NRA questions and concerns ....insight wanted

This is a discussion on NRA questions and concerns ....insight wanted within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The NRA is a powerful voice for gun owners, but an irritant when it comes to the mailings and the repeated renewal notices. Years ago ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: NRA questions and concerns ....insight wanted

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The NRA is a powerful voice for gun owners, but an irritant when it comes to the mailings and the repeated renewal notices. Years ago I left the NRA for those very reasons; I may do so again. It's a shame they're continually asking for money to support "The Cause" only to piss it away on 3rd class mail.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

I have expressed my views on the NRA numerous times. But for this thread I will put it this simply: I have disagreed with some their issues in the past and I do not like the way they deliver their message (for all good intentions), fear mongering, and I could not get the emails to stop. But, my biggest gripe is that when I emailed them about how I felt as a current member (at least 28 times, I didn't look further back than that) I never got ONE response.

As a then paying member I would expect a letter in repsonse to the issues I have addressed. If they did not have time for me to write a email then I did not see the need to further putting money in their coffers. It is a respect thing.

But I do not tell people not to join. That it an individual thing.........
    The Dark likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I am a member of the NRA, and always will be. I won't rehash the pro's and con's others have listed, but will say that their dang close to fear mongering that every politician out there wants to take your guns does get tiresome. Plus, they constantly drive up the prices of ammo when they cause runs on the stores. But, unfortunately, in today's 30 seconds or less attention span, it's all that works.
    There's also an offshoot of the NRA called Friends of the NRA Friends of NRA - NRA Foundation which is the non-political side. My understanding is that they don't inundate your email and home mail with mass sendings.
    I have recently questioned some of their political backings. What I don''t want to happen is the NRA become self surviving only-- a union mentality. In other words, I don't want them spending 99% of their funding trying to raise more money and give little to no benefits to members. If I see that happening, I'm out. There's other 2A orgs out there.

I have been an NRA member for years and I do like the benefits. As far as the mailings go it gives me something to increase my recycling program. Only takes a few seconds to read the mail and make a choice. NRA helps keep our second amendment alive.
    lchamp likes this.

VIP Member
    The NRA isn't perfect. I don't agree with them 100%, but they do stand up for your 2A rights. Without their backing of the fight, I don't think you'd see CC laws in many of the states.
    oneshot, Jeanlouise and Yetiman like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I can only echo what many others have said here. i would ask just one question: does anyone seriously believe that we would have the gun rights that we have today without the NRA? I do not think so for one second. I do not have to agree with everything the organization does to appreciate the positive things. As for AARP, they are seriously anti-gun. This is a part of their platform so to speak. Frankly, I have a real problem supporting AARP when they take the position that I am essentially a bad person as a gun owner.
    oneshot, msgt/ret and BamaT like this.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

If you want to stand on the sidelines, and donate to an organization that does some good, the NRA may very well be your best bet. Especially now, with Obama in his second term, and the very real possibility of the scotus taking on another anti gun judge.

I would however say, as someone who has spent the past 5 years as a pro gun activist, that the NRA is largely useless at the state level, and even federal level, often only jumping on board with an effort after others already get it in motion and success appears likely. I could say a lot more, but being as this is a civil, polite forum, and being as I'm new here, I don't much wish to step on anyones toes too hard.

Thus, I would suggest NRA membership mostly as a back up plan, if no organizations at the state level are to your liking, because the state level often ends up being where meaningful success takes place, especially if you wish to get involved personally with events and things, as the VCDL and AZCDL demonstrate so well with their successes.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    There is no other gun rights organization with as much reach and influence that is working to further your gun rights as the NRA. You may not always agree with their stands on issues, and they are more likely to compromise on an issue today to gain a strategic advantage tomorrow, in contrast to some hard-line, take-no-prisoner RKBA groups. But overall, they do a lot of good for "our" side.

However - the NRA is not a charity and it requires substantial funds to keep it in business. When you join the NRA, you will get a lot of mail, the majority of which comes with a request for money - just like the AARP. However, unlike the AARP, as an NRA member you actually get to vote on the leadership by means of electing one-third of its directors every year (plus one elected to a 1-year term). Also unlike the AARP, the NRA sponsors lots of activities (like shooting matches, trainings, and safety programs), either for free or for just the cost of materials, thereby actually giving tangible benefits back to the membership.

As a gun owner, the single best way (IMO) to have your voice on RKBA issues heard by the politicians is to join the NRA.

Yeah, this is my take as well.

The NRA does occasionally call and ask for support (money). In fact, they called me yesterday and I gave them $100, plus I paid an extra $25 so that an enlisted service person could get a free year's NRA membership. Well worth it, especially in light of the recent election. I am very nervous about our future 2A rights.

ANYTHING you can do to enhance the NRA's membership rolls is vital to our 2A protection.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    And the NRA offers an opt out for the mailers.
    - It seems a lot of people miss this option. I haven't been called or solicited by the NRA, save for the single reminder that my yearly membership was almost over.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I don't get bombarded with requests for money from the NRA. I do other organizations. When I get something in the mail from the AARP I tear it up and send it back in their envelope with their postage. Guess they have understood the message yet as they still mail me stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - It seems a lot of people miss this option. I haven't been called or solicited by the NRA, save for the single reminder that my yearly membership was almost over.
    What he said !

Quote from the FAQ section of their Member Services page :

Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?
    A: Simply email us at membership@nrahq.org or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.

Be sure to include your name, address and member number.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It didn't work for me. I toss everything except the magazine until the real renewal time comes around.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    You will receive solitations for contributions and donations from the NRA but I don't see this as a bad thing really. If you choose not to donate simply pass the information along to someone else or just can it. Personally I would rather be contacted even if I am not interested than to be in the dark on some matters.

Regards!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

If you want to pay for junk mail scare tactics then join up.

I'm all for gun rights but the NRA can be as dishonest as the anti gunners.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

My biggest gripe with the NRA and Ducks Unlimited, the two largest lobbying organizations I belong to, is the money they waste sending out cheap gifts to get you to join. Both organizations do great work and I continue to support both, but both have very high administrative cost. If either one were a charity and spent the money they do on administrative cost I would never give them a dime.
    I have not found a good alternative to the NRA, and as there is strength in numbers I will always remain a member. DU, on the other hand, still receives my membership each year but Delta get not only a membership from me each year but also and extra I care to give.
    If it takes giving you a cheap azz duffel bag to join something as important as the NRA then you just don't get it. I wonder if membership would really decrease, or if new members would decrease, if they stopped offering gifts to join.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links