Handgun for fiancee - Page 2

Handgun for fiancee

This is a discussion on Handgun for fiancee within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It sounds to me as though she doesn't really intend to do much practice. It seems she is reluctant and just trying to please you. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Handgun for fiancee

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    It sounds to me as though she doesn't really intend to do much practice. It seems she is reluctant and just trying to please you. This being a distinct possibility do not consider safeties on SA semi-autos (1911 style). In high stress situations unless you are well trained most people will forget to flip the safety off. This has happened to law enforcement officers who were not completely familiar with their duty weapon. A decocker would be best in her situation. As far as caliber goes a medium calber such as 9mm may be the ticket. Also remember the lighter the handgun the more recoil will be felt. As others mentioned let her pick her own gun. Then you can give the money for it later or buy it yourself and give it to her as a present. Personally I would give the money and let her buy it herslf that way she can experience the whole process. If the gun is say a house gun (not one carried in public) you may also consider a short barreled 20 gauge shotgun. Even if she does get the handgun a shotgun may not be a bad companion weapon. My wife has my 2 1/2" S&W 66 as her handgun but I am looking for a short barrled left hand 20 gauge shotgun for her as my right hand 12 gauges don't quite fit her properly. Happy hunting and good luck on everything else. Stay safe.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Let her shoot them first!!! I nearly bought my wife a PPK .380 before letting her shoot it. She's recoil sensitive too. It bruised her hand after two shots. The combination of small size, narrow grip and direct blowback recoil was more than she could stand. We ended up buying her a Glock 26 9mm. It has a little more weight, wider grip and locked breach recoil that made this gun much more comfortable for her to shoot despite the 9mm being a heavier load.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidfx View Post
    @Kel: yes she LOVES ME! LOL

Thanks so far for all the replies
    I can only wish and hope that your purchase becomes an item that never ever is used for the purpose it was intended. Wishing you and your fiancee a blessed, healthy, happy and prosperous life together. G-d Bless.

VIP Member
    @1Moregoodguy: While I will be "buying" it..SHE will be choosing the gun that I will be paying for.
    I said nothing about helping her make a decision...help all you want with the decision making process.

Do not purchase a firearm for someone else. In other words, do not buy a gun and give it to someone else.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbglock View Post
    Yes and no. My wife knows more about Soviet politics than handguns, so I certainly couldn't just turn her loose in a gun store and say, "I'll meet you in the car." What I'm going to do is present her with several options, explaining differences (not my opinions) in them along the way and then let her make the final decision. .40 cal won't be among the options. When she shoots my G23 she practically throws it back over her head, but she's fine with our son's gun, a snub-nosed .38. She likes the S&W Bodyguard but I want her to consider semi-auto's before buying a 5-shot wheelgun. But I don't think she'll be able to stuff a mag with any round bigger than a .22.
    I said nothing about helping her make a decision...help all you want with the decision making process.

Do not purchase a firearm for someone else. In other words, do not buy a gun and give it to someone else.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Do not under any circumstances purchase a firearm for someone else. Let them make their own purchase and then give them a cash gift later.

The SR9C is a pretty good choice. Also, have her take a look at the Walther PPQ and PPS.
    Have to agree. I carry a sr9c but the glock 19 is pretty nice too. I also carry a snub nose .38 special so don't count those out either.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

I did basically the same thing with my wife. I had her focus on how the gun felt in her hand (if it's comfortable to her, she'll shoot it more). She ended up getting a Bersa Firestorm .380. She loves it & it's her EDC. She also fell in love with my Sig P226 & bought herself the P226 E2. I have to admit, she's a wicked-good shot with both.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

So, in talking with my fiancee she has agreed to let me buy her a pistol for protection for when I am not around. I feel she should carry whether I am there or not but she doesn't. I'll work on that later. However, she has said she'll let me buy her a handgun as well as to take some classes and possibly get her CCW.
    My advice - wait until after she's taken those shooting classes and is fully on board with the CC idea before setting out to purchase a CC gun for her. Don't "work on" getting her to do anything she isn't comfortable with. I think a lot of men make a big mistake by pressuring their SO into guns, and then telling her what, how, and when she needs to carry.

Get her some classes with a great instructor then let her tell you what she wants to do after that.

If she decides to purse-carry, she'll need a purse made for that purpose. Like any decent purse - they are not cheap. Galco has some nice options, and the Cornered Cat has good info on purse carry safety issues.

Good luck.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    My recoil phobic wife has fragile 70 year old hands. She tried everything and absolutely fell in love with her SIG P238. She loves to shoot it, has no trouble with the manual of arms, clearing jams, etc. It has excellent sights that are also night sights. Can be loaded, unloaded, and cleared with the safety on. Has much less percieved recoil than an all steel .38 SP snubby, and is easy to conceal.

I'd highly recommend you have her shoot one to see if she likes it.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

My wife loves her 9mm shield. When we shoot i make her engage/disengagethe safety every time she shoots to build her muscle memory. She shoots it very well and it fits in her purse/ jeep center console very well.
    PROTECT THE FLOCK, CONFRONT THE WOLF.....

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    My wife carries a Sig P238. Recently, I rented a Sig P239 9mm, and she really liked that. It's a little large for her purse, but she is more accurate with it and she says the recoil is less, even with the larger 9mm instead of the .380 round. I really like the SA trigger on the 239, and I like the DA carry aspect of the gun.

mrm
    @Chesafreak: She has committed initially to going out with me at least once a month to practice. It's a start. The laser on the BG was one reason that it was included on the list above.

@1Moregoodguy: While I will be "buying" it..SHE will be choosing the gun that I will be paying for.
    Well speaking from experience the laser on the bodyguard is worthless for anything other than training because I have one and know lots of people who do also and getting the laser on in a hurry is almost impossible, So anyway I made the mistake of buying it for my wife (now it is my Bug ankle gun cause she dont like it at all) she went and purchased a S&W shield 9mm and loves it, also she is very recoil sensitive to.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Thanks everyone for all the replies.

We just happened to be out last night and seeing the LGS she suggested we stop so she could look. She held a few and came away with a list that she would like to try shooting. She hinted that she's not ready to CC just yet and so a full size is not out of the question at the moment, but she did not rule out any compacts either.

M&P9 & 9c
    XD9 & 9c
    Sig P2022
    Kahr CW9

She looked at a few of the thinner guns like the Walther PPK and came away saying, "too thin" or "too small." A lot of you suggested the Shield, but I have a feeling that finding one is going to be difficult. Let alone one to shoot. Calling today to see if anyone has one. We'll be heading to the range this weekend to rent a few and see where she's at.

Thanks again for all the advice everyone. I really appreciate it!

Kahr's are nice guns and I was going to suggest looking at them. My wife's experience went like this.

S&W 459 in .45- actually liked shooting it but way too heavy.
    Keltec P3at- Loved the size, hated the recoil.
    G19- shot it fine, did not like the grip
    G26- same as G19
    XDsc9- LOVED IT!!! Shot the lights out with it. Way too heavy for her to carry and it sat on the armoire.
    Kahr CW9- Shoots it well, loves the grip, actually carries it.

The G26 and XDsc we rented and she got to shoot them. Although she loved shooting the XD she would not listen to me when I told her it might be too big to CC. So take that into account unless you are not worried about buying 2 guns. The weight is not too important until you tote it around all day.

Good luck
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links