT ALSO!
    Yes, we all need to be aware of whats happening around us, but in our lives ( as hecktic as they maybe) is it hard to understand why so many don't want to take on another task?
    Paranoia (awareness?) in measured amounts can save lives, but uncontrolled can also ruin lives.. Too bad the world has become a place where we may see ghosts that aren't always there..
    Not ripping you, I'm the same way at times. I'm railing against a world that makes us need to be this way.
    I wish you well, be safe.

There are a lot of folks that know of no other condition than white. So sad, so vulnerable, and very easy targets for BGs. Probably Democrats. (Sorry to any Demo members!)
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

I am a people watcher and usually look somewhat disreputable(helps me blend in) looking.Very few people will catch my eyes or for that matter even look at me. Were I a wolf, on any given day I could probably attach over 1000 sheep and they would never see me coming.

For the most part when I am out and about in public I keep an eye on my surroundings.
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

Quote Originally Posted by CraigJS View Post
    Paranoia (awareness?) ...
    Two completely, 180*-opposite things, of course.

Too bad the world has become a place where we may see ghosts that aren't always there.
    There is no free lunch. Certainly high-radar causes some loss, such as some being offended by the low-grade attention; some being insulted by the direct eye contact ('bangers, mostly); everyone unknown to me being treated with an initial arms-length appreciation, until something else has been earned.

I'm railing against a world that makes us need to be this way.
    I hear you. I'd love our society to be as carefree and relaxed as much of it was in the 1960's. Growing up had a certain simplicity. Even garden-variety stoners were easygoing. Didn't see many crimes beyond pick pockets and bank jobs, with the occasional item that appeared in the newspaper the next morning. Definitely more of a live / let-live type of arrangement. Now? Gawd, it's hard to see any parallels. Many of the "worst" of the sheep are still truly friendly, outgoing, open to any sort of contact ... truly simple in their approach to daily routines. But reality has changed many. It has certainly changed the dynamic of social interactions.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; October 6th, 2006 at 09:17 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

This is an issue which I wrote fairly extensively about in my book "Welcome to the Real World, A Dangerous Place to be Caught Unprepared!" (www.wttrw.com)

While I do agree that life can and often is very chaotic, there really is no excuse for being situationally un-aware.

It is just this type of behavior which will often be a contributing factor an individual being attacked. Why? Look at it from the attackers point of view.

You are the attacker. You see 2 people.

1.One has virtually NO clue as to what is going on around them other than what they are trying to do.

or

2. You are the attacker. The other appears alert and aware of thier surroundings.

Which would you rather attack?

Personally, I would rather the element of surprise and go after the one who is oblivious.

Be Safe

Bryan S. Williams
    Williams Associates Protective Services, LLC
    www.wa-protective.com
    www.wttrw.com

You want to talk about Condition White?? Heck, just walk down Las Vegas Blvd here (on the strip) and 95% are so intense in looking at the markee's, etc., that they havent got a clue on what is around them.
    Could that be why so many pickpockets roam the strip?? Muchless, the Assaults, Robberies and so on. This is why, if and when I have to go down to that area, and am in at least conditon Orange, especially at night.
    Even here at the Malls, one has to watch their backside, due to all the Gangbangers roaming inside and around the parking lots. I aways caution my boss (wife) about this; to double up with someone for some added protection. Course, we've all heard this before, but is good to put it out one more time. (No, she wont carry; doesnt like guns.... what can I say?? After 41 years, I just try and educate her)

John
    John
    XD40 Service
    S&W638 Airweight .38

Kahr CW9
    Hi-Point 995 Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by CraigJS View Post
    Please don't take offence Ricardo but weren't you doing just what mr. Starbuck's coffee was doing? You also knew what she bought, how much it was worth etc. Some people like to people watch, perhaps he was killing time until his wife got out of another store.. Perhaps he was sizeing her up, we will never know. We as permit holders sometimes see "normal" activities and may misread what is really going on. I DO IT ALSO!
    Yes, we all need to be aware of whats happening around us, but in our lives ( as hecktic as they maybe) is it hard to understand why so many don't want to take on another task?
    Paranoia (awareness?) in measured amounts can save lives, but uncontrolled can also ruin lives.. Too bad the world has become a place where we may see ghosts that aren't always there..
    Not ripping you, I'm the same way at times. I'm railing against a world that makes us need to be this way.
    I wish you well, be safe.
    I don't think he meant that the starbucks guy was bad for sizing her up. I think some of us tend to do it more than others. Some for good reasons, some for bad. The problem was that she appeared to have no situational awareness (typical of the mall sheeple with head hung low and not paying attention to what's going on around). Yes it can be paranoia, or we could misread situations, but you don't even get the chance to misread or be paraniod if you aren't looking .

One of the reasons I carry is because it gives me the need to always be aware of my surroundings. The added responsibility causes me to mentally stay alert.

I agree, too many sheep out there.

I like to play a game with my Daughter. She's 12 now. When we are walking around (the mall, the store, the street) together, out of the blue I will ask her, "What color shirt was the guy wearing that just passed us?", or "How many people are walking behind us right now?", or "What store did we just pass?". I play a game with her, and it's fun. I'm not trying to make her into Super Commando Girl or anything. I just like to play the game so that she gets use to being aware of her surroundings.

Great Idea

Seabee that is a great idea. That can help a child in so amny diffrent ways. My daughter is 9 mnths and I can't wait to do stuff like tht with her.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links