NRA questions and concerns ....insight wanted

This is a discussion on NRA questions and concerns ....insight wanted within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I joined AARP and spent the next year receiving request for donations on a weekly basis. Seemed to be their major concern. Thinking about joining ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: NRA questions and concerns ....insight wanted

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar

NRA questions and concerns ....insight wanted

I joined AARP and spent the next year receiving request for donations on a weekly basis. Seemed to be their major concern.

Thinking about joining NRA but don't want a repeat of the above. What would be my advantages of NRA membership other than the free duffel bag. ??

Thanks........

Don

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    NRA is not an anti gun, liberal organization.
    AARP is.
    YMMV.
    sniper58, lchamp, jrclen and 14 others like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

There is no other gun rights organization with as much reach and influence that is working to further your gun rights as the NRA. You may not always agree with their stands on issues, and they are more likely to compromise on an issue today to gain a strategic advantage tomorrow, in contrast to some hard-line, take-no-prisoner RKBA groups. But overall, they do a lot of good for "our" side.

However - the NRA is not a charity and it requires substantial funds to keep it in business. When you join the NRA, you will get a lot of mail, the majority of which comes with a request for money - just like the AARP. However, unlike the AARP, as an NRA member you actually get to vote on the leadership by means of electing one-third of its directors every year (plus one elected to a 1-year term). Also unlike the AARP, the NRA sponsors lots of activities (like shooting matches, trainings, and safety programs), either for free or for just the cost of materials, thereby actually giving tangible benefits back to the membership.

As a gun owner, the single best way (IMO) to have your voice on RKBA issues heard by the politicians is to join the NRA.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Second Amendment Foundation Online

1,000 times better than the NRA because they get case law on the books. It is a lot more efficient and a lot more final than the NRA. But all in all both are needed.
    Sher Khan and carracer like this.

Re: NRA questions and concerns ....insight wanted

I like their American Rifleman magazine.

I don't agree with some of their methods, but I really like the magazine.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    BigJon10125, carracer and dbglock like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

AARP supports Obamacare and I suggest changing over to AMAC regardless of the current political situation.
    Jeanlouise, msgt/ret, RAL and 5 others like this.

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Dealing with junk mail is not as bad as a loss of rights.
    Get the duffle bag and support one of the strongest lobbiest groups we have.
    Diddle, BamaT, Jeanlouise and 1 others like this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

The NRA is not perfect, but it is a highly effective lobbying machine. I'm a life member and occasionally made donations to the NRA-ILA and NRA-PVF. You can also get discounts from a number of different companies. I've gotten discounted hotel rooms and rental cars. It wasn't a huge savings, but it was enough to buy a few more rounds of practice ammo.

AARP sold out to Obama to become a sole provider under Obamacare via one of their insurance policies. They were very Anti-2A prior to that anyway.

NRA does a good job for gun-owners. IMHO we should all belong.
    oneshot, MrsHB, msgt/ret and 3 others like this.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

I'm an NRA member and regularly purchase products from MidwayUSA to take advantage of their NRA Round-Up Program. When completing the sales transaction, the amount that is rounded up the nearest dollar (there are other options) goes to the NRA.

I may not always agree with some of the NRA's tactics but always support their strategic goal of preserving the Second Amendment.

mkh
    I get renewal notices even though I am not up for renewal but that is about it for nuisance mail from the NRA.

And the NRA offers an opt out for the mailers.
    joker1, MrsHB and tokerblue like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    I joined AARP and spent the next year receiving request for donations on a weekly basis. Seemed to be their major concern.

Thinking about joining NRA but don't want a repeat of the above. What would be my advantages of NRA membership other than the free duffel bag. ??

Thanks........

Don
    The NRA does look for donations from its members quite often. NRA plus: the do fight the good fight for many gun rights issues. I believe we would worse off without the organization.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Firearms insurance comes with NRA membership. Not just theft, but it also includes loss of use. So if your shotgun winds up on the bottom of the lake, you're covered with no deductible and full replacement cost up to $2,500. This is in addition to your homeowner's or renter's coverage. The NRA policy does NOT cover scopes or other accessories (magazines, etc.), but it's a great benefit! Here's from the NRA site: Benefits of Membership

NRA Membership Benefits
    These basic membership benefits are automatically included with your NRA Annual Membership or Life Membership, along with special members-only discounts and services.

An official NRA Membership ID card - showing your Membership ID number and expiration date or Life Member status. You should carry this card with you at all times.

With all regular memberships, you will get a choice of subscription to American Rifleman, American Hunter, or America's 1st Freedom,

Junior members receive a subscription to Insights,

Annual members receive $5,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage at NO COST to you. The plan covers accidents at, or to and from, an NRA event; and accidents that occur during the use of firearms or hunting equipment while hunting. Insurance must be activated at time of renewal. (Does not include Junior membership.)

Life members receive $10,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage at NO COST to you. The plan covers accidents at, or to and from, an NRA event; and accidents that occur during the use of firearms or hunting equipment while hunting. Insurance must be activated at time of upgrade to Life member status

Law Enforcement Officers, that are NRA members, killed in the line of duty will have $25,000 in coverage.

$2,500 of ArmsCare coverage with your NRA membership. This plan covers insured firearms, air guns, bows and arrows against theft, accidental loss, and damage. Insurance must be activated.

For purposes of insurance, NRA members must be current active members of the NRA whose name appears on the NRA membership list. Activation is required.

New and Enhanced insurance coverages through the NRA Endorsed Insurance Programs. Enroll on-line for Life, Health and Accident and Individual Property and Liability insurance or call Toll free 1-877-NRA-3006 (1-877-672-3006.) New Commercial Property Liability Insurance Program for NRA Affiliated Clubs and Business Alliance Members, visit on-line or call Toll Free 1-877-487-5407.
    The most important benefit of NRA membership, however, is the defense of your Constitutional right to keep and bear arms. NRA-ILA tracks the issues and alerts members about legislation involving firearms and hunting at the federal, state and local levels of government. Successful legislative action begins with you -- the individual member. For information regarding legislative action or to become an ILA grassroots volunteer, call 1-800-392-8683.

If you have questions about your NRA membership, please send e-mail to membership@nrahq.org
    P5 and Rock and Glock like this.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post

Thanks........

Don
    AARP will mail you things to death ... the are also very liberal and anti - 2a. I'm with ASA .... American Seniors Assoc..... very 2A supportive, and will NOT mail you things to death at all.

NRA... you may be "stuff" via email or mail .... for donations to the Legal and Political fund.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links